Default How Dish Network Setup 4 Receivers in a House?

I would like to know how Dish Network installer may setup cabling and
splitter to install four receivers in a house.

Currently, I am using DirecTV (with 2 receivers), and I plan to replace
it with Dish Network (with 4 receivers) in the near future.

I have already setup a central panel where the video cables from all
the rooms home run to it. Currently, DirecTV has two video cables
coming from the satellite dish, and I extend them to reach the central
panel, and directly hook up to the video connections of two rooms. I
don't use any splitter because I only have 2 receivers and there are
only two video cables coming from the satellite dish.

Now, I want to know how Dish Network installer will install cabling in
my house, and whether they will need a splitter. Hopefully, I can do
most of the work myself; then I can use better quality video cable than
what the installer will use, and hopefully I can save the $50
additional installation fee for 4 receivers with foreign TV programs.

My questions a

- How many video cables come from one satellite dish of Dish Network?
One, two, or four? I am under the impression that if I need to receive
foreign TV shows via Dish Network, I need two satellite dishes. And if
each dish comes with 2 video cables, I will have totally 4 video cables
coming from satellite dishes. If this is the case, I don't really need
a splitter to split the video to 4 receivers; I can simply connect each
incoming video cable to each receiver (via the central panel).

- If there is only a combined total of one or two video cables coming
from the satellite dish(es). I assume we need a splitter to split the
video signal to 4 receivers. Which splitter do they use?

I really prefer to do this cabling myself. The DirecTV installer ran
cable all over the place including horizontal surface in outdoor where
squirrels chewed it up. And the cable is thin video cable instead of
thick shielded cable. Therefore, I prefer to limit the installer to
mount the satellite dish, run video cables from the satellite dish to
the basement, tune the satellite dish and receivers, and I will finish
all the cabling indoor myself.
Thanks for any info in advance.

Jay Chan

Matt

Jay -

Recc. you post this over at: rec.video.satellite.dbs - looks like they
have the knowledge you seek.

Matt

Thanks for the link. I will go there and ask around.

Jay Chan

Jim Yanik

wrote in
ups.com:

[...]

from the antennas I've examined,there's a separate coax from the LNB to
each receiver.The 4 receiver Dish antenna has two LNBs,each with dual
outputs.
The LNB coax cable has to be wideband,low-loss and presumably well-
shielded.(900-1400 Mhz,IIRC)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Percival P. Cassidy

Obviously different installers do things differently. Our 3-receiver
DirecTV system (including one DirecTivo box) has an elliptical
triple-LNB dish. Two RG6 cables (complete with the "hanger" wire, as
used by the cable TV companies) come straight down from the dish into
the house, and all other connections are inside the house: one is split
to feed all three receivers, and the second one goes to the second input
on the DirecTivo (dual tuners).

My only complaints a

1. They didn't ground the dish, other than through the shield of the cable.

2. They used a 4-way splitter and (I only just noticed when I went to
check on something in order to write this message) did not use
terminator caps on the two unused outputs.

Perce

On 01/26/05 11:41 am tossed the following
ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

[...]

~KJPRO~

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
Obviously different installers do things differently. Our 3-receiver
DirecTV system (including one DirecTivo box) has an elliptical
triple-LNB dish. Two RG6 cables (complete with the "hanger" wire, as
used by the cable TV companies) come straight down from the dish into
the house, and all other connections are inside the house: one is split
to feed all three receivers, and the second one goes to the second input
on the DirecTivo (dual tuners).

DishNet looks at different sats through different LNBF, this is why they
require multiple cables.

My only complaints a

1. They didn't ground the dish, other than through the shield of the

cable.

No big deal.

2. They used a 4-way splitter and (I only just noticed when I went to
check on something in order to write this message) did not use
terminator caps on the two unused outputs.

Another no big deal.

~kjpro~

[...]

Thanks for the info.

This means I should expect to see 4 video cables coming from Dish
Network dishes. And I don't need to use a video-splitter. Good. I will
ask the installer to route those 4 cables to the central panel in my
basement where I will connect those 4 cables to the video connector
corresponding to the rooms that should get the receivers.
OK, now I know what to talk to the installer.

Jay Chan

Good to know that your DirecTV installer at least keep the cables
indoor instead of running the cables
indoor-and-then-outdoor-and-then-indoor-again.

The DirecTV installer grounded the dish to a metal rod that is also
being used as a ground by the power company.

I don't quite understand why this is bad not to cap those two unused
outputs. Are you afraid of dust getting into the connectors? How does
the cap look like?

