Default microwave door replacement

jeff wrote:
frank wrote in message

. ..

Hi,

First before I ask questions, my microwave is an over-the-range
microwave. Its a GE microwave, model # JVM1650WB 003 (manuf. Feb.
2000).

Now the questions... I've got a microwave door that has a broken
handle (attached to the door) and the outside perimeter trim

molding
just below the handle is cracked too. I think it might be easiest

replace the whole door.

If so, how do I undo the existing door?

Usually remove the upper grill, see 2 screw/bolts for the upper

hinge,
remove them and the door will lift off of the lower hinge to remove
the entire door.

Do I
need to pry the inside door trim molding around the perimeter to do
this?

No, only need to pry off the door trim if you are taking the door
apart.

Any idea what a new door costs? Any good on line vendors?

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=770758
Assy door.

Any
special tools required to do this job?

No special tools....screwdriver and small socket for the hinge
bolts/screws.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

I have the exact same microwave ... apparently GE doesn't know how to
make a door handle that will hold up for more than a year or so. I just
bought a new door off of eBay for $20 + $20 shipping ... a deal
compared to the $135 + tax and shipping that most of the web sites
want!

As Jeff said, all you need is a phillips screwdriver and a 5/16"
socket. To get to 3 screws that anchor the TOP hinge, simply remove the
vent grill (open the door and remove the 2 white screws that hold it in
place). To get to the 2 screws that anchor the BOTTOM hinge, simply
remove the 6 screws that hold the grey bottom pan of the microwave in
place. The pan will swivel down, remaining attached in the back panel.

Once you've removed the 5 hinge screws, the door should pull pretty
much straight out.

Reverse the procedure with the new door, which shoud come with hinges
attached.