ChrisGW

Default Copper Tubing Question

My house was built in 1955 and there is 1/2 O.D. tubing coming into the utility
room for the washer hook up. I need to change fittings (elbows) and can not find
anything that will fit over the 1/2 inch O.D. I have been looking in Lowes (Box
store). What should I be asking for or have they stopped making these items?

I find plenty of fittings to fit 1/2 inch copper pipe, but not tubing.

Thanks
ChrisGW

Joe Bobst

I need to change fittings (elbows) and can not find anything that will fit
over the 1/2 inch O.D.

You will likely need to use flare fittings. Check the stock at Ace Hardware or
NAPA and buy a flaring tool while you're at it. There should be lots of
adapters to NPT fittings. Good luck.

Joe

Greg O

"ChrisGW" wrote in message
My house was built in 1955 and there is 1/2 O.D. tubing coming into the
utility room for the washer hook up. I need to change fittings (elbows)
and can not find anything that will fit over the 1/2 inch O.D. I have been
looking in Lowes (Box store). What should I be asking for or have they
stopped making these items?

I find plenty of fittings to fit 1/2 inch copper pipe, but not tubing.

Thanks
ChrisGW

You can buy sweat fittings for 1/2" OD, but not at any home store. A
plumbing or HVAC supply house will have them. We have a rack full of them at
work. Perhaps a plumber may have them, but you will not find them at the
usual homeowner retail stores.
Greg

Speedy Jim

ChrisGW wrote:

My house was built in 1955 and there is 1/2 O.D. tubing coming into the
utility room for the washer hook up. I need to change fittings (elbows)
and can not find anything that will fit over the 1/2 inch O.D. I have
been looking in Lowes (Box store). What should I be asking for or have
they stopped making these items?

I find plenty of fittings to fit 1/2 inch copper pipe, but not tubing.

Thanks
ChrisGW

Odd that they would use such a small diam for washer supply.

You can get a copper coupling to go from 1/2" OD to 1/2"C (trade
size). Then use 1/2" C pipe to go to any common fittings.
As Greg said, not a big box item.

Jim
Greg O

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message

Odd that they would use such a small diam for washer supply.

You can get a copper coupling to go from 1/2" OD to 1/2"C (trade
size). Then use 1/2" C pipe to go to any common fittings.
As Greg said, not a big box item.

Jim

My mom's whole house is plumbed with 3/8" OD soft copper! No crawl space,
but there is a space between the floor and the dirt below, not deep enough
to consider it a crawl space. Seems the previous owner pulled 3/8" copper
with fish tape to the appropriate places. Strangely enough, all the fixtures
have good water flow. I guess the city has good water pressure to make up
the differance.
Greg

John B

Is there a reliability difference between "soft copper" flexible tubing, and
standard L copper piping?
Is flexible tubing permissible under Uniform Plumbing Code. I suppose it
is, but it is probably more expensive. I've never used it.

BobK207

www.mcmaster.com

ChrisGW

ChrisGW wrote:
My house was built in 1955 and there is 1/2 O.D. tubing coming into the
utility room for the washer hook up. I need to change fittings (elbows)
and can not find anything that will fit over the 1/2 inch O.D. I have
been looking in Lowes (Box store). What should I be asking for or have
they stopped making these items?

I find plenty of fittings to fit 1/2 inch copper pipe, but not tubing.

Thanks
ChrisGW

Thanks guys. I never thought about using flare fittings. I will be going to a
plumbing supply store Monday to get some 1/2" fittings . It is a small place,
but will keep my fingers crossed. If they do not have I will try flare fittings.
I have a flaring tool, so that works out also.

Thanks again

ChrisGW

Stormin Mormon

There's half inch actual, and half inch nominal. If it's actually half inch,
thats the dimension AC and refrigeration fittings use. Might want to see if
you can find an AC or refrigeration guy to get you some fittings.

Can you cut a length of half inch (nominal) copper pipe, a couple inches
long. see if that slips onto your half inch (actual). You might be able to
slip some half inch (nominal) over the end of the tube, sweat it on, and go
from there with the nominal fittings.

Half inch (nominal) copper tubing works nicely to make bushings for worn out
lawn mower wheels. File the hole in the wheel out a little, and cut a length
of copper as long as the wheel is thick. Squeeze the copper tubing in and
then it fits right back onto th e half inch (actual) diameter bolt.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Aluminum wiring... Roy Metalworking 15 February 20th 05 07:20 PM
copper and gasoline [email protected] Metalworking 28 January 9th 05 08:10 PM
Copper Casting In America (Trevelyan) Yuri Kuchinsky Metalworking 330 July 21st 04 11:59 PM
Determining Geologic Sources of Native American Copper Yuri Kuchinsky Metalworking 92 June 23rd 04 05:21 PM