effi

Default recessed lighting? no thank you

some recessed lighting is absolutely horrendous in design

have notice some that are ic rated (supposedly okay to come in contact with
insulation) yet they have:
- holes in the housing (fiberglass dust, carcinogenic, from the attic
can pass right through them, as well as other types of harmful to human dust
which accumulates in attics)
- fiberglass placed INSIDE the housing (exposed to the interior of the
home) by the manufacturer

few would cut a hole in their ceilings to allow air flow from the attic to
enter the house, yet this is what is done when some recessed lights are
installed

supposedly even the air tight recessed housings are not 100% air tight
between the living area and the attic

Matt

Effi,

You need to get some counseling. Your constant harping about cancer and
cancer causing materials has become worrisome.

Chip C

effi wrote:
[...]

Should there not be a vapour barrier anywhere there is thermal
insulation, such as the ceiling under an attic? Even IC-rated devices
do not provide a vapour barrier, but are supposed to be compatible with
one when properly installed. (Possibly you need to get a specific
vapour barrier that matches the fixture.) The vapour barrier would keep
insulation where it belongs.

Having said that, currently legal insulation is not ("yet" you might
add) officially recognized to be carcinogenic. Current code cannot
protect us from hazards that are not yet identified and accepted as
such by authorities.
Not to say that I much like recessed lights.

Chip C

effi

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Effi,

You need to get some counseling. Your constant harping about cancer and
cancer causing materials has become worrisome.

plonk!

effi

plonk!

"bill a" wrote in message
. com...
bubble boy is back

"effi" wrote in message
some recessed lighting is absolutely horrendous in design

have notice some that are ic rated (supposedly okay to come in contact
with insulation) yet they have:
- holes in the housing (fiberglass dust, carcinogenic, from the attic
can pass right through them, as well as other types of harmful to human
dust which accumulates in attics)
- fiberglass placed INSIDE the housing (exposed to the interior of the
home) by the manufacturer

few would cut a hole in their ceilings to allow air flow from the attic
to enter the house, yet this is what is done when some recessed lights
are installed

supposedly even the air tight recessed housings are not 100% air tight
between the living area and the attic

effi

"Chip C" wrote in message
oups.com...
effi wrote:
[...]

not in humid areas

Even IC-rated devices
do not provide a vapour barrier, but are supposed to be compatible with
one when properly installed. (Possibly you need to get a specific
vapour barrier that matches the fixture.) The vapour barrier would keep
insulation where it belongs.

recessed lights must have 3" of space between them and insulation
horizontally

above them there is to be nothing so the heat can dissipate upwards

per national electric code in the usa

Having said that, currently legal insulation is not ("yet" you might
add) officially recognized to be carcinogenic.

recheck california, you have a surprise looming on the horizon ; )

Current code cannot
protect us from hazards that are not yet identified and accepted as
such by authorities.

current code is based on profits; fads start in california which recognizes
fiberglass is a "potential carcinogen"

reality is that fiberglass *is* carcinogenic, and reality is a bitch

Not to say that I much like recessed lights.

i'm with ya on that one

Chip C

effi

wrote in message
On 26 Jan 2005 07:26:14 -0800, "Matt" wrote:

Effi,

You need to get some counseling. Your constant harping about cancer and
cancer causing materials has become worrisome.

The single biggest cause of cancer is stress from worrying about it.

BB

stick to sailing...

Matt

And the sooner, the better!

willshak

On 1/26/2005 1:53 PM US(ET), effi took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

plonk!

Can I be plonked too? I want to be in the majority.

"bill a" wrote in message
.com...

bubble boy is back

--
Bill

Matt

Plonk!

effi

"willshak" wrote in message
On 1/26/2005 1:53 PM US(ET), effi took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

plonk!

