Default Maytag washer agitator problems?

A week or so ago I had a problem with my Maytag.......I smelled rubber
burning and at the same time heard a squealing sound. It also appeared
that the tub didn't want to spin and empty out.

I posted here about my problem.........

This washer is a top loading Maytag, model A308/A308S. I thought it was
bought new
at least 15 years ago....in reality I bought it new 26 years ago...it's
faithfully served a family of 2 since
then, never needing any repairs or adjustments.

To fix the squealing problem, I tipped the washer on its side, and
tightened the belt that run between the 2 small pulleys. I think thats
the "pump" drive. It was quite loose. The other belt was not as
loose, so I left it alone.

After tightening the one belt, all seemed to be ok at first. We used
the washer in a normal fashion for several days, did numerous loads.
Filling and draining was normal, tub spun fast and quietly........then
we noticed that the agitator didn't move back and forth very
vigorously. It was very "lazy".....just kinda gently moved, nothing
like what is necessary to get clothes clean. Nothing like the sharp
"jerk"... back and forth that it usta do.

Could it be that the other belt needs tightening? The one that goes to
the larger pulley? Or is this a belt thing at all?

When I tightened the one belt, I turned all the pulleys, and they all
seemed free, no heavy drag or grinding sounds.

I would appreciate any comments or help that you folks can give me.
Thank you..... Lee Carkenord

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

This washer is a top loading Maytag, model A308/A308S. I thought it was
bought new
at least 15 years ago....in reality I bought it new 26 years ago...it's
faithfully served a family of 2 since
then, never needing any repairs or adjustments.

Could it be that the other belt needs tightening? The one that goes to
the larger pulley? Or is this a belt thing at all?

When I tightened the one belt, I turned all the pulleys, and they all
seemed free, no heavy drag or grinding sounds.

IIRC, there is no tensioning adjustment like you'd find on a fan belt of an
auto engine. The motor mount is spring loaded and slides back and forth.
Cold be it is not sliding. There could be weak or broken springs or, after
26 years, other parts wearing out and ready to go.

It is also possible that the belts have stretched and can no longer tighten
as needed for proper operation. They do war and stretch over time and even
though them may look OK to the eye, performance is suffering.

Appliance Repair Aid

[...]

Hi,

then
we noticed that the agitator didn't move back and forth very
vigorously. It was very "lazy".....just kinda gently moved, nothing
like what is necessary to get clothes clean

Some possible trouble makers:
- drive belt is worn and need replacing
- you have the pump belt too tight
- both above
- motor track is rusty/sticky/dirty
- motor spring(s) is broken/rusted
- transmission oil is thick from age
- transmission agitation seal is seizing

Possible to replace the drive belt, loosen that pump belt a bit (
http://www.applianceaid.com/maywash_belt.html ) clean and lube the
motor tracks and inspect the motor track springs, sand/clean up the
motor pulley.

http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink...aydrivbel.html
Drive belt.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Maytag Washer Leaking RZ Home Repair 2 September 28th 04 12:04 PM
Maytag washer electrical problem [email protected] Home Repair 7 December 17th 03 10:18 PM
I bought a Neptune Washer west Electronics Repair 15 December 4th 03 06:10 PM
Maytag Neptune Washer lousy customer service for repair; I would think twice next time and buy from Sears wkearney99 Home Repair 0 November 28th 03 09:01 PM
Maytag Neptune Washer lousy customer service for repair; I would think twice next time and buy from Sears wkearney99 Home Ownership 0 November 28th 03 09:01 PM