sawtooth

Default Brazing VS Soldering copper gas pipes

I have installed a Gas stove and had to run pipe to the kitchen.

I tapped into the existing copper pipe with a copper T. Ran copper to
Black pipe which is what comes out of the floor in the Kitchen for the
Gas Stove to hookup to.

The copper fittings that I put in were soldered using standard plumbing
solder.

There have been no leaks and this has been in place a couple of months
now, but I've read somewhere that soldering is only for water and not
gas.

What are the problems with soldering for gas pipes? Is this setup
dangerous?

Gideon

I've soldered, brazed and done some light welding - but I've never worked on
home gas lines other than working with threaded pipe.

If I were in your situation, I'd begin by phoning my local zoning folks and
asking them about code requirements and zoning rules. These folks can be
extremely useful when seeking advise. Just recently I talked with them and got
good advise before I purchased my framing nailer which uses clipped-head nails.
(zoning varies with respect to accepting clipped-head nails).

Obviously, brazing is stronger and not much more difficult.

Speedy Jim

sawtooth wrote:
I have installed a Gas stove and had to run pipe to the kitchen.

I tapped into the existing copper pipe with a copper T. Ran copper to
Black pipe which is what comes out of the floor in the Kitchen for the
Gas Stove to hookup to.

The copper fittings that I put in were soldered using standard plumbing
solder.

There have been no leaks and this has been in place a couple of months
now, but I've read somewhere that soldering is only for water and not
gas.

What are the problems with soldering for gas pipes? Is this setup
dangerous?

Copper *is* permitted in some parts of the country for gas lines.

But soldered (or brazed) joints are not allowed. Only flare-fitting
connections should be used and only soft copper tubing. The reasoning
is that soldered joints can be difficult to make leak-free (and leaks
don't show like they do with water) and the joint may break if the
pipe is subjected to bending/vibration, etc.

Jim
Bubba

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 22:52:38 GMT, "Gideon" wrote:

I've soldered, brazed and done some light welding - but I've never worked on
home gas lines other than working with threaded pipe.

If I were in your situation, I'd begin by phoning my local zoning folks and
asking them about code requirements and zoning rules. These folks can be
extremely useful when seeking advise. Just recently I talked with them and got
good advise before I purchased my framing nailer which uses clipped-head nails.
(zoning varies with respect to accepting clipped-head nails).

Obviously, brazing is stronger and not much more difficult.

Most areas wont even allow copper or soldered lines for gas. Gas
causes copper to flake inside and that plugs up controls. Also, flames
and gas arent a real good combination either.
Bubba
Jim Yanik

Bubba wrote in
:

Most areas wont even allow copper or soldered lines for gas. Gas
causes copper to flake inside and that plugs up controls. Also, flames
and gas arent a real good combination either.
Bubba

Then there are problems with leaky joints;bad news for gas,water is not
such a hazard.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

geoman

NEVER allowed to be soft soldiered. There is a provision to allow for
brazing but you must use a special rod, which I have never been able to find
in over 20 years.

ONLY flare nuts with copper are allowed, compression isn't allowed either.

You are sitting on a bomb just waiting to go off. Fossil fuel gas attacks
copper and causes flaking which can cause a gas valve to stick open. Also,
since it flakes it attacks the copper itself which means that it attacks the
copper that was soldiered, which means the joint constanly get weaker by the
second until the joint fails. With a flare it is less likely to have such a
major leak since it is a mechanical joint, not dependant on a joint like
being 'glued' together.

Change it out, use Stainless steel. Better yet, since you dont know the
codes I would stick to painting and call a plumber to put it in correctly

Eric

sawtooth wrote:

I have installed a Gas stove and had to run pipe to the kitchen.

I tapped into the existing copper pipe with a copper T. Ran copper to
Black pipe which is what comes out of the floor in the Kitchen for the
Gas Stove to hookup to.

The copper fittings that I put in were soldered using standard plumbing
solder.

There have been no leaks and this has been in place a couple of months
now, but I've read somewhere that soldering is only for water and not
gas.

What are the problems with soldering for gas pipes? Is this setup
dangerous?

We'll watch for you on the news. Set up a camera outside so we can watch the
big bang.
Eric

--
We are Pentium of Borg
Division is futile,

TCS

On 7 Jan 2005 14:43:01 -0800, sawtooth wrote:
I have installed a Gas stove and had to run pipe to the kitchen.

I tapped into the existing copper pipe with a copper T. Ran copper to
Black pipe which is what comes out of the floor in the Kitchen for the
Gas Stove to hookup to.