Can I be plonked too? I want to be in the majority.

perhaps, stick around, we'll see

"bill a" wrote in message
y.com...

bubble boy is back

"effi" wrote in message

some recessed lighting is absolutely horrendous in design

have notice some that are ic rated (supposedly okay to come in contact
with insulation) yet they have:
- holes in the housing (fiberglass dust, carcinogenic, from the attic
can pass right through them, as well as other types of harmful to human
dust which accumulates in attics)
- fiberglass placed INSIDE the housing (exposed to the interior of
the home) by the manufacturer

few would cut a hole in their ceilings to allow air flow from the attic
to enter the house, yet this is what is done when some recessed lights
are installed

supposedly even the air tight recessed housings are not 100% air tight
between the living area and the attic

--
Bill

Matt

'few would cut a hole in their ceilings to allow air flow from the
attic to enter the house'

I sure am glad that big 'ol hole for the attic fan only lets air go one
way!

bumtracks

Some guy with a microscope says 70% of our indoor household dust is made up
of human body dander and lint's from our clothes, furniture, etc.... ever
wonder what that other 30% of the dust is made out of.

willshak

On 1/26/2005 2:17 PM US(ET), effi took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

"willshak" wrote in message

On 1/26/2005 1:53 PM US(ET), effi took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

plonk!

Can I be plonked too? I want to be in the majority.

perhaps, stick around, we'll see

Oh, please! Tell me what to do. Should I call you the newsgroup's
Minister of Doom and Gloom". If that enough?

"bill a" wrote in message
gy.com...

bubble boy is back

[...]

willshak

On 1/26/2005 2:36 PM US(ET), bumtracks took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

Some guy with a microscope says 70% of our indoor household dust is made up
of human body dander and lint's from our clothes, furniture, etc.... ever
wonder what that other 30% of the dust is made out of.

Cat dander!

--
Bill
_firstname_@lr_dot_los-gatos_dot_ca.us

In article , effi wrote:
(fiberglass dust, carcinogenic

You claim that fiberglas dust is carcinogenic. Prove it. I've not
yet seen any proof of it. Nor have the regulatory agencies. If it
were proven, you would see companies like Owens Corning or Johns
Mansfield disintegrating rapidly (like the asbestos industry did), yet
they have not.

Until we actually know that fiberglas dust is carcinogenic, please
refrain from spreading rumors.

supposedly even the air tight recessed housings are not 100% air tight
between the living area and the attic

Let me tell you a dirty (bad pun) little secret. The rest of the
house is not 100% air tight either. And that's a good thing,
otherwise you would suffocate, and the humidity would ruin the house.
Examples: Every electrical outlet and switch is not airtight. If the
walls are stuffed with fiberglas (as they usually are for exterior
walls, sometimes also for interior walls), you have little leaks right
there, and some fiberglas dust will come in. Same with ceiling light
fixture outlets (which will usually be in contact with the fiberglas
insulation in the attic). Same with little cracks around each window
or door. Not to mention nail holes: If you hang a picture, and then
remove it and leave a little nail hole behind, there is another leak.
Your water heater is insulated, quite possibly with a fiberglas
blanket, and its outer shell isn't airtight either.

Clearly, fiberglas dust is not to be taken lightly. Putting a
sensible amount of effort into sealing it is a good idea.

If you feel strongly that you want to live without any fiberglas, then
please move to a house that is insulated without fiberglas. In the
meantime, spreading paranoia and annoying others is not useful.

--
The address in the header is invalid for obvious reasons. Please
reconstruct the address from the information below (look for _).
Matt

You sir, are treading dangerously toward plonk-ville!

Joseph Meehan

effi wrote:
some recessed lighting is absolutely horrendous in design

have notice some that are ic rated (supposedly okay to come in
contact with insulation) yet they have:
- holes in the housing (fiberglass dust, carcinogenic, from the
attic can pass right through them, as well as other types of harmful
to human dust which accumulates in attics)

The carcinogenic nature of fiberglass insulation is debatable. At most
it is slight for those who work with it on regular bases. That comes from
someone who has been fighting cancer for over 30 years and 30 years ago was
told I had a 10% chance of making it 5 years. Don't over do it. Worry
about the real stuff, not the minimal issues. Consider how many people die
from sun or tobacco exposure compared to those who may have died of
fiberglass exposure. My issue was sun exposure and I avoid it, but I don't
stop my life because of it. I still enjoy rowing, running, bike riding etc.

Now if you want to put me on your "stick your fingers in your ears"
list, go ahead. It won't hurt me.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Matt

This is what Jeeves says:

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...0774.En.r.html

And, in a strange twist, this same article also explains Effi's disease.

bill a

I'm honored !!!

btw, does plonking cause cancer???

bill

"effi" wrote in message
plonk!

