toller

Default Garage Door Opener-Capacitor gone bad?

About a month ago my Liftmaster 1265 stopped running. It would just hum for
about 2 seconds and stop. Liftmaster said the limit switch has been
overrun, so I played with that. When I move the limit back, the opener
hummed for 2 seconds, paused, and then hummed for 2 seconds with a slightly
different pitch.

Someone here said the problem was probably a leaking capacitor. I took the
cover off, but the capacitor looked fine. But when I touched the capacitor
the opener suddenly started running. It was okay for 2 days, then stopped
again. I touched the capacitor again and it ran okay for 5 minutes, then
stopped. Now touching does not help.

I figured there was loose wire, but I sure can't find one. Liftmaster says
it is probably a bad capacitor for $20; and if not that, a bad logic board
for $85.

Does a bad capacitor make sense? Could touching a bad capacitor make it run
for a while? Obviously they won't be taking the capacitor back if it
doesn't help.

This is so so frustrating.

toller

"Samuel Warren" wrote in message
Sounds like to me that PCB connection has broke lose from it's solder
connection. Have a skilled electronics friend resolder the connection to
the PCB board for you.

Can you elaborate on what a PCB connection is, and how I identify it? All
the wires are firmly attached, but if it is something smaller i wouldn't
have seen it. Thanks.

Abe

Someone here said the problem was probably a leaking capacitor. I took the
cover off, but the capacitor looked fine. But when I touched the capacitor
the opener suddenly started running. It was okay for 2 days, then stopped
again. I touched the capacitor again and it ran okay for 5 minutes, then
stopped. Now touching does not help.

I figured there was loose wire, but I sure can't find one. Liftmaster says
it is probably a bad capacitor for $20; and if not that, a bad logic board
for $85.

Does a bad capacitor make sense? Could touching a bad capacitor make it run
for a while? Obviously they won't be taking the capacitor back if it
doesn't help.

---------------
I'm can't help you troubleshoot the problem, but if you want to try a
new capacitor, take the old one along with the wiring schematic to an
electronics store. You can get a new one for under a dollar.
Tony Hwang

toller wrote:
[...]

Hi,
How is the capacitor mounted? On the body of motor? On a logic board?
Any lead wires from capacitor? Then where is the wires going?
No wires and mounted on a logic board, then vibration cracked solder
joints causing intermittent problem. Resolder them and reinforce it with
a drop of epoxy.
Good luck,
Tony
P.S. You can't tell whether capacitor is good or bad by just looking.
Tony Hwang

Abe wrote:
[...]

If it's starting cap for the motor. It will cost more than a dollar for
sure.
Tony

toller wrote:

About a month ago my Liftmaster 1265 stopped running. It
would just hum for about 2 seconds and stop. Liftmaster
said the limit switch has been overrun, so I played with
that. When I move the limit back, the opener hummed for
2 seconds, paused, and then hummed for 2 seconds with
a slightly different pitch.

Someone here said the problem was probably a leaking
capacitor. I took the cover off, but the capacitor
looked fine. But when I touched the capacitor the
opener suddenly started running. It was okay for 2
days, then stopped again. I touched the capacitor again
and it ran okay for 5 minutes, then stopped. Now
touching does not help.

Did you remove the cover without disconnecting the AC power first?
That can be risky, not only because of the potential for electric shock
but also for the opener to start accidentally and grab your finger or
hair.

I'd first disconnect the AC and see if the connections to the motor
capacitor are loose. Reseat any push-on spade connectors, and tighten
any screw eyelet connectors. If that doesn't help, then you may have a
bad motor capacitor or a bad connection elsewhere. Vibration from the
motor can make solder joints crack on the printed circuit board (PCB),
but the cracks can be microscopic, so some technicians simply resolder
almost everything (start with connectors and larger, heavier component
connections).

Since the motor capacitor is an oil-filled one, it can be tested fairly
well with just an ordinary volt-ohm meter -- see www.repairfaq.org for
instructions and also for safety advice. These capacitors are
available from almost any electrical supply but not from electronic
supplies, which rarely carry oil-filled capacitors. Liftmaster is made
by Chamberlain, which also makes Sears Craftsman openers, and Sears is
sometimes cheaper for parts.

Playintennis5274

electronics stores don't carry that size caps. i have an older liftmaster like
this and same type problem , i tracked it down to the contacts were covered w/
carbon and other crap cleaned and fixed my problem. . then one of torsion
springs broke
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to toller, Matt wrote:
The capacitor can cause it not to run because that is what gives the motor the
initial start you can get a capacitor at homedepot or at any garage door
dealer just be sure and put the wires in the same place

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ad-591327-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 5, 2005 at 10:34:50 AM UTC-6, toller wrote:
[...]

IF he doesn't have it working after 11 years, it isn't worthwhile replying to him
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 10:44:05 AM UTC-5, Matt wrote:
replying to toller, Matt wrote:
The capacitor can cause it not to run because that is what gives the motor the
initial start you can get a capacitor at homedepot or at any garage door
dealer just be sure and put the wires in the same place
--

Unfortunately, 10 years ago, Toller was killed when his garage door came down on him and crushed his throat. Investigators determined that he had been screwing around with the opener and had bypassed all the safeties. He was survived by a wife, 3 ex-wives, 14 children and 346 gerbils. The gerbils really miss him. It was a very tragic event. (́_̀)

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 20:52:30 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

Unfortunately, 10 years ago, Toller was killed when his garage door came down on him and crushed his throat. Investigators determined that he had been screwing around with the opener and had bypassed all the safeties. He was survived by a wife, 3 ex-wives, 14 children and 346 gerbils. The gerbils really miss him. It was a very tragic event. (??_??)

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster

.... sadly, all the gerbils have since died

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to hrhofmann, BobbyVee wrote:
Hilarious!

--