rck

Default plumber problem - what now?

Just paid licensed, bonded, insured plumber $850. When he finished the work,
he turned water back on and didn't check for leaks. There was nothing
obvious at first, but 15 minutes after he left the bedroom carpet was soaked
in one corner. He had put the ferrule in backwards in a compression fitting
in the bathroom. I fixed that leak and phoned his answering machine to
express my displeasure and ask him what he was going to do about the stained
carpet. An hour later I discovered a second leak on a compression fitting on
5/8 inch copper pipe. I phoned again and again and he won't call back. Since
this guy is licensed, should I notify the state licensing board? I'm afraid
to call another licensed plumber because the next guy might be worse than
the first one so I'll get out my torch and sweat in a decent fitting to
replace the compression fitting, but I'm still p*ssed about the carpet. I
somehow thought a licensed professional would know how to connect two pipes
together.

Bob

John Willis

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 03:50:03 GMT, "rck"
scribbled this interesting note:

[...]

Some of the reasons I dislike plumbers and compression fittings!:~)

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
rck

Some of the reasons I dislike plumbers and compression fittings!:~)
--
John Willis

Yeah, can't find many plumbers who know how to solder anymore. They love
compression fittings, quick and dirty.

Bob

"He had put the ferrule in backwards in a compression fitting
in the bathroom."

Not that I'm an expert on ferrules, but the ones I recall were
symetrical. Aren't they?

rck

wrote in message
oups.com...
"He had put the ferrule in backwards in a compression fitting
in the bathroom."

Not that I'm an expert on ferrules, but the ones I recall were
symetrical. Aren't they?

This is a 3/8 inch plastic supply tube for a faucet. The ferrule is not
symmetrical. Shallow taper against the nut and sharper angle taper against
the valve. Flip it over and it'll leak.

Bob

AZGuy

wrote:

Just paid licensed, bonded, insured plumber $850. When he finished the work,
he turned water back on and didn't check for leaks. There was nothing
obvious at first, but 15 minutes after he left the bedroom carpet was soaked
in one corner. He had put the ferrule in backwards in a compression fitting
in the bathroom. I fixed that leak and phoned his answering machine to
express my displeasure and ask him what he was going to do about the stained
carpet. An hour later I discovered a second leak on a compression fitting on
5/8 inch copper pipe. I phoned again and again and he won't call back. Since
this guy is licensed, should I notify the state licensing board?

Absolutely. If your state is the same as mine, contractors take such
complaints very seriously as failure to resolve can lead to loss of
licence. I had a fence guy mess up my fence when he did a job for a
neighbor. Two weeks of calls got zero action other then a claim that
"it was like that, I didn't do it". Within a few days of filing the
complaint with the Registrar of Contractors he was on the phone trying
to set up a meeting and start the repairs.

I'm afraid
to call another licensed plumber because the next guy might be worse than
the first one so I'll get out my torch and sweat in a decent fitting to
replace the compression fitting, but I'm still p*ssed about the carpet. I
somehow thought a licensed professional would know how to connect two pipes
together.

Bob

--
Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the
establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . .
Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of
the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order
to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House
of Representatives, August 17, 1789
Roger Shoaf

Well you called him and I take it he did not return your call. I would
first call a guy that can pull up and dry the carpet so you don't get mold
and mildew problems and then sent a bill to the plumber. If he doesn't pay
or forward the claim to his insurance company, then file a small claims suit
for the damage. Keep the valves you took off for evidence.

If he doesn't pay file a claim against his bond. They will pay and hold up
his license until he makes good.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"rck" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

xrongor

you can call a lawyer.

or you can follow all the internet advice and then end up calling one
anyway, hoping you havent screwed yourself in the process.

randy

"rck" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

rck

I've lived in some states with excellent consumer protection and enforcement
of licensing laws. I just checked my state (Tennessee) and it says that
because of the large number of complaints against contractors and the lack
of staff for enforcement, the board has jurisdiction only over work which
exceeds $25,000 in value. Bubba the licensed plumber knows this and
therefore has no incentive to do good work on an $850 job. Now that I've
calmed down, I think the best thing is for me to fix his mistakes, dry out
the carpet and have it cleaned and then get on with my life, and then next
time do the work myself even if it takes longer to do.

Bob

of Representatives, August 17, 1789

rck

"xrongor" wrote in message
you can call a lawyer.

or you can follow all the internet advice and then end up calling one
anyway, hoping you havent screwed yourself in the process.

randy

I think a lawyer would probably be more dishonest than the plumber.

Bob

effi

"rck" wrote in message
nk.net...
I've lived in some states with excellent consumer protection and
enforcement of licensing laws. I just checked my state (Tennessee) and it
says that because of the large number of complaints against contractors
and the lack of staff for enforcement, the board has jurisdiction only
over work which exceeds $25,000 in value. Bubba the licensed plumber knows
this and therefore has no incentive to do good work on an $850 job. Now
that I've calmed down, I think the best thing is for me to fix his
mistakes, dry out the carpet and have it cleaned and then get on with my
life, and then next time do the work myself even if it takes longer to do.

Bob

try sending him a letter, certified mail, return receipt requested,
expressing your displeasure with his work and indicating you will pursue a
complaint with the licensing authority unless he re-inspects all his work
(are mopre leaks looming on the horizon?) and repairs or pays for repair of
the damage (is there water in the walls now? mold forming?)

get a couple of independent 3rd parties to witness the damage

file a complaint with the licensing authority under reasons other than the
$25,000 "floor", if possible (look for a catch all rule, like acts
discreditable to the profession, etc.), with sworn affidavits from the
independent 3rd parties evidencing the damage

he would then be required to spend the time/effort responding to the
complaint; that might slow him down a bit, in the future others should be
able to check with the licensing authority and see the complaint if they
check him out with the licensing autthority prior to deciding to hire him

contact your insurance carrier if you have plumbing leak insurance

contact the tennessee attorney general's office for possible relief there

tell everyone you know locally about the incident, that might cost him a job
or two

Bubba

ORRrrrrr
Depending on how you paid him you can cancell the check or charge back
the credit card. You DIDNT pay him in cash, did you? NEVER do that.
Now, when he calls back, get it straightened out and agree on a an
adjusted price for the repair considering the damage to your carpet
and his inability.
Not bad advice for a guy named................
Bubba :-)
(screw the lawyer advice. Just get a jar of vaseline and bend over
now)

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 05:45:18 GMT, "rck"
wrote:

I've lived in some states with excellent consumer protection and enforcement
of licensing laws. I just checked my state (Tennessee) and it says that
because of the large number of complaints against contractors and the lack
of staff for enforcement, the board has jurisdiction only over work which
exceeds $25,000 in value. Bubba the licensed plumber knows this and
therefore has no incentive to do good work on an $850 job. Now that I've
calmed down, I think the best thing is for me to fix his mistakes, dry out
the carpet and have it cleaned and then get on with my life, and then next
time do the work myself even if it takes longer to do.

Bob

.. .

of Representatives, August 17, 1789

"I think a lawyer would probably be more dishonest than the plumber."

Well, they certainly cost more. I guess I'm amazed at all these
there isn't any huge damage involved, just some wet carpet. He didn't
say how long he's been calling without getting a return call. I'd
certainly give the guy a chance to respond before I escalate everything
into crisis mode. I agree if the job was done right, it never should
have happened. But any of the other avenues, they are going to expect
that you gave him some reasonable amount of time to respond.

David Martel

Bob,

Call your insurance agent, have the damage documented, and file a claim.
Get in touch with the plumber's bonding company ( your insurer may do this).
File a complaint with the licensing board.

