Othello1939

Default Pavers vs Concrete, macadam

We have an older macadam driveway that is in need of replacement. Ideas
running the gamut from pavers to concrete to keeping macadam. Would like
something that requires less maintenance and like the looks of pavers. Has
anyone done a cost analysis pavers vs the others. And how permanent would
pavers be? Do they crack, or heave with changes in climate? Our house is
in central New Jersey.

Thank you for your time and any replies that we might receive.

Gary

You might look at stamped concrete.
TB

Joseph Meehan

Othello1939 wrote:
We have an older macadam driveway that is in need of replacement. Ideas
running the gamut from pavers to concrete to keeping macadam. Would like
something that requires less maintenance and like the
looks of pavers. Has anyone done a cost analysis pavers vs the
others. And how permanent would pavers be? Do they crack, or heave
with changes in climate? Our house is in central New Jersey.

Thank you for your time and any replies that we might receive.

Gary

Done right good pavers will outlast any of the others.

Not every job is done right and even done right they may call for some
maintenance in the second year, a little adjustment for any that settled and
or some more sand between the pavers. The real difference in a good job and
not so good is the prep work and foundation.

The big advantage of pavers is the fact that they can be repaired. If a
tree root lifts part of the drive, just cut out the root and re-lay the
pavers, good as new.

Don't chose to put pavers over concrete as you will have the worse of
both and then some.

Second best is concrete. Again will done will last many years with
little or no maintenance.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Richard J Kinch

Othello1939 writes:

We have an older macadam driveway that is in need of replacement.

Macadam has not been used for many decades. You likely mean hot-mix
asphaltic concrete, aka asphalt.