mwlogs

Default Janitrol Furnaces

Hi Group,

Anyone have an opinion on the reliability of Janitrol furnaces? My
sister-in-law has one that is only about 5 winters old and they've had to
replace the ingitor 3 or 4 times. Seems excessive to me. I don't have
the model number of the unit but I told her to have the service guy leave
the old part so I could take a look. I see them for $33 for some models on
the web, and he'll charge 10x that probably for a Sunday service call. At
that rate, I'll buy her a backup and replace it for them myself!

Thanks for any advice!

Mark

~KJPRO~

"mwlogs" wrote in message
news
Hi Group,

Anyone have an opinion on the reliability of Janitrol furnaces? My
sister-in-law has one that is only about 5 winters old and they've had to
replace the ingitor 3 or 4 times. Seems excessive to me. I don't have
the model number of the unit but I told her to have the service guy leave
the old part so I could take a look. I see them for $33 for some models

on
the web, and he'll charge 10x that probably for a Sunday service call. At
that rate, I'll buy her a backup and replace it for them myself!

Thanks for any advice!

Mark

First, most equipment failure is due to improper installation and set-up.
(which are high on Janitrols list as they will sell to ANYONE!!)

Second, the newer G**dman branded units are of better quality.
(yet they product support still leaves room for improvement)

Third, messing with a furnace (when you are not properly trained to do so)
can cause property damage and/or personal injuries or death!!

The unit in question can have serious issues with the igniters as they have
used the same one up till the new current models. The serviceman needs to
look for WHY it is going out and figure out the solution to the REAL problem
with the unit. (as there are several reasons why an igniter will fail in
these furnaces)

As the what the service company charges on Sunday, well, what is your FAMILY
time worth to you? Do you understand the operating costs involved in running
a biz? I figure not, or you wouldn't be complaining about the
cost...remember you can always wait till Monday during regular hours to save
the cost of an emergency call-out to fix YOUR unit. (but I would think you
would rather have heat then worry about that little extra cost)

There is more to it then just changing the igniter, you have to make sure
the igniter IS the proper replacement. Just because it LOOKS the same,
doesn't mean that it IS the same. There are all sorts of different spec's
for different manufactures.

Just the other day, a guy lead himself to his own death by changing his
filters. Yes, that is correct. There is a lawyer asking questions in another
forum for why this could have happened. There exist a big percentage of
having a huge problem when messing around with (gas & electric) appliances.

This is meant to teach you something about what not to do, and to educate
you a little. To enlighten you to the real problems of why it costs so much
and understand that we as professionals can NOT open ourselves to a lawsuit
waiting to happen.

Have a good day.

~kjpro~

DN B

'Hi Group,
Anyone have an opinion on the reliability of Janitrol furnaces? My
sister-in-law has one that is only about 5 winters old and they've had
to replace the ingitor 3 or 4 times. Seems excessive to me. =A0 =A0 I
don't have the model number of the unit but I told her to have the
service guy leave the old part so I could take a look. =A0 I see them
for $33 for some models on the web, and he'll charge 10x that probably
for a Sunday service call. At that rate, I'll buy her a backup and
replace it for them myself!
Thanks for any advice!
Mark'

Mark,

Up until roughly 5 years ago...Janitrol (Goodman) wasnt very good
quality or reliable ; since they bought out Amana, they have come up
with an entirely new line of residential heating and coooling equipment
which is very nicely engineered and reliable. In fact, thier latest
color brochure compares their a/c's to Lennox's , with overwhelming
feature advantages . I recently installed a 90 plus Janitrol single
stage , and was very impressed with the adaptability , design, and
performance ; once they get over the hurdle of the garbage that they
put out in the past 5 plus years ago....they are going to do very very
well. Already, they are ranked number 2 for residential heating and
cooling marketshare, nationwide . Carrier is number 1...and youd be
shocked at some of the junk they have put out in past years .

DN B

As for the failure on the ignitors ; more than likely the furnace is
cycling way too often due to an incorrect heat anticipator/cycle rate
adjustment on the thermostat. And/or...there is an excessive amount of
dirt, dust, etc...in the area of the furnace which is getting on the
ignitor.

DN B

'As the what the service company charges on Sunday, well, what is your
FAMILY time worth to you? Do you understand the operating costs involved
in running a biz? I figure not, or you wouldn't be complaining about the
cost...remember you can always wait till Monday during regular hours to
save the cost of an emergency call-out to fix YOUR unit.'

