Bob

Default Painting popcorn ceiling

Is there a special roller for painting this type of ceiling? Spraying it
would cause too much of a mess in my house.
Thanks for your help.

Mikepier

I just use a thick nap roller, 3/4" or 1" and really work the roller
in. It worked fine.

Noozer

Is there a special roller for painting this type of ceiling? Spraying
it
would cause too much of a mess in my house.

You really don't want a popcorn ceiling.

If you SERIOUSLY want one, you'd be serious enough to pull the furniture

out
of the room and drop a tarp, etc. and spray.

I hate the popcorn in my home and dread the day I start taking it down.

I think he has one already, and wants to paint it!
Greg

Oh... YUCK. I can't even see spraying working very well. That stuff flakes
off if you look at it the wrong way!

I assumed he wanted to spray on the popcorn, not spray paint onto existing
popcorn.

Travis Jordan

Bob wrote:
Is there a special roller for painting this type of ceiling?
Spraying it would cause too much of a mess in my house.
Thanks for your help.

There are 'deep nap' rollers made especially for painting very rough
surfaces. However, my experience is that most (unpainted) popcorn ceilings
will degrade quickly when they are wet - the popcorn sticks to the roller
making quite a mess.

I used a Wagner airless sprayer to do mine (two coats at 90 degree angles to
each other) and it turned out great. Frankly, I'd spray it again in lieu of
rolling, even though rolling is probably very practical with the previous
layer of paint on it.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Doobielicious" wrote in message
Isn't popcorn ceiling Stucco or compound mud? If so why do people say
it's
so bad for you (Asbestos) if you scrape it?

No, it is not a texture applied, it is a gunk that is sprayed on. Horrid
stuff, IMO.

In some older homes it may contain small amounts of asbestos. In newer
(1978 or newer) it does not. I tried painting it, hated it, and then took
it all down, one room at a time. Kind of messy, but once done we have nice
flat white ceilings that look much cleaner.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Greg O" wrote in message

I think he has one already, and wants to paint it!
Greg

Maybe he does not realize how easy it is to take down. Wet it, scrape,
sponge. Yes, a little messy, but worth it in the long run.

Mad Mac

I'd also caution that it's a helluva lot harder to get off when
painted...if you're thinking of removing it, now's the time.
Liz

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"Doobielicious" wrote in message
Isn't popcorn ceiling Stucco or compound mud? If so why do people say
it's
so bad for you (Asbestos) if you scrape it?

No, it is not a texture applied, it is a gunk that is sprayed on. Horrid
stuff, IMO.

In some older homes it may contain small amounts of asbestos. In newer
(1978 or newer) it does not. I tried painting it, hated it, and then took
it all down, one room at a time. Kind of messy, but once done we have
nice flat white ceilings that look much cleaner.

Whenever I see a topic re popcorn ceilings I want to gag. In 1997 my son
and his wife-to-be bought a 40-year-old split level home in the Philly
'burbs. My DIL, having grown up in a section of Philly where popcorn
ceilings are the standard, actually paid someone to have that crap sprayed
in all three bedrooms. Fortunately, my son put his foot down when she
wanted to do the whole house. At least she didn't have the sparkles sprayed
on with the popcorn gunk like her mother's house! G

Liz

Bob

This stuff is on the ceilings in all rooms. I believe the house was built
in the 70's and is located in Pembroke Pines, Florida near Fort Lauderdale.
The pop corn stuff is real heavy thick stuff and it doesn't appear to be
lose or flaky. Some of the homes up North look like they have bits of styro
foam in it that comes off easy. These ceilings aren't like that.
Thanks again for your help.

"Mad Mac" wrote in message
I'd also caution that it's a helluva lot harder to get off when
painted...if you're thinking of removing it, now's the time.

Noozer

If the popcorn is that rugged, you could get away with a thick, soft
roller...

You'll probably end up with a "stucco-like" ceiling afterwards...

Hrm... Paint it black and then hit it with white using a really hard roller
and you'll have a night sky.

: )

"Mad Mac" wrote in message
I'd also caution that it's a helluva lot harder to get off when
painted...if you're thinking of removing it, now's the time.

I just finished painting the ceilings in 3 rooms of a rental property
that I own.

At your local humongous home store, you can buy behr textured ceiling
paint (i think they advertise popcorn finish) I bought the fancy roller
that the sales guy recommended for textured paint. However when I
started, I found the textured roller put too much stuff in too small an
area. So I switched to the cheapo rollers that I was using for the
walls.

The cheap rollers are better in my opinion, the texture effect is more
subtle that the special roller, but the stuff is applied evenly and
looks fine. I had patched a few small cracks, and rolled right over
them with the textured paint and it looks great.

I did do one small room with the special roller, and now that it has
dried, I can see that there is too much material and it is started to
crack.

To sum up:
- Beher textured ceiling paint w/ popcorn
- regular roller
- all done

Steve B.

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 19:05:21 GMT, "Bob" wrote:

Is there a special roller for painting this type of ceiling? Spraying it
would cause too much of a mess in my house.
Thanks for your help.