Dave M.

m Ransley

Stop payment on the check if is not already to late. You can complain
but small claims court is an easy and normal DIY

Edwin Pawlowski

"rck" wrote in message

I think a lawyer would probably be more dishonest than the plumber.

Bob

And charge double the price.

I'd get an estimate on carpet cleaning. Send the plumber a letter asking for
the cost of cleaning. If no response, get the work done, thenhead for small
claims court. Most states have them and it only cost about $25 to $50 to
file a claim. If he does not show, you win. Just showing up will cost him
more that what he'd have to pay you. Even if you never collect, you get
some satisfaction from yanking his chain.

Do not call your insurance company and file a claim as suggested above.
It's the plumbers fault, and they need to be responsible for the cost
of fixing it, not you via higher insurance rates.

Andrew Neilson

I would be careful about filing an insurance claim. The way things are now,
some insurance companies are just looking for an excuse to drop you. There
are many horror stories about folks who have made routine claims and had
their insurance company refuse to cover them any longer. It is really easy
to get 'blacklisted'.

"David Martel" wrote in message
ink.net...
Bob,

Call your insurance agent, have the damage documented, and file a

claim.
Get in touch with the plumber's bonding company ( your insurer may do

this).
File a complaint with the licensing board.

Dave M.

rck

wrote in message
oups.com...
"I think a lawyer would probably be more dishonest than the plumber."

Well, they certainly cost more. I guess I'm amazed at all these
there isn't any huge damage involved, just some wet carpet. He didn't
say how long he's been calling without getting a return call. I'd
certainly give the guy a chance to respond before I escalate everything
into crisis mode. I agree if the job was done right, it never should
have happened. But any of the other avenues, they are going to expect
that you gave him some reasonable amount of time to respond.

He did the job Friday. I've called him twice a day since and he won't return
my phone calls. This morning the gas company came to hook up the new heater.
I asked him if he knew the plumber. He didn't but said it was no big deal to
fix the plumber's other water leak on the 5/8 inch line while he was here.
Yeah, let's here it for the local propane company. So now, both leaks are
repaired and the carpet cleaners will be here tomorrow. I'm not going to
tell the plumber the leaks are fixed. Perhaps it'll give him something to
nag at him, perhaps not.

Bob

Goedjn

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 01:35:57 -0600, "effi" wrote:

"rck" wrote in message
ink.net...

try sending him a letter, certified mail, return receipt requested,
expressing your displeasure with his work and indicating you will pursue a
complaint with the licensing authority unless he re-inspects all his work
(are mopre leaks looming on the horizon?) and repairs or pays for repair of
the damage (is there water in the walls now? mold forming?)

Small Claims court. You sue, you win, he doesn't pay, you
and take his tools. Three days later your house mysteriously
burns down. The carpet is no longer a problem.

of Representatives, August 17, 1789

There is always small claims court...take pictures, keep reciepts and my
guess he will just give up and pay when he gets the letter of demand or a
small claims action. If not...it might not be worth your time to persue it
further...good luck, Ross

Ross Mac

"Andrew Neilson" wrote in message
I would be careful about filing an insurance claim. The way things are
now,
some insurance companies are just looking for an excuse to drop you.
There
are many horror stories about folks who have made routine claims and had
their insurance company refuse to cover them any longer. It is really
easy
to get 'blacklisted'.

"David Martel" wrote in message
ink.net...
Bob,

Call your insurance agent, have the damage documented, and file a

claim.
Get in touch with the plumber's bonding company ( your insurer may do

this).
File a complaint with the licensing board.

Dave M.

Especially if you live in Florida....the insurance companies are looking to
dump customers in hurricane alley....though the alley done moved last
summer!

rck

I kept on calling, with each call getting a little more demanding. Today out
of the blue, he shows up, looks at damage, apologizes and says he'll take
care of everything. Amazing, he doesn't call back for 5 days, then suddenly
shows up. Persistence paid off.