This is true. However, i find many Service Companies literally gouge
for a weekend service call . That is NOT right. Further, a serviceman
should NOT be getting paid comission on parts he replaces....which many
HVAC service companies are now offering to boost revenue / profit. A
consumer should expect to pay a premium for O.T. repairs....but doesnt
deserve to be cheated blind. Buyer Beware...when dealing with the
Trades -- few are of the ethical persuasion.

Joseph Meehan

mwlogs wrote:
Hi Group,

Anyone have an opinion on the reliability of Janitrol furnaces? My
sister-in-law has one that is only about 5 winters old and they've
had to replace the ingitor 3 or 4 times. Seems excessive to me. I
don't have the model number of the unit but I told her to have the
service guy leave the old part so I could take a look. I see them
for $33 for some models on the web, and he'll charge 10x that
probably for a Sunday service call. At that rate, I'll buy her a
backup and replace it for them myself!
Thanks for any advice!

Mark

If the service guy is replacing them every year, and is not explaining
why, you need a new serviceman.

A number of issues can cause short life, improper installation is one.

As for what brands are most reliable. It is always the one that was
properly installed and maintained. I am no pro and I have no ax to grind,
but the installation and maintenance is the key.

If you are determined not to all another serviceman, and frankly I would
rather find out what the problem is, as it might not just be a bad
serviceman, to do it yourself, then find the manual, if your sister-in-law
can't find it (bet she can't) see what model she has and see if you can find
one on-line or from your local parts supplier. You will also then find out
if your local parts supplier will even sell you the parts.

BTW some areas have local codes prohibiting anyone other than licensed
pros from doing this work unless they own the home themselves.

Good Luck

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

~KJPRO~

"DN B" wrote in message
[...]

-------------------------------------
Above this line is **** spewed from Clueless Davey!

You clueless twit, they have been rated number 2 for some time now.

Ranked number 2, has nothing to due with quality, rather it applies to the
number of units sold!
And them being one of the biggest pieces of junk on the market, price has
EVERYTHING do due with why they are number 2.

Get a clue.

CLUE, here it is, print it out so you'll have one.

~kjpro~

Bubba

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 20:12:05 GMT, "mwlogs"
wrote:

Hi Group,

Anyone have an opinion on the reliability of Janitrol furnaces? My
sister-in-law has one that is only about 5 winters old and they've had to
replace the ingitor 3 or 4 times. Seems excessive to me. I don't have
the model number of the unit but I told her to have the service guy leave
the old part so I could take a look. I see them for $33 for some models on
the web, and he'll charge 10x that probably for a Sunday service call. At
that rate, I'll buy her a backup and replace it for them myself!

Thanks for any advice!

Mark

You clueless twit! How much do you want to bet that your sister in
laws furnace is too big? Remember how cheap that install price was?
Thats because she picked the cheapest illiterate hack in town to do
it. No load calculation was done and she got EXACTLY what she wanted
and EXACTLY what she paid for. A **** furnace by a **** hack for a
**** price. Igniters dont just break for no reason. You'll replace
them for her and they will continue to break. Oh, and about that
Sunday service call Id charge you 100 times that because you sound
like a big dick head.
..
Here, let me clue you in on a little story that happened tonight.
Calls are forwarded to my cell phone this Sun evening. Im at my
parents house with all my family for a get together and dinner. About
7pm my cell goes off. Guy in my home town 15 mins away wants to know
if I have an igniter for a Janitrol furnace that is one year old. Sure
I do. Who doesnt? Janitrol parts are a gold mine. Its in my truck and
my truck is with me. He wants to put it in himself. You know what I
told him? "Nope. I dont carry Janitrol igniters". I didnt put the
furnace in, He's never called me before and now he cant find the hack
that put his furnace in. Im not about to stock parts for his furnace
so he can run out on Sun and pick one up from me. Then he can run to
the local Johnstone tomorrow and whine how I charged him too high of a
price. He can pay my "open up" fee just like the parts houses do and
then he can pay my "overtime part" fee. Then I'll supply all the parts
he wants on Sunday evening.
Janitrol........I hope they make number 1 in sales. I'll need a bigger
truck to hold all those parts.
Bubba
TURTLE

"mwlogs" wrote in message
news
Hi Group,

Anyone have an opinion on the reliability of Janitrol furnaces? My
sister-in-law has one that is only about 5 winters old and they've had to
replace the ingitor 3 or 4 times. Seems excessive to me. I don't have the
model number of the unit but I told her to have the service guy leave the old
part so I could take a look. I see them for $33 for some models on the web,
and he'll charge 10x that probably for a Sunday service call. At that rate,
I'll buy her a backup and replace it for them myself!

