Stan

Default Range hood vs. over-the-range microwave - which vent is better?

I need to replace my range hood which is vented outside. I am considering
buying an over-the-range microwave which can also be vented out.

Range hood has a two-stage 200 CFM fan

Microwave (I am looking at GE Profile XL1800) has three stage + booster 300
CFM fan.
However, microwave duct has several elbows which decreases vent efficiency,
and range hood pretty much blows straight out.

I have heard an opinion that over-the-range microwaves are not as good in
terms of venting comparing to the range hoods.

Any opinions on that?

Thanks,

-Stan

mwlogs

the only experience I've had with the over-the-oven microwaves is with my
parents. they've had some problems with their farily expensive GE unit that
is only a few years old. The motor for the carasel has gone out, the
controls don't always work correctly, and the plastic door handle and
'grill' have both broken.

I blame some of this on the extra heat the unit has to endure when the cook
top is used. When I remodel my kitchen, I'm staying with seperate units.

Mark

"Stan" wrote in message
m...
I need to replace my range hood which is vented outside. I am considering
buying an over-the-range microwave which can also be vented out.

Range hood has a two-stage 200 CFM fan

Microwave (I am looking at GE Profile XL1800) has three stage + booster
300
CFM fan.
However, microwave duct has several elbows which decreases vent
efficiency,
and range hood pretty much blows straight out.

I have heard an opinion that over-the-range microwaves are not as good in
terms of venting comparing to the range hoods.

Any opinions on that?

Thanks,

-Stan

Edwin Pawlowski

"Stan" wrote in message

I have heard an opinion that over-the-range microwaves are not as good in
terms of venting comparing to the range hoods.

Any opinions on that?

I've had an OTR microwave for about 20 years now. The venting is mediocre,
but the added convenience of having a second oven (new one is a
micro/convection) outweighs just a plain hood. Your preferences may differ.

PJx

I ran my vent from my OTR microwave into my attic. Should have
extended it thru the roof but will do that this summer.
I added thermocouple sensors that turn the fan on (low)
automatically with an adjustable thermostat set for 90 degrees that I
picked up at the autoparts store. I really like the setup.

PJ

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 02:43:57 GMT, "Stan" wrote:

I need to replace my range hood which is vented outside. I am considering
buying an over-the-range microwave which can also be vented out.

Range hood has a two-stage 200 CFM fan

Microwave (I am looking at GE Profile XL1800) has three stage + booster 300
CFM fan.
However, microwave duct has several elbows which decreases vent efficiency,
and range hood pretty much blows straight out.

I have heard an opinion that over-the-range microwaves are not as good in
terms of venting comparing to the range hoods.

Any opinions on that?

Thanks,

-Stan

Charles Spitzer

"PJx" wrote in message

I ran my vent from my OTR microwave into my attic. Should have
extended it thru the roof but will do that this summer.
I added thermocouple sensors that turn the fan on (low)
automatically with an adjustable thermostat set for 90 degrees that I
picked up at the autoparts store. I really like the setup.

PJ

ohh, nice grease trap you've got there in your insulation.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Stan" wrote in message
m...
Is your microwave recirculating or vented outside?

Yes. It goes up through the cabinet above into the attic space, then over
and outside.