Wet fiberglass insulation

Old January 13th 05, 03:07 AM
Jeff

Default Wet fiberglass insulation

I had a drain pipe from my sink crack in the wall and leak water into my
basement. This has made the insulation in a section of my basement walls
wet. Will the insulation dry out over time? I have cut a few small holes
in the walls to try and let the moisture escape. Anyone have any
suggestions? Tearing the basement wall out would be expensive as there is a
tile wainscoating in this area.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old January 13th 05, 03:57 AM
effi

"Jeff" wrote in message
I had a drain pipe from my sink crack in the wall and leak water into my
basement. This has made the insulation in a section of my basement walls
wet. Will the insulation dry out over time? I have cut a few small holes
in the walls to try and let the moisture escape. Anyone have any
suggestions? Tearing the basement wall out would be expensive as there is
tile wainscoating in this area.

Thanks,
Jeff

repair the cracked pipe if it hasn't already been fixed

have an expert physically inspect the site and explain how to remediate the
damage if it is something you can do; enlist the services of an expert
repair person if it is beyond your skills

under the right conditions, the fiberglass can possibly be dried and still
used (it may lose a little of its insulating value but still be usable,
something an expert should be able to assess)

a dehumidifier (or air conditioner) can remove moisture

inspect for any mold which may have formed inside or outside the wall due to
the moisture; remediate any mold or mold damage

make sure all fiberglass is completely sealed up inside the wall (none
exposed to any living area) after any and all mold or mold damage is
remediated

some opt not to use fiberglass as an insulator in a residence (fiberglass
can be carcinogenic),
you will have to decide if it is the best insulator for your application

Old January 13th 05, 04:47 AM
[email protected]

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 02:07:07 GMT, "Jeff"
wrote:

I had a drain pipe from my sink crack in the wall and leak water into my
basement. This has made the insulation in a section of my basement walls
wet. Will the insulation dry out over time? I have cut a few small holes
in the walls to try and let the moisture escape. Anyone have any
suggestions? Tearing the basement wall out would be expensive as there is a
tile wainscoating in this area.

Thanks,
Jeff

Thank yourself for having fiberglass, compared to celulose.
fiberglass isn't a favorate food for molds. Plus the celulose could
have 'washed' into the lower sections of your wall.

Give the room time, sheet rock(guessing you have this) breaths, so a
dehumidifier in the room athe lowest setting will help speed up the
process.

Now guessing you get the drain problem fixed, so you might be able to
get a referal from the plumber for a professional to inspect the
walls. Since when ever in doubt about the safety of your house, you
should seek professional help.

imho,

tom @ www.ChopURL.com

Old January 15th 05, 07:09 AM
William Deans

Greetings,

I wouldn't rush off and hire an expensive professional to tell you that you
should hire him or his buddy to do more work.
If there is some air flow the fiberglass will dry out. After the fiberglass
is dry plug your holes and forget about it.

Hope this helps,
William