Sligo

Default roofing question

This question pertains to asphalt shingles.
I have seen some roofs with the metal drip edge and some without.
Is the metal drip edge always installed, implying that no drip edge is an
oversight or worse?
It seems to me that w/o the drip strip the rain would wick under the bottom
layers and cause grief.
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

willshak

On 1/26/2005 1:08 PM US(ET), Sligo took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

This question pertains to asphalt shingles.
I have seen some roofs with the metal drip edge and some without.
Is the metal drip edge always installed, implying that no drip edge is an
oversight or worse?
It seems to me that w/o the drip strip the rain would wick under the bottom
layers and cause grief.
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

I can tell you that is it 'code' where I live. I even had to install it
on two sheds that I built.

--
Bill
Colbyt

"Sligo" wrote in message news:S%QJd.874$Jt.286@fed1read02...
This question pertains to asphalt shingles.
I have seen some roofs with the metal drip edge and some without.
Is the metal drip edge always installed, implying that no drip edge is an
oversight or worse?
It seems to me that w/o the drip strip the rain would wick under the

bottom
layers and cause grief.
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

Drip edge was almost never used back in the days when roofs were constructed
with 1 X stock.

I am not sure when it came into wide use. If I had an older home with an
older roof without it I would not worry. When I replaced the roof I would
use drip edge even if the roof was 1 X lumber.

If you have seen a fairly new roof built with OSB or plywood and it did not
have drip edge you have seen one **** poor roofing job.

Colbyt

Yet another tub caulking question (sorry!) -this time about color MAG Home Repair 1 August 2nd 04 02:52 AM
Roofing question - hot mop, insulation under bricks on flat roof Rick Cunningham Home Repair 1 July 23rd 04 03:37 PM
new foundation question oreo123 Home Repair 11 July 20th 04 10:41 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM