Default Maytag washer squeals

Just a few minutes ago, I thought I smelled something burning......not
food or anything like that.....more like a faint smell of rubber
burning. At the time I smelled this, I was washing a load of clothes.
Like maybe 15 seconds after I first smelled this odor, my washing
machine starts squealing like crazy. I quickly unplug it.

This washer is a top loading Maytag, model A308/A308S. I bought it new
at least 15 years ago.......it's faithfully served a family of 2 since
then, never needing any repairs or adjustments.

Based upon this sketchy info, would I be better off to buy a new
washing machine, or is there a good chance that a visit by a repairman
would be sufficient and cost effective? What would a "house call" by a
repairman cost me, ballpark figure?

Could this be a loose belt of some sort that I could either tighten or
replace myself?

Lee Carkenord

willshak

On 1/8/2005 1:02 PM US(ET), took fingers to keys, and
typed the following:

Just a few minutes ago, I thought I smelled something burning......not
food or anything like that.....more like a faint smell of rubber
burning. At the time I smelled this, I was washing a load of clothes.
Like maybe 15 seconds after I first smelled this odor, my washing
machine starts squealing like crazy. I quickly unplug it.

This washer is a top loading Maytag, model A308/A308S. I bought it new
at least 15 years ago.......it's faithfully served a family of 2 since
then, never needing any repairs or adjustments.

Based upon this sketchy info, would I be better off to buy a new
washing machine, or is there a good chance that a visit by a repairman
would be sufficient and cost effective? What would a "house call" by a
repairman cost me, ballpark figure?

Could this be a loose belt of some sort that I could either tighten or
replace myself?

Well, burning rubber smell... belts are rubber.
Squealing noise... belts do squeal when they jam up or slip.
A 15 year old machine, and belt...
Sounds like a good place to start.
Can you do it yourself?
I don't know how much talent or mechanical ability you have.
How much will a repairman charge for a house call?
There is no universal standard scale for service calls. They charge by
whatever the local traffic will bear.
It depends upon where you live, and the time involved in doing the work,
and the parts needed, and perhaps other related parts that have to be
replaced, or other parts that are on their last legs and might as well
be done then, since the machine is already open.

--
Bill
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
Just a few minutes ago, I thought I smelled something burning......not
food or anything like that.....more like a faint smell of rubber
burning.
This washer is a top loading Maytag, model A308/A308S. I bought it new
at least 15 years ago.......it's faithfully served a family of 2 since
then, never needing any repairs or adjustments.

You have two belts. If you smell them, one is not being turned by the motor
and it is rubbing on the pulley and starting to burn. Replacing the belt
will maybe solve the problem, but it is more likely, the belt is being hung
up be either the pump or the tub.

Anything can be repaired. A service call will probably be $50 and up. This
may be negotiable with a local dealer though. If the local guy comes out,
finds the problem and says it will cost $200 to fix, you can either pay the
money or, ask him if he will not charge you for the service and apply it to
the new washer you are going to buy from him. .

In my case, I bought a new set of belts and found the problem more serious.
I went back to the dealer and told him I was going to by a new one instead.
He gave me full credit for the belts and the new machine was delivered and
set up three hours later. You don't get that type of service from the big
box stores. FWIW, it was Maytag that was over 20 years old.

Paul Franklin

On 8 Jan 2005 10:02:49 -0800, wrote:

There are two belts. Maytag has used the same belts for a zillion
years on all top loader models and any applicance parts place will
have them. I paid about $25 for the pair about a year ago.

There are instructions for replacing them on the bag; it is easy,
takes about 15 minutes, and only requires sliding the machine out a
foot or so and tilting it back. The belts are replaced from
underneath the machine. It is an easy job and hard to screw up if you
are at all handy. Yes, it could be something worse, like a frozen
transmission, but my money is on the belts.

Good luck,

Paul

[...]

Appliance Repair Aid

Hi,

**Based upon this sketchy info, would I be better off to buy a new
washing machine, or is there a good chance that a visit by a repairman
would be sufficient and cost effective?**

Fix it if not over 50% of the cost to replace with a new one....your
washer was made to last 20+ years easy!

**What would a "house call" by a repairman cost me, ballpark figure?**

Will vary from place to place....but most are approx $40-80.00

**Could this be a loose belt of some sort that I could either tighten
or replace myself?**

Loose, probably not....something seized or jammed up is possible and
the belt is now jammed and burning as it tries to go. Maybe a sock in
the drain pump or such.
http://www.applianceaid.com/maytagwash.html

These machines for the most part are easy to work on
jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Stormin Mormon

Almost certainly a loose belt. Swing it out, and look around the back, tip
it up and look under the machine.

Don't know what repair guys cost in your neighborhood. But I'd be tempted to
make some calls, adn see if you can get a repair guy out to replace the
belt.

Note: all new belts loosen up after the first several uses. Including auto
belts, washers, AC belts on large systems, etc. Please mentally figure on
having the repair guy come back after a dozen or so wash loads and retighten
the belt. This is a normal happening with new belts.

My personal washer is a Whirlpool which was here when I moved in, in 1994.
The motor was locked up, I had to bust it loose and oil it. And one m ore
oiling about three years ago. Hang onto the old machine, they were well made
back then.

--

Christopher A. Young
This space intentionally left blank

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Almost certainly a loose belt. Swing it out, and look around the back, tip
it up and look under the machine.

Almost certainly not. The motor is mounted on a bracket with springs and
that tensions the belt as needed. Too loose and it won't pump or wash
properly, but it won't burn at all. Not on a Maytag. They are designed to
run loose at parts of the cycle. If something is putting too much tension
or not turning it will cause slippage and burning/squealing.

Maytag Washer Leaking RZ Home Repair 2 September 28th 04 01:04 PM
Maytag washer electrical problem [email protected] Home Repair 7 December 17th 03 11:18 PM
I bought a Neptune Washer west Electronics Repair 15 December 4th 03 07:10 PM
Maytag Neptune Washer lousy customer service for repair; I would think twice next time and buy from Sears wkearney99 Home Repair 0 November 28th 03 10:01 PM
Maytag Neptune Washer lousy customer service for repair; I would think twice next time and buy from Sears wkearney99 Home Ownership 0 November 28th 03 10:01 PM