Mikepier

Default Condensate pump drain for humidifier frozen

I have a gas furnace with a humidifier that has a portable drain pump
that pumps water from my humidifier outside through a small ( I think
1/4" line) to the outside. It has been frigid cold in the NE since
Sunday and I noticed a puddle of water on my floor in the furnace
room. Apparantly the drain line going outside somehow froze, causing
the water to back up. Is there a way I can put insulation over the pipe
outside so it does not freeze?

DN B

Your best solution is to run that plastic discharge tube to the
standpipe on the back of your washing machine , a sink, or into a drain
pipe within the house. Going outside with it is asking for trouble.

Victor Grund

Mikepier wrote:
I have a gas furnace with a humidifier that has a portable drain pump
that pumps water from my humidifier outside through a small ( I think
1/4" line) to the outside. It has been frigid cold in the NE since
Sunday and I noticed a puddle of water on my floor in the furnace
room. Apparantly the drain line going outside somehow froze, causing
the water to back up. Is there a way I can put insulation over the pipe
outside so it does not freeze?

Here's what I did in my previous house to address this problem. I'm
assuming your are using a vinyl drain line which is common for these
applications (at least in NE). Replace the last foot or so (the bit
that goes through the wall to the outside, with rigid PVC pipe. Angle
it down so that water will not stand in the pipe. Use some hangers to
assure the pipe will remain in this position permanently. Fit the vinyl
tubing into the rigid pipe (ideally use a proper fitting), assuring the
last couple feet the water has to travel is angled down. When the pump
stops running, any remaining water should drain from the last couple of
feet in the drain line before it has a chance to freeze.

Victor
Stormin Mormon

I'd also suggest the fellow that the tip of the tube be at least 18 inches
off the ground, so it doesn't make a puddle and block its own tube.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Victor Grund" wrote in message
Mikepier wrote:
[...]

~KJPRO~

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I'd also suggest the fellow that the tip of the tube be at least 18 inches
off the ground, so it doesn't make a puddle and block its own tube.

And if you were a real tech,
you wouldn't suggest screwing up the project any more than the poster you
replied to!

Christopher A. Young

**** snipped here

~kjpro~