Default Garbage Chute Soundproofing

I live in a very quiet condo building. Unfortunately my bedroom is
close to the garbage chute, and it sounds like it is emptying out into
my bedrrom. Can anyone suggest some ideas for deadening the noise. I
want to go to my association and offer to pay for some sort of fix for
this. As far as I can tell it is a metal square chute and drywall
between it and a corner of my bedroom/bathroom.

bill a

I think that to improve much on the situation, you'll need to build a
partition wall offset from the existing drywall enclosure by
maybe 3" or so. This new wall should have no attachment or any other
connection to the existing enclosure surfaces. The offset gap should be
filled with fiberglass insulation. The trick of the project is to
find/create structure on the walls and ceiling, offset from the existing
enclosure, for connection of the new walls. If all else fails, there's
always adhesive attachment.

bill

wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in a very quiet condo building. Unfortunately my bedroom is
close to the garbage chute, and it sounds like it is emptying out into
my bedrrom. Can anyone suggest some ideas for deadening the noise. I
want to go to my association and offer to pay for some sort of fix for
this. As far as I can tell it is a metal square chute and drywall
between it and a corner of my bedroom/bathroom.

I think it will be tricky to build any internal (to the condo)
solutions. The chute and room span the bedroom and the bathroom and a
dividing wall between the two. There has to be something I can put
between my wall and the chute to deaden the noise at least a little.
What about pumping foam or something in? Would that help?

The chase ( the drywall assembly enclosing the chute ) should be fire
rated.
That means cutting into it and reclosiing it should be done by a pro.

My first thought is to wrap the duct with sound deadening batts.
That would reduce the viberation of the sheet metal and so reduce the
noise.
What ever material is used must be fire resistant / noncombustable.
TB

Joseph Meehan

I live in a very quiet condo building. Unfortunately my bedroom is
close to the garbage chute, and it sounds like it is emptying out into
my bedrrom. Can anyone suggest some ideas for deadening the noise. I
want to go to my association and offer to pay for some sort of fix for
this. As far as I can tell it is a metal square chute and drywall
between it and a corner of my bedroom/bathroom.

That is going to be a tough one.

http://www.soundproofing.org/

You want weight. Heavy things (drywall lead sheets etc.) block sound
well.

You also want to prevent any direct solid connections. Stagger wall
studs or use special isolation devices to keep the sound from traveling
through the wall (remember the two cans on a string (well wire actuarially
worked) you want to break the wire).

Filling in wall cavities with sound absorbing materials (accustical
fiberglass bats) will do a little.

Point source control (special absorption material) at the source of the
sound will also help.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

bill a

foam that would harden actually would not reduce noise significantly.
Also, a "pumped-in" type of installation is
likely to collapse the chute. It's very tricky to control the amount of
expansion of foam products.

If you can make access holes through the drywall, it might be possible to
fill the gap with a rockwool type of insulation.
provided that there is a firebreak installed at the floorline that will
retain the insulation.

Anything you would do external to that existing drywall, though, should
probably be cleared through the condo
assoc or whatever. You could get into some deep dudu ($$$) if something
went wrong.
bill