DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   elevated washer/dryer platform (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/88263-elevated-washer-dryer-platform.html)

effi January 26th 05 04:19 AM

elevated washer/dryer platform

homeowner is tired of having to bend over to load/unload washer/dryer

idea has been tossed around of building an elevated wooden platform out of
2x8 or so lumber and plywood, with an outer "lip" around the platform up
about 4" or so from the bottom of the washer/dryer to keep them on the
platform while running; area under washer/dryer could be used for storage

any known reasons this idea wouldn't work or would not be advisable?

Mad Mac January 26th 05 06:48 AM

effi wrote:
homeowner is tired of having to bend over to load/unload washer/dryer

idea has been tossed around of building an elevated wooden platform out of
2x8 or so lumber and plywood, with an outer "lip" around the platform up
about 4" or so from the bottom of the washer/dryer to keep them on the
platform while running; area under washer/dryer could be used for storage

any known reasons this idea wouldn't work or would not be advisable?

1) Unlikely to withstand the washer's vibrations in spin. Wooden floors
in the all too-common-these-days upstairs laundry rooms are a regular
cause of complaints, nothing can be done, "Too much give". Similar
problem in mobile homes. I'm presuming the washer is a front loader,
which is even worse in these circumstances.

2) If access needed for service/repairs, how will the homeowner get the
appliances off this platform? Service companies take the view
(presumably under pressure from their insurers) that it is the
customer's responsibility to make the appliance reasonably accessible
for service.

(Story re this...went to a lady who called about her fridge not cooling,
got there to be confronted with a SxS built into a cabinet about 8" off
the ground. Conversation went like this..

"I can't service this, I neeed to get to the back of the unit"

"Then take it down from there"

"No chance, I don't get paid to get killed"

"Are you refusing to fix it"

"Until it's in a position where I can service it, yes"

"I'm calling your boss"

"Here's his number...have a nice day")

Anyway...I'd advise against this. Whirlpool make pedestals that their FL
washer and matching dryer can sit on, even includes a storage drawer,
There's nothing similar for other brands, AFAIK.

maxinemovies January 26th 05 08:26 AM

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:19:06 -0600, "effi" wrote:

homeowner is tired of having to bend over to load/unload washer/dryer

idea has been tossed around of building an elevated wooden platform out of
2x8 or so lumber and plywood, with an outer "lip" around the platform up
about 4" or so from the bottom of the washer/dryer to keep them on the
platform while running; area under washer/dryer could be used for storage

any known reasons this idea wouldn't work or would not be advisable?

We did it. They've lasted about 7 years so far. No storage underneath,
but a good solid base that doesn't move when the washer spins.

Maxi

Email addy upon request.

George E. Cawthon January 26th 05 09:32 AM

effi wrote:
homeowner is tired of having to bend over to load/unload washer/dryer

idea has been tossed around of building an elevated wooden platform out of
2x8 or so lumber and plywood, with an outer "lip" around the platform up
about 4" or so from the bottom of the washer/dryer to keep them on the
platform while running; area under washer/dryer could be used for storage

any known reasons this idea wouldn't work or would not be advisable?

Mad Mac points out that there would be a problem of getting
the appliances on and off the platform. That's true,
however, it isn't much different than moving them up and
downs stairs or across a threshold.

I see no reason why it wouldn't work fine, but don't count
on much space for storage.

One continuous platform assuming that the washer and dryer
sit next to each other rather than two separate platforms.
should be constructed. The bottom and the top should be
rather heavily constructed to distribute the weight, 1-1/4"
plywood used for subflooring with 2x8s That would give you a
raise of about 10"; adjust the 2" material to achieve the
desired height. Since this would be custom made, I would
space the 2" material so that the feet would be directly
over them or within 2 inches.

Forget the 4" lip. A 1/4" or 3/8" by 1" board on each side
of the feet will keep the appliance from walking and provide
a groove for sliding the appliance into place.

Matt January 26th 05 10:45 PM

Washers and dryers cause cancer.

Elevating them brings the cancer causing particles to gravitate closer
to you, and therefore, increases the risk. I'd advise rather than
raising them, you dig a hole and lower them.