Cheap room divider ?

Old January 18th 05, 11:32 PM
Drew V

Default Cheap room divider ?

I'm moving to a new place that has a very large, open space. I'm
looking for a cheap way to partition off a corner of the room for an
office area around my desk (so guests don't see all of my clutter).

Anyone have any recommendations ? It's a loft, so something unfinished
or industrial looking is fine. I was thinking of building a couple of
screens with 1/2" steel conduit and some cheap plastic sheets in
the middle, but I haven't found good plastic to use.

dv

The geographical center of Boston is in Roxbury. Due north of the
center we find the South End. This is not to be confused with South
Boston which lies directly east from the South End. North of the South
End is East Boston and southwest of East Boston is the North End.
Old January 19th 05, 12:57 AM
effi

how about check with local businesses or government entities that might have
some old soundproof cubicle dividers, the kind like you see in the movie
office space (1999 - by mike judge, same guy who created beavis and
butthead) that are about 5' tall - you could also move them around as needed

or, use 4' x 8' drywall sheets, 3/4" thick, held up by some kind of wood
frames, lay them sideways and leave a gap at the bottom of about a foot, so
each panel is 5 feet tall, 8 feet wide - though not noncombustible, they
would have a fire rating of about 30 minutes - much better than combustible
plastic - it would also offer a degree of soundproofing - if you don't
permanently ayyach them you could move them around as needed

or, frame it out and add drywall walls

wouldn't use foamboard, drapes (curtains), or anything more combustible than
drywall...

Old January 19th 05, 01:39 AM
ameijers

"Drew V" wrote in message
I'm moving to a new place that has a very large, open space. I'm
looking for a cheap way to partition off a corner of the room for an
office area around my desk (so guests don't see all of my clutter).

Anyone have any recommendations ? It's a loft, so something unfinished
or industrial looking is fine. I was thinking of building a couple of
screens with 1/2" steel conduit and some cheap plastic sheets in
the middle, but I haven't found good plastic to use.

Cheap bookcases. Either the chipboard crap from Ikea or the big-box, or hit
an institutional/government auction and buy real ones. (auctions usually
have the tinkertoy office panels, too, but you may have to buy a pallet
load, and the stuff often isn't lotted out in complete sets, just however
the crew threw it on the truck.) Big cities usually have a dealer in used
store fixtures- probably can find some scuffed slot panels pretty cheap, and
some stuff to hang off them and make display space for your art and such.
Hit the local army surplus, and buy a butt load of big metal ammo cans, the
kind that stack like milk crates. A wall, and dry moth-proof storage for
seldom-used items.

Make sure whatever you set up isn't a tipping hazard, especially if you are
in quake country or throw rowdy parties. Tie it to walls, or bolt it into L
shapes, or screw metal channel to the tops, or something. Lead bricks on
bottom shelf help a lot. Being pinned is no fun if you live alone.

aem sends....

Old January 19th 05, 03:31 PM
Pop

Drew V wrote:
I'm moving to a new place that has a very large, open space.
I'm
looking for a cheap way to partition off a corner of the room
for an
office area around my desk (so guests don't see all of my
clutter).

Anyone have any recommendations ? It's a loft, so something
unfinished or industrial looking is fine. I was thinking of
building
a couple of screens with 1/2" steel conduit and some cheap
plastic
sheets in
the middle, but I haven't found good plastic to use.

Use quality shower curtains; wear well, some good designs
available.

Old January 19th 05, 04:45 PM
John_B

Drew V wrote:
I'm moving to a new place that has a very large, open space. I'm
looking for a cheap way to partition off a corner of the room for an
office area around my desk (so guests don't see all of my clutter).