"bill a" wrote in message
. com...
bubble boy is back

"effi" wrote in message
some recessed lighting is absolutely horrendous in design

have notice some that are ic rated (supposedly okay to come in contact
with insulation) yet they have:
- holes in the housing (fiberglass dust, carcinogenic, from the attic
can pass right through them, as well as other types of harmful to human
dust which accumulates in attics)
- fiberglass placed INSIDE the housing (exposed to the interior of
the home) by the manufacturer

few would cut a hole in their ceilings to allow air flow from the attic
to enter the house, yet this is what is done when some recessed lights
are installed

supposedly even the air tight recessed housings are not 100% air tight
between the living area and the attic

willshak

On 1/26/2005 3:21 PM US(ET), bill a took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

I'm honored !!!

btw, does plonking cause cancer???

Definitely. Everything causes cancer, if exposed to or given enough. If
you get 'plonked' too many times, you will get cancer.

bill

"effi" wrote in message

plonk!

"bill a" wrote in message
. com...

bubble boy is back

"effi" wrote in message

some recessed lighting is absolutely horrendous in design

have notice some that are ic rated (supposedly okay to come in
contact with insulation) yet they have:
- holes in the housing (fiberglass dust, carcinogenic, from the
attic can pass right through them, as well as other types of
harmful to human dust which accumulates in attics)
- fiberglass placed INSIDE the housing (exposed to the interior
of the home) by the manufacturer

few would cut a hole in their ceilings to allow air flow from the
attic to enter the house, yet this is what is done when some
recessed lights are installed

supposedly even the air tight recessed housings are not 100% air
tight between the living area and the attic

--
Bill
effi

"bumtracks" wrote in message
Some guy with a microscope says 70% of our indoor household dust is made
up
of human body dander and lint's from our clothes, furniture, etc.... ever
wonder what that other 30% of the dust is made out of.

household dust can be gathered and sent to a laboratory for testing

tests can reveal the presence of fiberglass, lead, etc.

fiberglass in household dust makes the dust look shiny when lit (by sunlight
etc.)

a majority of homes have at least traces of fiberglass

effi

"willshak" wrote in message

On 1/26/2005 1:53 PM US(ET), effi took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

plonk!

Can I be plonked too? I want to be in the majority.

perhaps, stick around, we'll see

Oh, please! Tell me what to do. Should I call you the newsgroup's Minister
of Doom and Gloom". If that enough?

you've failed

is reality so hard to accept?

how about turning the computer off and going our for some fresh air? you
might feel better...

"bill a" wrote in message
igy.com...

bubble boy is back

"effi" wrote in message

some recessed lighting is absolutely horrendous in design

have notice some that are ic rated (supposedly okay to come in contact
with insulation) yet they have:
- holes in the housing (fiberglass dust, carcinogenic, from the
attic can pass right through them, as well as other types of harmful
to human dust which accumulates in attics)
- fiberglass placed INSIDE the housing (exposed to the interior of
the home) by the manufacturer

few would cut a hole in their ceilings to allow air flow from the
attic to enter the house, yet this is what is done when some recessed
lights are installed

supposedly even the air tight recessed housings are not 100% air tight
between the living area and the attic

--
Bill

--
Bill

effi

wrote in message
In article , effi
(fiberglass dust, carcinogenic

You claim that fiberglas dust is carcinogenic. Prove it.

already addressed in this thread

everything else you wrote below being ignored due to reading comprehension
problems on your part

[...]

Matt

Damn effi, you really are a cold, dried up, scared of cancer and light
bulb old hag after all, aren't you?

Jeezy Weezy.

effi

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
effi wrote:
some recessed lighting is absolutely horrendous in design

have notice some that are ic rated (supposedly okay to come in
contact with insulation) yet they have:
- holes in the housing (fiberglass dust, carcinogenic, from the
attic can pass right through them, as well as other types of harmful
to human dust which accumulates in attics)

The carcinogenic nature of fiberglass insulation is debatable.

anything is debatable

google what germany and calfornia (and perhaps others) have to say on the
issue

At most it is slight for those who work with it on regular bases.

http://www.drhuldaclark.org/therapy_68b.asp
"Most solid malignant tumors contain fiberglass or asbestos, another
glass-like particle."

www.dictionary.com
malignant
Pathology.
1.. Threatening to life; virulent: a malignant disease.
2.. Tending to metastasize; cancerous. Used of a tumor.

That comes from someone who has been fighting cancer for over 30 years
and 30 years ago was told I had a 10% chance of making it 5 years.

got a copy of this?