Jay Chan

It's not just a cap; it is a metal connector with a 75 ohm resistor
inside it to act as a load when a TV is not connected to the outlet.
Splitters are designed for specific loads on the outputs. If a load
is missing, all kinds of ugly things happen such as reflections, huge
losses at some frequencies etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for explaining why we may need a "cap" on unused TV connectors
in a splitter. Currently, I only plan on replacing DirecTV with Dish
Network, and Dish Network will have four cables coming in to connect to
four receivers; this means there will not be any splitter involved, and
there will not be any unused connector. Therefore, I don't need to
worry about "cap" for now.

This info will become helpful if I later on decide to install a HDTV
antenna for getting off-the-air HDTV signal; in that case, I will need
to use a splitter to split video signal coming from the HDTV antenna,
and I will likely have some connectors in the splitter unused.

Jay Chan

David Combs

In article .com,
wrote:
It's not just a cap; it is a metal connector with a 75 ohm resistor
inside it to act as a load when a TV is not connected to the outlet.
Splitters are designed for specific loads on the outputs. If a load
is missing, all kinds of ugly things happen such as reflections, huge
losses at some frequencies etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for explaining why we may need a "cap" on unused TV connectors
in a splitter. Currently, I only plan on replacing DirecTV with Dish
Network, and Dish Network will have four cables coming in to connect to
four receivers; this means there will not be any splitter involved, and

^^^^^^^^^

there will not be any unused connector. Therefore, I don't need to
worry about "cap" for now.

This info will become helpful if I later on decide to install a HDTV
antenna for getting off-the-air HDTV signal; in that case, I will need
to use a splitter to split video signal coming from the HDTV antenna,
and I will likely have some connectors in the splitter unused.

Jay Chan

Re the vocab used he what is a "receiver"?

A plain tv or vcr -- or something specially related to satellite connections?

Thanks,

David

Another question: (as you can see I know *nothing* about satellite tv, not yet)

Say you've got four tv's in the house.

And two dishes -- per earlier post from someone, so that you
can see foreign tv too (if that is true).

Now, how do you hook each tv to this system, in a way that
each one can watch whatever channel it wants, plus whether
foreign or not?

Is there some kind of a network-controller that distributes the
desired signal to the tv that wants it?

Or just physical connection to each, with a rats-nest of
cables hooked in behind each tv?

Or what?

Thanks

David (totally ignorant on this subject, eager to learn)

I am really not an expert in this area. I "try" to answer your
questions:

what is a "receiver"?

I was referring to a satellite receiver that not only decodes the
encrypted signal from the satellite, but also converts the digital
signal from the satellite into analog format that my old TV can handle.
I have 3 TVs and 1 PC in my house and I want to watch TV in all 4
devices (each tunes to a different channel); therefore, I need 4
satellite receivers.

Say you've got four tv's in the house.

And two dishes -- per earlier post from someone, so that you
can see foreign tv too (if that is true).

The foreign TV channels are also coming from the satellite company --
just like other channels. They are not free. I need to pay a monthly
fee for them. This is not like those people who use a large satellite
dish mounted on their yard to capture free signal. I am not certain
whether you are thinking along that line or not; I just want to point
this out. This DISH Network thing and DirecTV thing are different;
they are more like cable TV.

Now, how do you hook each tv to this system, in a way that
each one can watch whatever channel it wants, plus whether
foreign or not?

Yes, that is as long as each TV has a satellite receiver.

Is there some kind of a network-controller that distributes the
desired signal to the tv that wants it?

Not sure whether there is such a device in the market.

Well, I have sort-of accomplished this by using computer-networking. I
have a PC that runs Beyond-TV 3.5.2 and a hardware TV tuner card. That
PC records TV shows that I want to watch. And then I have two MediaMVP
devices ($90 each) that are connecting to the PC through a home
computer network (100Mbps). I not only can use the MediaMVP to watch
recorded shows, but also can use it to watch live-TV and change channel
and such (with the help of something called "Beyond-TV Skin"). This
means I can watch live-TV from a TV that doesn't have a dedicated
satellite receiver. The catches a (1) The PC only has one receiver
and can only tune to one channel; if someone wants to use the PC to
watch one channel, those two MediaMVP will have to show the same
channel; likewise, if someone changes channel using one of the
MediaMVP, the PC and the second MediaMVP will have to watch that
channel. Personally, I find this to be inconvenient. This is the reason
why I want to switch from DirecTV (that only gave me 2 receivers) to
DISH Network (that will give me 4 receivers with a lower monthly fee).
Then, I don't need this trick to watch live-TV from a TV that doesn't
have a receiver.

Beyond-TV also comes with something called a Beyond-TV-Link that allows
a second PC to change channels in the first PC if the first PC has
multiple receivers and multiple TV tuners. But this requires the cost
of the second PC.

Microsoft has something similar called Media-Center-Extender that works
with their Media-Center-2005-Edition. But this requires the cost of the
Media-Center-Extender (around $275 to $299).

