Actor123

Default Re-using granite slab from kitchen?

Just bought a house with a nice kitchen, but its way too small. The
kitchen has nice cabinets and granite slab counters. I plan to do a
major remodel on the house and kitchen, which necessitates moving and
expaning the kitchen, so I'm pretty much have decided to gut the
kitchen. The thing is, it pains me to see this fabulous granite go to
waste, even if there isn't enough of it for a proper kitchen.

Is there a way to remove it and re-cut it to put it in another room? I
was thinking there is enough granite there to cover the countertops of
two bathroom vanities, but this would necessitate cutting not just the
sides to fit, but also a hole in the middle.

The services that install granite have the right cutting tools,
correct? Am I able to just call one of them and have them take the
granite and cut it to spec? Will this be prohibitively expensive?
Any guidance? Thanks in advance.

Robert Allison

Actor123 wrote:
[...]

Yes, they can do that fairly easily, IF they can get them off the
old cabinets without breaking them. They usually can, but sometimes
they are so well adhered that they end up breaking a corner off or
cracking the granite. As to the cost, call a granite place up and
ask them. I have not had this done, so I would guess that the cost
of recutting and installing would be about 20-30 bucks per square foot.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Edwin Pawlowski

Am I able to just call one of them and have them take the
granite and cut it to spec?

It doesn't seem that you can.

Will this be prohibitively expensive?
Any guidance?

If you do call them, I'm sure they will be happy to tell you what they can
do and even provide cost estimates.