Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tiny screws in eyeglass frames

How can I pick up the tiny screws and align them into the holes in the frames?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/15/2015 01:46 PM, gary wrote:
How can I pick up the tiny screws and align them into the holes in the frames?

tweezers or small needle-nose
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 11:46:04 -0700 (PDT), gary
wrote:

How can I pick up the tiny screws and align them into the holes in the frames?

Very carefully. Would melted candle wax help?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I use a small medical clamp that can locked so that the screw can be
picked-up, held and inserted into the hole.

"gary" wrote in message

How can I pick up the tiny screwsole and align them into the holes in the
frames?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 1:46:14 PM UTC-5, gary wrote:
How can I pick up the tiny screws and align them into the holes in the frames?

Try some Vaseline. A tiny bit on the end of the little screwdriver will stick to the tiny screw allowing you to set it in place then you can maneuver the screwdriver tip around to get it into the slot. Use a Q-tip to clean the petroleum jelly off when you're done. Something like wheel bearing grease would work too but it may damage the plastic eyeglass fame and it's toxic compared to Vaseline. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Greasy Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/15/2015 1:46 PM, gary wrote:
How can I pick up the tiny screws and align them into the holes in the frames?

I generally just use a tiny dab of petroleum jelly or the like on the
tip of the jeweler's screwdriver; it's sufficient to pick up the screw
by the slot and hold it to get it in place. Even a drop of water _can_
be enough with some...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 12:08:59 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 1:46:14 PM UTC-5, gary wrote:
How can I pick up the tiny screws and align them into the holes in the frames?

Try some Vaseline. A tiny bit on the end of the little screwdriver will stick to the tiny screw allowing you to set it in place then you can maneuver the screwdriver tip around to get it into the slot. Use a Q-tip to clean the petroleum jelly off when you're done. Something like wheel bearing grease would work too but it may damage the plastic eyeglass fame and it's toxic compared to Vaseline. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Greasy Monster

Perhaps magnetize the screwdriver tip?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How can I pick up the tiny screws and align them into the holes in the frames?

VERY carefully!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/15/2015 2:46 PM, gary wrote:
How can I pick up the tiny screws and align them into the holes in the frames?

Eyeglass screwdriver kit. Small magnet or magnetize the required driver.
Put screw on end of driver. Insert into hole and screw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/15/2015 2:46 PM, gary wrote:
How can I pick up the tiny screws and align them into the holes in the frames?

A magnetic screwdriver?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 1:46:14 PM UTC-5, gary wrote:
How can I pick up the tiny screws and align them into the holes in the frames?

Try some Vaseline. A tiny bit on the end of the little screwdriver will stick to the tiny screw allowing you to set it in place then you can maneuver the screwdriver tip around to get it into the slot. Use a Q-tip to clean the petroleum jelly off when you're done. Something like wheel bearing grease would work too but it may damage the plastic eyeglass fame and it's toxic compared to Vaseline. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Greasy Monster

Perhaps magnetize the screwdriver tip?

Those screws aren't usually magnetic since they need to be rust resistant. Some of the eyeglass frames are titanium and I must wonder if they're held together with titanium screws. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Screwy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks all for your suggestions.

I was able to loosen the screws just enough to get the lenses out of the old frames and put the lenses in to the new frames without removing the screws and having them disappear into the carpet never to be found again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 15 Sep 2015 18:53:06 -0700 (PDT), gary
wrote:

Thanks all for your suggestions.

I was able to loosen the screws just enough to get the lenses out of the old frames and put the lenses in to the new frames without removing the screws and having them disappear into the carpet never to be found again.

Never do something like this over carpet in the first place.

Never do it on a glass-topped desk I learned that with a pocket watch
when I was 13 years old.

Never do it with hardwood floors unless they have no cracks between
boards.

Actually it's best to use a table with a piece of one-color cloth spread
on it, to stop bouncing. Maybe sit on the floor too.

Wrap cellophane tape around your fingers sticky side out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

This time, I worked over an upside-down white box lid so, if any screws did fall, they'd be caught.

(In the past, I worked on a table top but the screws rolled off and onto the carpet).

Posted to alt.home.repair

gary wrote in news:554ec51b-d509-4c38-92e5-
:

How can I pick up the tiny screws and align them into the holes in the frames?

Dip the tip of your screwdriver into anything sticky: vaseline, honey, strawberry jam...

Posted to alt.home.repair

gary wrote in
:

Thanks all for your suggestions.

I was able to loosen the screws just enough to get the lenses
out of the old frames and put the lenses in to the new frames
without removing the screws and having them disappear into the
carpet never to be found again.

Always do such work over a table or countertop so that if you drop a screw you'll be able to
find it easily.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 5:13:27 PM UTC-5, Doug Miller wrote:
gary wrote in
:

Thanks all for your suggestions.

I was able to loosen the screws just enough to get the lenses
out of the old frames and put the lenses in to the new frames
without removing the screws and having them disappear into the
carpet never to be found again.

Always do such work over a table or countertop so that if you drop a screw you'll be able to
find it easily.