Thanks for any advice!

Mark

This is Turtle.

First off what are you buying ignitor for because Goodman furnishes free ignitor
for 5 years free under the 5 year warranty of parts.

Second having to change the ignitor out every year , well someone is installing
them wrong or there is something bad wrong with it. You need to get a real hvac
service company to tell you what is wrong with it. Also if you touch the ignitor
element with your fingers while installing it. It will burn out in about 6 to 12
months like clock work. If a service man wants to come back and change the
ignitor with in a year or less. All he has to do is touch the ignitor element
with his fingers and it will burn less than a year later.

Thirdly. If the service guy is the one that installed it and he is charging for
new ignitors when he replaces them. Fire him and get a respectiable service
company to do your work for he gets a new one for free if he bring the old one
back to the warehouse. He is charging you for the parts and then getting a new
one at the warehouse to replace it also.

Forthly When you have a Goodman Gas furnace GMP , GMT, GMNT, GMTH, GMTD , or
any inshot type burnt gas furnaces by Goodman. If you do not ground the furnace
properly. it will have false lock out 1 or 2 times a year and will show up as
maybe a ignitor failure signal or other reason given by the whinkey light of the
IFC relay board.

Now your asking questions here and expecting to get a answer to your questions
here and do not give the model number of the furnace your wanting a ignitor for
or even to answer some question as why your changing ignitor every year or so
and the ignitor should go atleast 5 years in most cases. You have a problem with
it and throwing ignitors at it is not the answer. There is atleast 30 things
that i can think of that will get it to eating ignitor like you have. If you
think throwing ignitors at it is the answer. I will sell you a Gross of them at
Wholesale price and you can throw them at it till the cows come home. I'll sell
you a gross of them for $2,600.00 and the instruction to install it is in the
box. OH, I don't sell less than a Gross over the internet if you was thinking
just one or 2.

Get some service company to fix it and not play with it.

TURTLE

Dymer

.
[...]

You are a thief, If you had to actually work for a living like many of your
victims (customers) you may understand what's involved in making an honest
dollar.

Bubba

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 05:18:20 GMT, "Dymer" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Yeah, Im a thief because I wont sell a part to some tightwad Ive never
seen, havent done work for and am supposed to "jump" for on a Sunday
evening while inconveniencing one of my regular customers that may
need it. Sorry. Im not biting. Cry a little louder for me you hump.
Now go **** up a rope and suck on the bitter end you dick.
Bubba
JerryL

snip
You are a thief, If you had to actually work for a living like many of
your
victims (customers) you may understand what's involved in making an honest
dollar.

Yeah, Im a thief because I wont sell a part to some tightwad Ive never
seen, havent done work for and am supposed to "jump" for on a Sunday
evening while inconveniencing one of my regular customers that may
need it. Sorry. Im not biting. Cry a little louder for me you hump.
Now go **** up a rope and suck on the bitter end you dick.
Bubba

You are something else. Did you think that maybe if you 'jumped' for
someone, he might one day become a regular customer. We can all read through
the lines what kind of person and mechanic you are. If you ever need a job
in the contruction business, call me please. I'd be happy to hire you then
fire your ass.

If the igniter isn't working on a weekend is it possible to manually
light it, like you could with a stove with an electronic ignition
that's bad? I mean itsn't it really the same thing? Just curious (and
I don't have electronic ignition on my furnace, just asking a
theoretical question). I'm just wondring if there is a way to get
though the weekend and have the service performed on a weekday instead.

HonestMan

wrote:

Hi Group,

Anyone have an opinion on the reliability of Janitrol furnaces? My
sister-in-law has one that is only about 5 winters old and they've had to
replace the ingitor 3 or 4 times. Seems excessive to me. I don't have
the model number of the unit but I told her to have the service guy leave
the old part so I could take a look. I see them for $33 for some models on
the web, and he'll charge 10x that probably for a Sunday service call. At
that rate, I'll buy her a backup and replace it for them myself!

Thanks for any advice!

Mark

Good for you Mark.

Check out goodman/janitrol site for documentation if you don't have
it. Then check EBAY for ignitors.

Everybody would be lucky to have a BIL like you.

HM

~KJPRO~

wrote in message
oups.com...
If the igniter isn't working on a weekend is it possible to manually
light it, like you could with a stove with an electronic ignition
that's bad? I mean itsn't it really the same thing? Just curious (and
I don't have electronic ignition on my furnace, just asking a
theoretical question).

Please stay away from anything that burns a fuel, as you have just shown
that certain people can/are very dangerous to be around!!

I'm just wondring if there is a way to get
though the weekend and have the service performed on a weekday instead.

Sure there is, use supplemental heat till Monday!

~kjpro~

Yuban Hadd

Come on Dave....Where's the proof ya fundy ****head

DN B

Scott asked : 'If the igniter isn't working on a weekend is it possible
to manually light it, like you could with a stove with an electronic
ignition that's bad? I mean itsn't it really the same thing? Just
curious (and I don't have electronic ignition on my furnace, just asking
a theoretical question). I'm just wondring if there is a way to get
though the weekend and have the service performed on a weekday instead.'

Yes Scott...there is a way to get heat if the Hot Surface ignitor doesnt
work...but its only good for ONE cycle , then you have to do it again.
After the gas valve opens (youll hear it click ..) you simply hold a
long match in close proximity to the ignitor and the burners will ignite
the same as if the ignitor was doing it. This should only be done in an
extreme emergency however ; its always best to wait till a Serviceman
can come out if at all possible.

m Ransley

Dave your BS is real only because Lennox or Carrier will not sell to
you,, you druel your total Lian Unsubstantiated Bull ****t. Your
an unlisenced , unqualified, underinsured , undereducated , a Con that
deserves a rest, from society.

Yes Dave Their Color brocheres are Nice arent they, Good for a con like
you , since Goodman is and has always been the crap in the barrell. of
HVAC. To bad there are no yearly quality reports of an un biased source
, Im sure they would surely show Good Man asc the CRAP you push. , as
YOU ARE .........

KissHanksAss

"DN B" wrote in message
'only because Lennox or Carrier will not sell to you,, '

Mr. Ransley, Greetings ol bean ! I have accounts established at the
Carrier, Trane, York wholesalers in my area ; if i need a Lennox, i
have a local fellow Lennox dedicated dealer sell me one at a small
markup over his cost. Theres no need for all this pretending or
presumptiousness . Ill put in whatever the consumer wants ; if they
dont have a preference, ill save them alot of money with Goodman which
will certainly outlast the time they spend in their house.

So asshole you admit Carrier and Lennox won't sell to you! Which means the
following statement is true and indefensible by you asshole!

'Your an unlisenced , unqualified, underinsured , undereducated , a Con that
deserves a rest, from society.'

Why are you so angry ? Theres no need for this attitude either.

Because you are an asshole!

'Yes Dave Their Color brocheres are Nice arent they (?) ,'

Why....yes ...they are indeed ; very nicely put together . Can i mail you
one ?

We're a heating up that poker Davey boy!

KissHanksAss

"DN B" wrote in message
[...]

More dangerous advice Asshole!

mwlogs

Thanks to all those that replied with a meaningful message. I'll not waste
valuable time responding to the remainder, only to say I hope and pray I
NEVER have to have you set foot in my house for any repairs.

The ignitor was replaced this morning, after a night of near 0 degree temps.
It was replaced under warranty, but that's little solice for the
inconvenience. I'll have her check with the repair folks to see what the
problem is. Oh, and the company HAS been in business in the area for at
LEAST 40 years, because they replace my families furnace back in the 60's.

wrote:

Hi Group,

Anyone have an opinion on the reliability of Janitrol furnaces? My
sister-in-law has one that is only about 5 winters old and they've had to
replace the ingitor 3 or 4 times. Seems excessive to me. I don't have
the model number of the unit but I told her to have the service guy leave
the old part so I could take a look. I see them for $33 for some models
on
the web, and he'll charge 10x that probably for a Sunday service call. At
that rate, I'll buy her a backup and replace it for them myself!

Thanks for any advice!

Mark

Good for you Mark.

Check out goodman/janitrol site for documentation if you don't have
it. Then check EBAY for ignitors.

Everybody would be lucky to have a BIL like you.

HM

Bubba

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 08:26:44 -0500, "JerryL"
wrote:

snip
[...]

You just dont seem to get it, do you dick head. I jump all day and
thats all I need to jump. I dont need his business or your business. I
dont need THAT kind of business. Those type of "customers" are not the
type of customers I want.
I wouldnt ever get a job in the lowley construction business. You
builders suck and cant build worth a **** nor hire the proper
subcontractors because you guys are cheap ass *******s. Thats why you
build ****. You pay **** and you get ****. You get what you pay for.
You could only dream of hiring someone like me. I probably make more
money than you and half your staff. Face it. You suck. I wouldnt have
your job if it were the last job on earth.
Bubba
JerryL

[...]

Yeah putz. I have 382 construction men working for me, 42 architects, 4
lawyers full-time and an office staff of 34. I really need a filthy mouthed,
illiterate idiot like you working for me. If you ever come to Manhattan,
look me up. I'll show you how real construction men build. Oops you're
right, none of my construction crews know how to snake out toilets like you
do.
The offer stands. Come to New York and I'll show you how really
insignificant you and your mouth are.

Bubba

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:18:57 -0500, "JerryL"
wrote:

[...]

Jerry,
You are full of more **** than your own backed up toilet in your
trailer. Im an astronaut, pulitzer prize winner and an oil
billionaire. Top that dick head.
Real construction men. haha. It sounds like you have "little mans
disease". Now blow me little man.
Bubba

~KJPRO~

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Dave your BS is real only because Lennox or Carrier will not sell to
you,, you druel your total Lian Unsubstantiated Bull ****t. Your
an unlisenced , unqualified, underinsured , undereducated , a Con that
deserves a rest, from society.

Yes Dave Their Color brocheres are Nice arent they, Good for a con like
you , since Goodman is and has always been the crap in the barrell. of
HVAC. To bad there are no yearly quality reports of an un biased source
, Im sure they would surely show Good Man asc the CRAP you push. , as
YOU ARE .........

Here, this thread of 18+ pages should help show the quality (lack of
actually) of Janijunk, which is now G**dman!

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=53284

~kjpro~

~KJPRO~

"DN B" wrote in message
'only because Lennox or Carrier will not sell to you,, '

Mr. Ransley, Greetings ol bean ! I have accounts established at the
Carrier, Trane, York wholesalers in my area ; if i need a Lennox, i
have a local fellow Lennox dedicated dealer sell me one at a small
markup over his cost.

His point exactly, you can't buy Lennox DIRECTLY!

Theres no need for all this pretending or
presumptiousness . Ill put in whatever the consumer wants ; if they
dont have a preference, ill save them alot of money with Goodman which
will certainly outlast the time they spend in their house.

Putting in all the different brands DOESN'T help your customers at ALL.

Reason, you can't keep all the different parts to repair them when needed.

'Your an unlisenced , unqualified, underinsured , undereducated , a Con
that deserves a rest, from society.'

Why are you so angry ? Theres no need for this attitude either.

Cause you are a clueless TWIT!

'Yes Dave Their Color brocheres are Nice arent they (?) ,'

Why....yes ...they are indeed ; very nicely put together . Can i mail
you one ?

Please don't, keep your crap to yourself!

~kjpro~

Dymer

"Bubba" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 08:26:44 -0500, "JerryL"
wrote:

snip
[...]

I attempted to convey this to you the first time but of course it went right
over your head.

I regularly spend 2-3 hours educating a customer for NOTHING because I put
people ahead of profits. It's much more rewarding. Get beyond your redneck
attitude and communication skills and you might feel better about yourself.

Bubba

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 05:16:04 GMT, "Dymer" wrote:

"Bubba" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 08:26:44 -0500, "JerryL"
wrote:

snip
[...]

Again, just more bull**** spewed from your mouth.
First of all, I doubt you are educated enought to Educate anyone.
Second, If you regularly spend 2-3 hrs educating customers, you have a
big problem. No way your customers are allowing you to educate and
charge them for 3 hours.
Lastly, if you arent charging them for this then no way are you still
in business.
Point Proven. You are an IDIOT belching bull crap.
Bubba