They have special rollers with slits in them at Home Depot or Lowes
for painting popcorn ceilings. The biiggest trick I found is that you
have to make one pass and let it dry. Don't go back over a spot
before it drys for any reason! If you do the popcorn will come right
off the ceiling. I found they came out best if I did one coat North
South and then did another coat East West.

Steve B.
Dorot29701

We painted ours. The house was built in 1983 so I am fairly sure it is not
asbestos.

I sprayed the laundry room ceiling and it didn't turn out very well. I used a
Wagner sprayer (inexpensive) and that may be the reason.

I bought a heavy roller especially for popcorn ceilings and my husband started
out with it. It didn't do very well - it was really heavy. So he switched to
one of those cheap, use once and throw away types, and it worked best of all.

Mind you, the ceiling doesn't look great - just better than before we started.
SteveB

Popcorn ceiling is very easy to paint. Use an airless.

Popcorn ceiling is very easy to scrape off.

It is all a messy proposition, but not lunar trajectory computations.

Steve

Mort Guffman

I have painted two whole houses worth of popcorn ceilings. I just use
the foam roller with the slits and standard latex ceiling paint. They
came out great.

On the other hand, one house had popcorn in the garage and it peeled
off like mad when I painted it. Same thing on the screen porch. I
guess the humidity is the reason. But inside it worked perfectly in
both houses.

mort

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 19:05:21 GMT, "Bob" wrote:

Is there a special roller for painting this type of ceiling? Spraying it
would cause too much of a mess in my house.
Thanks for your help.

Jim B

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 21:47:55 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

After you took the popcorn off, what paint or whatever did you replaced it and
how did you prepare the surfaces. I would love to get rid of the popcorns.

Thanks

No, it is not a texture applied, it is a gunk that is sprayed on. Horrid
stuff, IMO.

In some older homes it may contain small amounts of asbestos. In newer
(1978 or newer) it does not. I tried painting it, hated it, and then took
it all down, one room at a time. Kind of messy, but once done we have nice
flat white ceilings that look much cleaner.

Dee

We painted almost 2000 sq. ft. of the horrendous stuff a couple years ago.
It was very simple -- thick nap roller, pole extension and white latex. I
hate the stuff and I'm sure we'll be removing it once we've decided whether
we're staying here.

Dee

Nothing. Drywall, professionally floated out, then prime and paint, like in
our last house. Voila .. no more popcorn!

If and when you decided to removed them, what are you going to replace it

with?

Dee

After you scrape off the craps, don't you leave scraping marks?

You then float it out with drywall mud. Sand thoroughly, then prime and
paint.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jim B" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:31:32 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

After you scrape off the craps, don't you leave scraping marks?
My family room is high Cathedral's ceiling any advice, if I decided to do
it in
spring?

Thanks

First you spray it with water that has a few drops of detergent in it. They
you lightly scrape off the gunk, and follow up with a sponge. The first
room I had to do a little touchup, but then we got real good at it and had
no problems with the others.

Jim B

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 00:37:18 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

I have a high steep Cathedral ceiling..... and it might not be as easy as you
have described it. I will not have the luxury of spraying a few drops of
detergent and so forth. Before I start, I better prepare myself for the
anticipated problems before I start. Did you finished with drywall mud and
repaint the ceiling?

Thanks in advance.

"Jim B" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:31:32 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

After you scrape off the craps, don't you leave scraping marks?
My family room is high Cathedral's ceiling any advice, if I decided to do
it in
spring?

Thanks

First you spray it with water that has a few drops of detergent in it. They
you lightly scrape off the gunk, and follow up with a sponge. The first
room I had to do a little touchup, but then we got real good at it and had
no problems with the others.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jim B" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 00:37:18 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

I have a high steep Cathedral ceiling..... and it might not be as easy as
you
have described it. I will not have the luxury of spraying a few drops of
detergent and so forth.

You will, but you may need staging to reach the top. With a normal ceiling
a stepladder is all you need.

Before I start, I better prepare myself for the
anticipated problems before I start. Did you finished with drywall mud and
repaint the ceiling?

All I did was put on a coat of latex primer, then a coat of latex ceiling
paint. The first room we did was a bit more time consuming and we did make
a few nicks that had to be patched. After that, spary, scrape, wipe with a
wet sponge. Not a fun job, but worth it in the long run for us. Be sure to
cover everything with a drop cloth. The platic ones that you just roll up
and toss are very handy for this type of job.

Alan

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:37:09 GMT, "Dee" wrote:

We painted almost 2000 sq. ft. of the horrendous stuff a couple years ago.
It was very simple -- thick nap roller, pole extension and white latex. I
hate the stuff and I'm sure we'll be removing it once we've decided whether
we're staying here.

You are taking a big chance on the stuff peeling while you're painting
unless you use oil-based paint if it hasn't been painted before.
Dee

Believe me, it had been painted before. :-) If it hadn't, we would have
primed it.