Anyone have any recommendations ? It's a loft, so something unfinished
or industrial looking is fine. I was thinking of building a couple of
screens with 1/2" steel conduit and some cheap plastic sheets in
the middle, but I haven't found good plastic to use.

dv

I built a wall of six foot high book cases "back to back" to
divide my "office" area from the rest of the family room. This
gave me a lot of space to store my library which I needed and
allows for air circulation throughout the room.
Old January 19th 05, 10:33 PM
Suzie-Q

-
- Anyone have any recommendations ? It's a loft, so something unfinished
- or industrial looking is fine. I was thinking of building a couple of
- screens with 1/2" steel conduit and some cheap plastic sheets in
- the middle, but I haven't found good plastic to use.
-
- Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I plan to use mini blinds to separated my office
space from my bedroom. Blinds come in many styles
and colors.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
***Revelation 22:12*** ICQ: 349878998
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
Old January 19th 05, 11:17 PM
Drew V

Last time we met, Suzie-Q had said:
In article ,
Drew V wrote:

- I'm moving to a new place that has a very large, open space. I'm
- looking for a cheap way to partition off a corner of the room for an
- office area around my desk (so guests don't see all of my clutter).
-
- Anyone have any recommendations ? It's a loft, so something unfinished
- or industrial looking is fine. I was thinking of building a couple of
- screens with 1/2" steel conduit and some cheap plastic sheets in
- the middle, but I haven't found good plastic to use.
-
- Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I plan to use mini blinds to separated my office
space from my bedroom. Blinds come in many styles
and colors.

That's a good idea. What are you hanging them from ?

Old January 19th 05, 11:52 PM
Colbyt

"Suzie-Q" wrote in message
Drew V wrote:

- I'm moving to a new place that has a very large, open space. I'm
- looking for a cheap way to partition off a corner of the room for an
- office area around my desk (so guests don't see all of my clutter).
-
- Anyone have any recommendations ? It's a loft, so something unfinished
- or industrial looking is fine. I was thinking of building a couple of
- screens with 1/2" steel conduit and some cheap plastic sheets in
- the middle, but I haven't found good plastic to use.
-
- Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I plan to use mini blinds to separated my office
space from my bedroom. Blinds come in many styles
and colors.

Vertical blinds may work better for this. You can buy the ready made
version at Lowes or HD.

With the proper anchors you can ceiling mount the provided hardware. This
would leave a 1 foot gap at the floor level in your standard 8' ceiling
room.

Colbyt

Old January 20th 05, 12:57 AM
Mac Cool

Drew V:

I was thinking of building a couple of
screens with 1/2" steel conduit and some cheap plastic sheets in
the middle, but I haven't found good plastic to use.

There is a type of plastic made for bathrooms that is white, cheap, comes
in 4x8 foot sheets and can be found in Home Depot or Lowes. You could
punch holes around the perimeter and hold it in place with a cord. You can
paint it with spray paint made for plastic, or maybe dye it.
--
Mac Cool
Old January 20th 05, 07:00 PM
[email protected]

Pop wrote:

Drew V wrote:
I'm moving to a new place that has a very large, open space.
I'm
looking for a cheap way to partition off a corner of the room
for an
office area around my desk (so guests don't see all of my
clutter).

Anyone have any recommendations ? It's a loft, so something
unfinished or industrial looking is fine. I was thinking of

Homaste or some similar soft paper panelboard, covered
in cheap fabric, in channel-iron or wooden frames.
That way you can use the panels as bulletin boards, you're
not creating a fire-hazard, you get a LITTLE bit of noise
suppression, The damn things don't tip over in the
slightest breeze, and you're not doing shadow-puppet shows.

I will confess that I used Sunforger canvas and copper pipe
to do my panels, but that's because it's what I had around.

--Goedjn

Fitting new programmable CH room thermostat Brownie UK diy 5 December 1st 05 05:52 PM
Problem with room getting too hot from facing the south (even in late October) jeff Home Repair 11 November 2nd 04 09:18 PM
SELL this FBI NOC LIST and MAKE MILLIONS like TOM CRUISE did in MISSION IMPOSSIBLE Keith Woodworking 0 October 25th 04 02:45 PM
Adding Room Stat Mark Trueman UK diy 15 October 22nd 04 08:02 PM
HWCH : Thermostat for one room Frank Z UK diy 3 July 31st 03 12:19 PM