Don't over do it. Worry about the real stuff, not the minimal issues.

health is not a minimal issue

Consider how many people die from sun or tobacco exposure compared to
those who may have died of fiberglass exposure.

http://www.drhuldaclark.org/therapy_68b.asp
"Most solid malignant tumors contain fiberglass or asbestos, another
glass-like particle."
(repetitively)

My issue was sun exposure and I avoid it, but I don't stop my life because
of it. I still enjoy rowing, running, bike riding etc.

Now if you want to put me on your "stick your fingers in your ears"
list, go ahead. It won't hurt me.

you conduct yourself as a gentleman, no reason to

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

effi

missed one point, addressed below

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
(snipped)
Consider how many people die from sun or tobacco exposure

(snipped)

"in 1990 Dr. Clark discovered the true cause of cancer. The cause is a
certain parasite, for which I have found evidence in every cancer case
regardless of the type of cancer. So lung cancer is not caused by smoking"

willshak

On 1/26/2005 4:38 PM US(ET), effi took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

missed one point, addressed below

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
(snipped)

Consider how many people die from sun or tobacco exposure

(snipped)

"in 1990 Dr. Clark discovered the true cause of cancer. The cause is a
certain parasite, for which I have found evidence in every cancer case
regardless of the type of cancer. So lung cancer is not caused by smoking"

Oh, thanks, effi. I was concerned about my pipe smoking and the
occasional cigarette I borrow from my wife (not really borrow, since I
am the only means of support in my household).
Would drinking chlorine kill that bacteria?

--
Bill
effi

"willshak" wrote in message
On 1/26/2005 4:38 PM US(ET), effi took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

missed one point, addressed below

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
(snipped)

Consider how many people die from sun or tobacco exposure

(snipped)

"in 1990 Dr. Clark discovered the true cause of cancer. The cause is a
certain parasite, for which I have found evidence in every cancer case
regardless of the type of cancer. So lung cancer is not caused by smoking"

Oh, thanks, effi. I was concerned about my pipe smoking and the occasional
cigarette I borrow from my wife (not really borrow, since I am the only
means of support in my household).
Would drinking chlorine kill that bacteria?

--
Bill

let's assume you meant "kill that parasite"

google "dr. hulda clark parasite kill"

Matt

And if that doesn't work - google "crazy psycho bitch effi cancer
recessed lighting"

willshak

On 1/26/2005 5:09 PM US(ET), effi took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

"willshak" wrote in message

On 1/26/2005 4:38 PM US(ET), effi took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

missed one point, addressed below

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
(snipped)

Consider how many people die from sun or tobacco exposure

(snipped)

"in 1990 Dr. Clark discovered the true cause of cancer. The cause is a
certain parasite, for which I have found evidence in every cancer case
regardless of the type of cancer. So lung cancer is not caused by smoking"

Oh, thanks, effi. I was concerned about my pipe smoking and the occasional
cigarette I borrow from my wife (not really borrow, since I am the only
means of support in my household).
Would drinking chlorine kill that bacteria?

--
Bill

let's assume you meant "kill that parasite"

Bacteria: parasite.
What'd the difference?

google "dr. hulda clark parasite kill"

I've already Googled "David Koresh". Same thing, different agenda.

--
Bill
Jim B

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:21:36 GMT, "bill a"
wrote:

I'm honored !!!

btw, does plonking cause cancer???

Yea, according the Surgeon General.

bill

"effi" wrote in message
plonk!

"bill a" wrote in message
. com...
bubble boy is back

"effi" wrote in message
some recessed lighting is absolutely horrendous in design

have notice some that are ic rated (supposedly okay to come in contact
with insulation) yet they have:
- holes in the housing (fiberglass dust, carcinogenic, from the attic
can pass right through them, as well as other types of harmful to human
dust which accumulates in attics)
- fiberglass placed INSIDE the housing (exposed to the interior of
the home) by the manufacturer

few would cut a hole in their ceilings to allow air flow from the attic
to enter the house, yet this is what is done when some recessed lights
are installed

supposedly even the air tight recessed housings are not 100% air tight
between the living area and the attic

willshak

On 1/26/2005 6:19 PM US(ET), bumtracks took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

yesterday, 25th of Jan was full moon for the East Coast.
so they say.

It's always a full moon for some people.

[...]

