pinya

Default tile grout options

I live on the third story of a 5-story condo building, and our
Homeowners association requires that we put a specific cork sound
barrier down under any hard floors we
install--http://www.amorimsolutions.com/acousticork. So we are having
1000 square feet of porcelain tile installed over the Acousticork R60
6mm cork which is on top of our concrete underlayment and that is all
fine and good. The problem now is with the sanded grout we are using
http://www.tecspecialty.com/ with acrylic grout additive that our
installers have used many times with success. But in our case, they
have grouted a small area, and after several days, it still seems to be
flaking off- just not very hard like it should be. We can scratch it
out fairly easily with the grout removal tool, much easier than with
the grout in our bathroom which has been there for 10 years. On top of
that, the installers said they test jumped on it and the grout is
starting to show crack lines.

Now our installers are saying they've talked to a more experienced tile
installer in town, as well as some kind of National Tile Association,
and both have told them we need to put epoxy grout.

My question is, has anyone out there had to use cork underlayment under
a tile installation, and what type of grout did you use? I'm a little
against using epoxy grout, I don't think it should be necessary in a
condo with only two people living there, and it's such a toxic
chemical. I would like to find out if normal sanded grout with the
acrylic should be okay, and maybe something else is causing this
problem.

m Ransley

Maybe a bad or old batch of grout, old as in improperly stored in high
humidity and the cement has already partialy cured, bad as in a factory
mistake of the cement mix .
Try a different new batch , from a different company, just a guess.

Tile Council of America Installation Guidelines are on the internet.
It occurs to me that a cleavage membrane or membrane waterproofing may
be needed between the cork and the tile setting bed. This would insure
that the cork does not affect the mortar set.

TB

Michael Baugh

Why is the cork on TOP of the concrete underlayment?

"pinya" wrote in message
oups.com...
So we are having
1000 square feet of porcelain tile installed over the Acousticork R60
6mm cork which is on top of our concrete underlayment

John B

"pinya" wrote in message
I'm a little
against using epoxy grout, I don't think it should be necessary in a
condo with only two people living there.

irrelevant, and faulty critereon for any design consideration

m Ransley

Does the cork company recomend tile directly over cork. Cork is not
completely ridgid. I hope you are holding All of the cash owed till you
know everything is correct. Any flexing under tile can cause cracks and
tiles to eventualy loosen.

pinya

It seems that like you say, the flexing is the culprit. We did our own
tests on the tile this weekend, jumping on it, and it did weaken the
grout until it was crumbling. We even broke a tile just jumping very
hard on it. You can even see the tile move a tiny bit when the other
person is jumping on it. Whether it's the cork, our concrete
underlayment, or the way it was layed I don't know.

The cork company website shows tile directly over the cork and I
believe our contractors talked to them (the company Acousticork) before
installation. We have already tried two different bags of the grout.
A sales representative from TEC, the grout company, is coming over
tomorrow to take a look; but it looks like we may have no choice but to
put epoxy after all. I'll post the results when it's all said and
done.

Thanks.

m Ransley

If you are cracking tile and it flexes NO grout will help, you will
probably have to rip it up and start again as no flex should be there.
Bad news but you hired a hack. Get a few Pros out the tile store and
talk to the tile Co, get opinions in writing to confirm this.
Photograph it Video it, and talk to a lawyer. Cork being the problem or
not subfloor is NG. I dont know who is at fault, I hope the cork Co as
they have deep pockets. If tiles crack now wait 5 yrs, they will be
comming loose.

pinya

You were right. What finally happened is that we found out the tilers
had done a 5-point mortar installation, meaning they put a thin layer
of mortar on top of the cork, but really only had the tile cemented to
the floor at the corners and the center of the tile. The Acousticork
company AND the tile assocation of america both said that was NOT going
to work, especially over cork. So the tilers removed everything (the
upside of the bad installation was that they were able to easily remove
the tiles without breaking them) and retiled it all the normal,
mortar-everywhere way, as well as putting epoxy grout in which
acousticork said was necessary. Aside from being out of our condo for
2 months, we're very happy with the way it turned out now.