Steve

Default weekend project. replacing slide in stove with free standing. seeking advice?

Old electric stove is at least 35 years old and its got to go. Old
stove/oven slides into a small section of counter/cabinets right next to the
refridgerator. I plan on ripping this whole stove section out and putting in
a free standing stove. They seem cheaper and there are more selections
available. I think I will eventualy have to add some tile under the new
stove and all the cabinets need replacing anyway. Right now I just want to
get the new stove in place swo we can cook.

My questions!

I assume the old slide in stove is hard wired.
Will I be able to just add the proper receptical on these same wires and
plug the new stove into the existing line with the new receptical?
If so this part seems easy enough.

Also interested on opinions of the choice of coils or smooth top burners. We
are going out tonight to purchase the new stove.

Thanks for any advice.

Steve

Charles Spitzer

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

1: does the old stove have 3 or 4 wire run to it
2: will the new one fit
3: does the new one come with a cord/plug

smooth tops are far easier to clean, and keep clean.

Steve

1: does the old stove have 3 or 4 wire run to it

We will choose the new range tonight and make sure they have it in stock .
Tonight I will remove old stove and find out how its wired in.
If everything looks good I'll buy the stove tommorrow and install it.

2: will the new one fit

Yes, new range will be 30" wide standard. Old insert stove is 27"wide with
2" of counter on each side. Plus there is a fridge to the side of the range
that could be moved over a couple of inches if needed.

3: does the new one come with a cord/plug

I'll find out tonight. If so I'll see what kind of receptical I will need.

smooth tops are far easier to clean, and keep clean.

Our three concerns with the flat top are, #1 - can you tell when its hot? Do
they glow or do you tell they are on by seeing a little light is on? #2 -
Will the surface scratch? #3 - Someone told me you couldnt use glass on
them?

Some of this info may be answered by the salesmen tonight.

Thanks

Steve

Charles Spitzer

"Steve" wrote in message

[...]

1: they all have some sort of light to indicate they are hot. it only takes
once putting your hand on it to learn to look at the light. damhikt.
2: yes, but it's hard to. it can also stain from burning on sugar containing
substances. you can easily clean it with a single edged razorblade and a
little water.
3: false.

Some of this info may be answered by the salesmen tonight.

Thanks

Steve

Wayne Whitney

On 2005-01-28, Steve wrote:

Our three concerns with the flat top are . . . #3 - Someone told me
you couldnt use glass on them?

This is true of an older smooth top technology, which used an electric
coil to induce current in metallic cookware (maybe it had to be
ferrous?). I believe the newer technologies do not have this
limitation, perhaps they use infrared lights?

Cheers, Wayne