Greg O

wrote in message
In article , effi

(fiberglass dust, carcinogenic

You claim that fiberglas dust is carcinogenic.

It has been proven, but only in the Republik of Kalifornia.
We get equipment all the time with warnings on it that state sonething like
"This equipment contains fiberglass insulation which has been proven to
cause cancer in the state of California". Apparently the combination of the
fiberglass and being in California must be a problem! ;-)
Greg

willshak

On 1/26/2005 7:12 PM US(ET), Greg O took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

wrote in message

In article , effi

(fiberglass dust, carcinogenic

You claim that fiberglas dust is carcinogenic.

It has been proven, but only in the Republik of Kalifornia.
We get equipment all the time with warnings on it that state sonething like
"This equipment contains fiberglass insulation which has been proven to
cause cancer in the state of California". Apparently the combination of the
fiberglass and being in California must be a problem! ;-)
Greg

Ah. Yes! The Granola State!

Bill
Edwin Pawlowski

"effi" wrote in message

current code is based on profits; fads start in california which
recognizes fiberglass is a "potential carcinogen"

reality is that fiberglass *is* carcinogenic, and reality is a bitch

Reality is that everything is regarded as a carcinogenic in California

effi

"willshak" wrote in message

On 1/26/2005 4:38 PM US(ET), effi took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

missed one point, addressed below

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
. ..
(snipped)

Consider how many people die from sun or tobacco exposure

(snipped)

"in 1990 Dr. Clark discovered the true cause of cancer. The cause is a
certain parasite, for which I have found evidence in every cancer case
regardless of the type of cancer. So lung cancer is not caused by
smoking"

Oh, thanks, effi. I was concerned about my pipe smoking and the
occasional cigarette I borrow from my wife (not really borrow, since I am
the only means of support in my household).
Would drinking chlorine kill that bacteria?

--
Bill

let's assume you meant "kill that parasite"

Bacteria: parasite.
What'd the difference?

google is your friend

google "dr. hulda clark parasite kill"

I've already Googled "David Koresh". Same thing, different agenda.

--
Bill

effi

"Greg O" wrote in message

wrote in message
In article , effi

(fiberglass dust, carcinogenic

You claim that fiberglas dust is carcinogenic.

It has been proven, but only in the Republik of Kalifornia.
We get equipment all the time with warnings on it that state sonething
like
"This equipment contains fiberglass insulation which has been proven to
cause cancer in the state of California". Apparently the combination of
the
fiberglass and being in California must be a problem! ;-)
Greg

it's not just in california, it's everywhere

a little history on known health problems with fiberglass and the use of
experts to boost profits at the expense of people's health [nothing new],
from http://www.monitor.net/rachel/r444.html

"A CARCINOGEN THAT'S EVERYWHERE

An industrial process for making glass fibers was first patented
in Russia in 1840.[1, pg.292] At the Columbian Exposition in
Chicago in 1893, Edward Libbey, an American, exhibited lamp
shades, a dress, and other articles woven from glass fibers. In
1915, the Allied Forces blockaded Germany, creating an asbestos
shortage which resulted in commercial production of fiber glass
in the U.S., as an asbestos substitute. (Asbestos is a
naturally-occurring fibrous material that can be woven into
cloth, does not burn readily, has excellent properties for
thermal insulation, and therefore came into commercial use during
this century.[2, pgs.390-392] Fiber glass has many of the same
characteristics as asbestos.)

In 1938, the Owens Corning Fiberglas Company was formed, and
three years later, in 1941, evidence of pulmonary [lung] disease
was reported by Walter J. Siebert, who investigated the health of
workers in cooperation with Owens Corning.[1, pg.292] That same
year another investigator reported finding "no hazard to the
lungs" of workers exposed to glass fibers in the air. Scientific
disagreement of this sort has characterized the study of fiber
glass ever since; meanwhile fiber glass production has increased
steadily."

some are turning to wool now as a health conscious residential insulator

Installing recessed lighting in a Celotex insulated flat roof SteveRoche UK diy 6 January 9th 05 03:58 PM
Recessed lighting. rw Home Repair 1 November 26th 04 06:21 PM
Recessed Lighting wiring question Philip Home Repair 5 June 12th 04 01:45 AM
Fitting recessed lighting Alistair UK diy 6 March 10th 04 10:18 AM
Recessed lighting hanger bars Andrew Home Repair 5 February 4th 04 05:09 AM