I'd always lay a white towel or washcloth on my work table whenever I was working on something that was held together with tiny screws. Tiny screws and parts won't bounce or roll off the terry cloth. Another thing I used to do when repairing a lot of stuff was to use a muffin pan for separating the different screws and parts during each step in the disassembly process. The pan works well to hold the different parts when building an electronic project. One thing about the pan though, think about some double stick tape under it to hold it in place on the workbench in case you're clumsy, like me. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Muffin Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message . ..
gary wrote in
:

Thanks all for your suggestions.

I was able to loosen the screws just enough to get the lenses
out of the old frames and put the lenses in to the new frames
without removing the screws and having them disappear into the
carpet never to be found again.

Always do such work over a table or countertop so that if you drop a screw you'll be able to find it easily.

As an expert at losing parts, I never take anything apart any more unless it's on a large tray and having a couple of containers for parts. I keep a couple of those large plastic lids from peanut cans don't take up much space in a tool box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

gary wrote in
:

Thanks all for your suggestions.

I was able to loosen the screws just enough to get the lenses
out of the old frames and put the lenses in to the new frames
without removing the screws and having them disappear into the
carpet never to be found again.

I had a couple of problems with plastic frame recent glasses. First, the hinges were stuck. Moving them would have damaged the frame or temple bars. I tried loosening the screws and adding a drop of oil, but could not get them to budge. Eventually I got another frame from the mfr. Instructions were to run the old glasses under hot water and when flexible, pop out the lenses. While doing this I squirted some dish detergent on the glasses and instantly the hinges loosened up completely. So I ended using the original frames.

The hinges were not bend or binding -- just evidently they used the wrong lube, or glue got into them. Both hinges were like this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gary" wrote in message

How can I pick up the tiny screws and align them into the holes in the
frames?

Very carefully, son.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.misc,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.waterways

"Uncle Monster" wrote in message

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 1:46:14 PM UTC-5, gary wrote:
How can I pick up the tiny screws and align them into the holes in the
frames?

Try some Vaseline. A tiny bit on the end of the little screwdriver will
stick to the tiny screw allowing you to set it in place then you can
maneuver the screwdriver tip around to get it into the slot. Use a Q-tip to
clean the petroleum jelly off when you're done. Something like wheel bearing
grease would work too but it may damage the plastic eyeglass fame and it's
toxic compared to Vaseline. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Greasy Monster

Mister Greasy Monster? Miss Recktum has axed me to axe you about using some
Vaseline on her colostomy bag gasket. Would that make a good seal?
Over........................

Posted to alt.home.repair

Above all - a project like this should be done in a cookie
sheet or plastic tray with a tall rim. That way all parts stay
within hands reach.

Cheap frames have fully threaded screws(from head
to tip) that will work loose over a short time. Better
frames have screws that are threaded only half-way
or so(NO thread facing the surface of the hole through
the arm). Even better ones use a nut flush-mounted
on bottom side of lens frame.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 16 Sep 2015 16:26:16 -0700 (PDT), Uncle
Monster wrote:

[...]

What's good are those pill dispensers with a section for each day of the
week. When I took apart a camera, first stage screws went in Sunday,
next stage Monday. I used all 7 days.

[8~{} Uncle Muffin Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 16 Sep 2015 22:10:36 +0000 (UTC), Doug
Miller wrote:

gary wrote in news:554ec51b-d509-4c38-92e5-
:

How can I pick up the tiny screws and align them into the holes in the frames?

Dip the tip of your screwdriver into anything sticky: vaseline, honey, strawberry jam...

I've got some left-over strawberry jelly, but no bread or peanut butter.

Can I mix it with water and make a strawberry drink?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Monster wrote:

[...]

I have two of those 7 day plastic pill boxes. One marked AM and the other PM. I was taking a ton of medication at one time. Those boxes would be good for keeping the parts separated when you must wait a while to reassemble something when waiting for replacement parts to arrive. I have dozens of compartmentalized plastic boxes of all sizes that are the best things ever for carrying screws, nuts, bolts and other parts needed for a service call or installation. I've used some of them when disassembling a piece of equipment to do as you do to separate the parts. I also made notes and used my digital camera to take pictures of the parts removed so I'd know exactly how to reassemble the item I was working on. If you have one of those smartass phones, I suppose you can use it to document your repair job. Ain't technology amazin? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Pill Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/19/2015 08:27 PM, micky wrote:

[snip]

What's good are those pill dispensers with a section for each day of the
week. When I took apart a camera, first stage screws went in Sunday,
next stage Monday. I used all 7 days.

[8~{} Uncle Muffin Monster

But be sure those compartments have INDIVIDUAL lids. I had a plastic one
once, 7 compartments with a common lid. It was way too springy, making
it nearly impossible to access one compartment without ejecting the
contents of ALL compartments.

and that leads to another consideration; don't work over carpet, where
you can't find the tiny screws.

--
97 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"We are the Pentium Borg. You will be approximated."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/19/2015 09:22 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

[snip]

[...]

I have some of those little boxes and find them very useful (the boxes
without the auto-eject mechanism).