Default Running water line.

I am wanting to run water line about 250 feet to my garden. Thinking
about using a ditch witch. Are these hard to use?

Will there be very little pressure going that far? I plan on using
sprinklers to cover my 50 x 50 goot garden.

Also, the garden is not perfectly straight inline with the area of the
house the waterline would need to come out of. Is this a problem.

Also in between the two are my fiel lines? How do I get around that?

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
I am wanting to run water line about 250 feet to my garden. Thinking
about using a ditch witch. Are these hard to use?

Depends. If you are a 6' 6" football player, no. If you are 72 years old
and weigh 98 pounds, maybe.

Will there be very little pressure going that far? I plan on using
sprinklers to cover my 50 x 50 goot garden.

Should be OK. Read up on sprinklers, installation, blowing the water out
for winter etc.

Also, the garden is not perfectly straight inline with the area of the
house the waterline would need to come out of. Is this a problem.

Tubing bends.

Also in between the two are my fiel lines? How do I get around that?

I don't know what a fiel line is. If it is anything like a fuel line, you
surely don't want to cut them. Depends on the depth how you would get
around, over, or under them.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Ment to say "field lines" (Septic tank)

Colbyt

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am wanting to run water line about 250 feet to my garden. Thinking
about using a ditch witch. Are these hard to use?

Will there be very little pressure going that far? I plan on using
sprinklers to cover my 50 x 50 goot garden.

Also, the garden is not perfectly straight inline with the area of the
house the waterline would need to come out of. Is this a problem.

Also in between the two are my fiel lines? How do I get around that?

You will need to get this below freeze level for your area or you will need
to make provisions for blowing the water out of the line each Fall.

A ditch witch is only slightly more difficult than a tiller once you get the
hang of using it. It is about the only method I would use to dig a 250'
ditch.

The use of a 1" poly pipe will allow you to bend the pipe around and large
trees or to achieve the alignment you want. The 1" poly will act as a small
storage tank so when you convert back to 3/4" for the faucet you may have
better flow and pressure than you started with.

Your field lines may be a problem. Do you know how deep they are at the
point you must cross? You really should not mess with them if your septic
system is working correctly. Poly pipe is cheap and the witch is fun to use
maybe you could go around the field. A lot of this depends on the freeze
level for your area.

Colbyt

How do I hook the line up to the house water supply?

Colbyt

wrote in message
oups.com...
How do I hook the line up to the house water supply?

You mean if you use the plastic pipe?

Simple. You add a shut off valve, back-flow preventer and buy whatever
adaptors are needed. There is a safe legal way to go from whatever you have
to the poly pipe. Post back the size of the line you are tapping into and I
or some one else will try to name the parts you need for conversion. You
should use metal pipe until you are below grade.

Colbyt

Jeff

wrote in message oups.com...
I am wanting to run water line about 250 feet to my garden. Thinking
about using a ditch witch. Are these hard to use?

Ditch Witch makes a number of different sized machines. Everything from smaller walk behinds to very large ride-on tractors. To dig
something that long, make sure you don't rent one of the very small machines made by GroundHog or Veneer. These things are moved by
you and not the engine. The larger the machine, the less work it is. The larger Ditch Witch walk-behind models are not only
self-propelled, but also steerable. If you are not going in a straight line, you might consider one of the steerable machines if
they are available for rent in your area. If the ground is fairly flat and landscaped, you shouldn't have much trouble with a large
machine. If you are working on muddy or uneven ground, the smaller non-steerable versions can be difficult to maneuver. The other
day I was watching a very well built 240 pound 30 year old landscaper working down the street with a non-steerable Ditch Witch model
1300. He was having a very difficult time with the machine and complaining that a steerable version wasn't available for rent.

I am not sure. I guess I will tie into the pipe that is underground
that goes from my meter to the house. I am guessing it is 3/4 or 1 inch
pvc.