Himanshu

Default Electrical work - would inspector check previously done work?

It's an old home that has only partly been upgraded by the previous
owners to 14/2 and 12/2 wiring - the rest is in fabric-sheathed two-wire
cables that has no ground wire. I was going to perform some minimal
upgrades to provide grounded outlets in two bedrooms, and in the process
of figuring out the existing wiring, I found some things that are
probably not up to code (our city follows NEC 2002).

My question is this - if I choose to file for a work permit and the
inspector comes out to check the new work I've done, would he also check
any of the old work and fail the inspection?

In particular I found that the receptacles in the kitchen are not
grounded, but have 3-pin receptacles (non-GFCI).

Another problem is that the bathrooms are supposed to be on their own
circuit (I believe) but in this house there are some receptacles in
other rooms that are on the same circuit.

There are probably other issues too, but anyway, would any of these be
part of the inspection or is that "grand-fathered" work that is exempt?
Thanks.

--
Himanshu (remove XXX from my email address to reply by email)
Noozer

My question is this - if I choose to file for a work permit and the
inspector comes out to check the new work I've done, would he also check
any of the old work and fail the inspection?

If he has no reason to inspect the old stuff, he probably won't even notice.
Have you given him a reason to poke at the old wiring?

In particular I found that the receptacles in the kitchen are not
grounded, but have 3-pin receptacles (non-GFCI).

This is illegal so he can shut you off as soon as he discovers this. Your
wiring may be pre-code, but as soon as someone put the three prong outlets
in without grounds, your wiring became illegal.

There are probably other issues too, but anyway, would any of these be
part of the inspection or is that "grand-fathered" work that is exempt?

He can flag anything that is unsafe, illegal, etc.

Colbyt

"Himanshu" wrote in message
[...]

In most cases, in most areas, the inspector looks only at what you have
obtained a permit to perform.

Himanshu

Noozer wrote:
Himanshu wrote:
In particular I found that the receptacles in the kitchen are not
grounded, but have 3-pin receptacles (non-GFCI).

This is illegal so he can shut you off as soon as he discovers this. Your
wiring may be pre-code, but as soon as someone put the three prong outlets
in without grounds, your wiring became illegal.

Thanks Noozer. Unfortunately all this work was done by the previous
owner. What I will most likely do is replace the ungrounded kitchen
outlets with GFCI receptacles with "no equipment ground" marking.

--
Himanshu
William Brown

I suspect it varies from place to place, and even from inspector to
inspector. In my town, they check the entire circuit you worked on. I
had installed some outlets on a new circuit, and he checked them all,
but also checked the grounding, which I had not worked on, to insure
there was a jumper across the water meter. He passed me, and never said
a word about the knob and tube wiring that was in the same area, in
plain view, but on a different circuit.

Himanshu wrote:
[...]

there.

electrical service in work shop steve Woodworking 14 September 9th 04 02:09 AM
Electrical work for business Sparks UK diy 17 January 20th 04 01:22 PM
New Electrical Regulations Tony Bryer UK diy 278 September 25th 03 09:53 PM
New Electrical Regs PoP UK diy 22 September 1st 03 09:41 PM
Forthcoming Building Regulations on electrical work (Part P) Andrew McKay UK diy 42 July 30th 03 09:05 AM