Bob

Suzie-Q

In article . net,
"David Martel" wrote:

- Bob,
-
- Call your insurance agent, have the damage documented, and file a claim.
- Get in touch with the plumber's bonding company ( your insurer may do this).
- File a complaint with the licensing board.

I doubt that your insurance company will do anything about
it if it is just water. I had a roof leak that my insurance
company (State Farm) would pay to repair, but they would do
nothing about the carpet -- even if there was mildew due to
the water from the roof leak. They suggested that I just use
a fan to dry it out read well.

In fact, your carpet may be just fine if you suck up as much
of the moisture as you can (shop vac or carpet shampooer) and
dry it out using a fan or two.

I agree that an insurance claim might be the wrong way to go.
Besides, your claim may be less than your deductable.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
***Revelation 22:12*** ICQ: 349878998
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
David Martel

Suzie,

My mother had exactly the opposite experience in 2004 with a plumbing
leak. The insurer replaced or fixed all of the water damage but would not
fix the leak itself.
I think that the OP should get his carpet and other damage fixed
professionally. The question of a "deductible" isn't important since the
plumber or his bonding company will make good on that. He needs to notify
everyone, take some pictures, mitigate his damages, and get them fixed.

Dave M.

rck

"David Martel" wrote in message
nk.net...
Suzie,

My mother had exactly the opposite experience in 2004 with a plumbing
leak. The insurer replaced or fixed all of the water damage but would not
fix the leak itself.
I think that the OP should get his carpet and other damage fixed
professionally. The question of a "deductible" isn't important since the
plumber or his bonding company will make good on that. He needs to notify
everyone, take some pictures, mitigate his damages, and get them fixed.

Dave M.

The plumber stopped by this afternoon and agreed it was his problem and said
he'd take care of everything. He was a little slow in his response and
actually didn't respond until I threatened, but in the end, he agreed it was
his fault.

Bob

Oscar_Lives

"rck" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Is the leak like this one?

www.tubgirl.com

Ross Mac

"rck" wrote in message
ink.net...
I kept on calling, with each call getting a little more demanding. Today
out of the blue, he shows up, looks at damage, apologizes and says he'll
take care of everything. Amazing, he doesn't call back for 5 days, then
suddenly shows up. Persistence paid off.

Bob

Congrats for your persistance....I have found that many times it *does* pay
off......Ross

toller

Yeah, can't find many plumbers who know how to solder anymore. They love
compression fittings, quick and dirty.

I took a plumbing course a couple years ago. There was an apartment
maintenance man who used compression fittings because he didn't know how to
solder. His boss told him to learn or pay for the fittings himself.

Anyhow; if you paid by check I sure hope you stopped payment.

Tekkie

Oscar_Lives posted for all of us....

s the leak like this one?

www.tubgirl.com

Ohhh Oscar, that's not a leak, thats a fountain!
--
Tekkie

"rck" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

That was in BAD TASTE!!!

Stormin Mormon

I do believe so. As someone who has used a lot of ferrules. They are both
symmetrical, and also they have a circumfrence.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
oups.com...
"He had put the ferrule in backwards in a compression fitting
in the bathroom."

Not that I'm an expert on ferrules, but the ones I recall were
symetrical. Aren't they?

HvacTech2

Hi Stormin, hope you are having a nice day

On 27-Jan-05 At About 22:47:55, Stormin Mormon wrote to All
Subject: plumber problem - what now?

SM From: "Stormin Mormon"

SM I do believe so. As someone who has used a lot of ferrules. They are
SM both symmetrical, and also they have a circumfrence.

SM --

SM Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org
SM www.mormons.com

trader4@o wrote in message
SM oups.com... "He had
SM put the ferrule in backwards in a compression fitting in the
SM bathroom."

SM Not that I'm an expert on ferrules, but the ones I recall were
SM symetrical. Aren't they?

Wrong as usual. there are some ferrules that are one sided.

-= HvacTech2 =-

... "After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in?" - s.w.

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail