Default New hot water heater question

My the check valve started to show signs of water the first day I used
my new heater. So I turned down the thermostat. It still run water.
So I turned it way down, and it still does it. When they installed the
new heater, the plumber checked the inline pressure and said it was
fine. So do I have a bad check valve on this heater? Is a thermal
expansion tank necessary? How hard are they to install?

JaKe

Dr. Hardcrab

wrote
My the check valve started to show signs of water the first day I used
my new heater. So I turned down the thermostat. It still run water.
So I turned it way down, and it still does it. When they installed the
new heater, the plumber checked the inline pressure and said it was
fine. So do I have a bad check valve on this heater? Is a thermal
expansion tank necessary? How hard are they to install?

No offense, but you should be calling the installer and asking HIM/HER why
it is dripping......

It's not a check valve, it's the high temp/press relief valve. Did you
try opening it and letting a gallon or so of water out? Sometimes they
don't reseat correctly, there may some debris lodged in it, etc. If
that doesn't work, it sounds like it's bad and needs to be replaced,
which fortunately, is easy.

Sounds like a easy test thanks!

You're right, I should do that today.

Jim, could you tell more about the solderless tank?
Got a link or product name/number?

Bubba

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:42:18 -0500, Speedy Jim wrote:

wrote:
My the check valve started to show signs of water the first day I used
my new heater. So I turned down the thermostat. It still run water.
So I turned it way down, and it still does it. When they installed the
new heater, the plumber checked the inline pressure and said it was
fine. So do I have a bad check valve on this heater? Is a thermal
expansion tank necessary? How hard are they to install?

JaKe

Without actually being there to see it, sounds like an exp tank
may be needed:
http://www.stateind.com/expansion/expansion.htm

If the pipe into the heater is copper, there is even one model
of tank which has a self-piercing fitting and does not require soldering.

Jim

Dont use that P-O-S! Put on a full port 3/4" opening expansion tank.
That piercing model will clog up quicker than ..............
Have you seen the crap that comes out of the bottom of a water heater.
Bubba

Joseph Meehan

wrote:
[...]

I could be wrong, but does not the expansion tank go on the cold water
line? I don't think there is much chance of that gunk in the bottom of the
tank finding it's way upstream to the expansion tank. If it did, then my
humidifier (which is on the hot water line and my ice maker which is on the
cold water line, would have puked out long ago.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Bubba

wrote:
[...]

Think real hard Joseph. That stuff in the bottom of the hot water
tank. Where do you think it came from? Its in the water. It came from
the COLD water line. That same line where the self piercing tank is
that you want to hang on that water heater. Will it work? Sure. How
long? Anybodys guess but most likely not long enough and the self
piercing tap will clog with deposits. Just like the orifice, solenoids
and self tapping water valves on those water heaters. I know as well
as you that everything eventually breaks and everything needs
maintenance but I like to install stuff and not come back for that
particular item for a long time. It gives me time to concentrate on
selling new stuff and more add on items.
Bubba
Joseph Meehan

wrote:

Bubba wrote:
[...]

Bubba,

Why do you think it shows up in the bottom of the hot water tank and not
everywhere else? Trick question here, there is a good reason.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Bubba

wrote:

Bubba wrote:
[...]

And why do you think it shows up on copper fittings that werent
soldered very well (leak)? Why do you think it comes through on brass
fittings that werent cast very well (sand holes)? Why do you think it
shows up on washing machine hoses at the fittings? Why do you think it
shows up in the strainers in humidifier solenoids? Why do you think it
shows up in those drum style humidifiers? Have you ever pulled a
copper fitting adapter off of a new water heater that has that damn
plastic heat trap and ball in it? You want to see blockage and
corrosion? Look there.
Fortunately for you, this is NOT a trick question. Now, just to be
fair to you I'll ask you this question since I really havent followed
your actual abilities...............
Are you in the service industry? Id have to think not because this is
all very elementary.
Now do you need any more help?
Bubba
Joseph Meehan

wrote:

Bubba wrote:
[...]

Sorry Bubba, Not responsive to the question. The stuff on the pipes
forms there for a different cause due to the totally different conditions in
the hot water heater an on the pipe. In fact it is not the same stuff. OK
some of the stuff in the bottom of the tank is the same, but not all.

However the real point is, it is not a problem with that kind of
fitting. End of issue. Those fittings in most areas (maybe some water
conditions or wells may cause problems) but in any area I have lived or
heard of, it has never been a problem.

Let's face facts Bubba, you are a troll. Funny most trolls like you
show up only when the kids are out of school.

m Ransley

Unfortunatly Bubbaass is not a troll but a HVAC pro linited by lack of
knowledge on many important HVAC parameters, But Bubba can`t get this
fact of his nonqualification.

Bubba

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 11:36:50 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

Bubba wrote:
[...]

and by that you have just proven you dont have a clue. You've never
done service because you wouldnt have said that. If you think a self
piercing fitting wont clog you are a total fool. And THAT is the end
of the story.
Even if I were a troll (and Im not) Id rather be that than some
wannabe giving out incorrect advice trying to act like something you
arent.
Bubba
Joseph Meehan

Bubba wrote:

and by that you have just proven you dont have a clue. You've never
done service because you wouldnt have said that. If you think a self
piercing fitting wont clog you are a total fool. And THAT is the end
of the story.
Even if I were a troll (and Im not) Id rather be that than some
wannabe giving out incorrect advice trying to act like something you
arent.
Bubba

Doing service does not mean you know how to do it right.

We all make mistakes. I do, you do and president Bush Jr. does. One of
the three of us are willing to admit it when we do. That's the way to learn
and improve.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Water heater question SJP Home Repair 18 January 8th 05 02:47 AM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 05:23 AM