Therefore, paying $5 extra per month for the additional receivers seems
like a better deal. This is especially true that we may get a HDTV by
the end of this year. This doesn't make sense to pay a lot upfront for
devices that area not HDTV-ready. None of the options that I mentioned
above are HDTV ready. Therefore, I choose the lowest cost option that
is to pay $5 extra per month. When the HDTV situation becomes clear, we
can re-visit this issue.

Or just physical connection to each, with a rats-nest of
cables hooked in behind each tv?

Let say I have switched to DISH Network (not yet, will be soon). I
expect to see 4 video cables coming from the satellite dish(s). I will
ask the installer to route those 4 cables to a closet. In the closet, I
have already had a central panel available where I have already run
individual cable to each area in my house. Let say I have 4 bed rooms,
1 living room, and 1 finished basement. I will have 6 individual video
cables coming from each of those 6 areas and all home-run to the
closet. I will connect those 4 cables (from satellite dish) to 4 of the
6 cables. The video cables for the other 2 areas are left unused. You
can see an example of the central panel in www.lanshack.com that has a
sample-home-network (the link is in the left hand side of the page).

David (totally ignorant on this subject, eager to learn)

You may be interested in a book called "HDTV for Dummies". I read it
and I like it (never mind the title of the book). That book not only
talks about HDTV and also the various way of connection. I find it
useful even though I don't have a HDTV in my house yet.

Jay Chan

I said too early. I investigate this a little bit further and I find
that the better way of sending video to multiple locations using DISH
Network in the house is different from what I originally thought. The
low cost way is to use two DISH Network dual tuners receiver; then I
only need to pay $5 extra per month for the second dual-tuner receiver
instead of $15 extra per month if I use 4 separated receivers (the
first one is covered, and the additional 3 are $5 each per month).

This is cheaper this way, and I can see different shows in each of the
4 location.

The catches a

- One dual tuner receiver serves two TVs. I need to run an extra video
cable from the dual tuner receiver to the second TV location. This is
OK with me because running cable in those locations are quite easy.

- I can only have mono audio (not stereo) in the second TV location.
And the video is RF quality, not S-video, and not even composite video
quality. This means the second TV must be a low quality TV. This is
something that I don't like; but this is something that I will live
with in order to keep the monthly fee down; moreover, I probably cannot
tell the difference anyway (given that the secondary TV is low quality
TV anyway).

You can see the details by downloading the user guide of their DISH 322
dual tuner receiver from their web site.

Jay Chan

Matt

I respectfully disagree. The signal between the sat. and the tuner may
be digital... but the signal between the tuner and the tv is not. From
personal experience... Svideo is much better than composite which is
much better than RF.

the signal coming from the Dish is digital. Getting the
high-quality cables you mentioned before is probably not going to

give
you better picture quality.

You may be right. But using the high quality cable is still a good
idea. The reason is that I may use it to send decoded video in one
room, and use it to send digital signal from the satellite in another
room. Therefore, I am better off using the high quality one through out
the house and not worry about which specific quality of video cable to
use in any specific room.

I come to realize that I need to use it to transmit decoded analog
video in some rooms when I read the spec of the DISH Network 322
dual-tuner receiver.

Second, the "splitter" is not really a plain
splitter as you would use for an analog cable signal. It's more like

an
NxM switch that allows each tuner to connect to any LNB on any of the

dishes.
This could mean that the "cap" (terminator) is not really needed, ...

Thanks for the information.

... but more
importantly: if you were to connect each of the 4 cables coming from

the
dishes directly to an input on a tuner, then each tuner would be

limited as
to what channels can be watched on it. You probably don't want that.

I didn't know this. Seem like the cable configuration for DISH Network
may not be the same as that's for DirecTV. The oval satellite dish that
I have for DirecTV only has two cables coming down and each connects to
one receiver. Seem like I should not pre-install anything until the
DISH Network installer comes to install the dishes. He will come this
Saturday. I will see how it goes.

Jay Chan

The DISH Network installer finished installing the dishes in past
weekend. He installed two round dishes on the roof. Each dish has one
cable coming down and feed to one receiver (DISH 322 dual tuner
receiver).

One strange thing is that when the cable reaches the receiver, the
installer puts a device to split the cable into two. And those two
cables get connected to the back of the dual tuner receiver. I have a
feeling that each dish is supposed to have two cables coming down. The
installer might decide to combine the signal of those two cables into
one cable; then he only need to run one cable instead of two for each
dish. This way, he could use the existing two cables of my old DirecTV
oval dish without pulling new wire. This is just a guess. So far, I
don't see any difference in video/audio quality. I guess this is OK.
If what I think is correct, this means we may see a total of two or
four cables coming down from two round dishes depending on how the
installer decides to do at that day.

Just try to update this message thread and kind of closing it.

Jay Chan

David Combs

Thank you for the education! (tutorial, actually)

David