The copper fittings that I put in were soldered using standard plumbing
solder.

There have been no leaks and this has been in place a couple of months
now, but I've read somewhere that soldering is only for water and not
gas.

What are the problems with soldering for gas pipes? Is this setup
dangerous?

Did you live in a place where you have to pull a permit and have an inspection?

If so, and you didn't, keep in mind that your insurance is void if you get a
gas leak.
toller

Your local may or may not allow copper pipes; it depends on what additives
they put in the gas. Mine allows thick walled copper.

No place allows soldering. Some locals allow only flare, some allow flare
or compression. I don't know why; if solder is good enough for high
pressure water it ought to work for low pressure gas, but maybe solder just
isn't stable with gas.

Check with your town; they don't have code requirements for fun.

Astro

On 8 Jan 2005 02:23:32 GMT, Jim Yanik . wrote:

Bubba wrote in
:

Most areas wont even allow copper or soldered lines for gas. Gas
causes copper to flake inside and that plugs up controls. Also, flames
and gas arent a real good combination either.
Bubba

Then there are problems with leaky joints;bad news for gas,water is not
such a hazard.

That for real? About 6 years ago, I had a big underground gas tank
installed by the local gas company and they used copper throughout. Of
course, the lawn guy then promptly ran into the house feed and never told
me. Learned about that one went I went out back and smelled gas... That
installation was an accident waiting to happen...

Bubba

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 15:56:28 -0500, Astro wrote:

On 8 Jan 2005 02:23:32 GMT, Jim Yanik . wrote:

Bubba wrote in
:

Most areas wont even allow copper or soldered lines for gas. Gas
causes copper to flake inside and that plugs up controls. Also, flames
and gas arent a real good combination either.
Bubba

Then there are problems with leaky joints;bad news for gas,water is not
such a hazard.

That for real? About 6 years ago, I had a big underground gas tank
installed by the local gas company and they used copper throughout. Of
course, the lawn guy then promptly ran into the house feed and never told
me. Learned about that one went I went out back and smelled gas... That
installation was an accident waiting to happen...

Propane and copper...........Yes
Natural gas and copper......No

Stormin Mormon

I've seen copper used for propane. But on NG systems, the furnaces I've
worked on have had aluminum tubing from the gas valve to the pilot.

Speaking for myself, I prefer black iron. If you have black iron and copper
in the cellar, it is very easy to tell w hich is the water, and which is the
NG.

--

Christopher A. Young
This space intentionally left blank

"Astro" wrote in message
newspskaxsey8v1dc2q@athlon2600...
On 8 Jan 2005 02:23:32 GMT, Jim Yanik . wrote:

Bubba wrote in
:

Most areas wont even allow copper or soldered lines for gas. Gas
causes copper to flake inside and that plugs up controls. Also, flames
and gas arent a real good combination either.
Bubba

Then there are problems with leaky joints;bad news for gas,water is not
such a hazard.

That for real? About 6 years ago, I had a big underground gas tank
installed by the local gas company and they used copper throughout. Of
course, the lawn guy then promptly ran into the house feed and never told
me. Learned about that one went I went out back and smelled gas... That
installation was an accident waiting to happen...

Tony Hwang

sawtooth wrote:
I have installed a Gas stove and had to run pipe to the kitchen.

I tapped into the existing copper pipe with a copper T. Ran copper to
Black pipe which is what comes out of the floor in the Kitchen for the
Gas Stove to hookup to.

The copper fittings that I put in were soldered using standard plumbing
solder.

There have been no leaks and this has been in place a couple of months
now, but I've read somewhere that soldering is only for water and not
gas.

What are the problems with soldering for gas pipes? Is this setup
dangerous?

Hi,
Is that legal? I am afraid not.
Tony
Astro

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 00:01:35 GMT, Bubba wrote:

[...]

Bingo! That was an LPG install.
MC

Many locations here in Georgia use copper for NG, use double flare fittings.
Mostly black pipe to a point then depending on device, Flex to furnace/water
heater, Copper to fireplaces, outside grills, etc.

I will be moving my outside grill soon, I will check to see what the inside
of the copper looks like as I am curious to the issues with flaking I am
hearing about copper and NG.

Nayone have any links to sites that can expain all these issues ?

Thanks,
wrote in message
Whats the point? If you got black pipe coming out the floor, all you
need is a $10 gas flex pipe made for gas. You probably spent half
that amount just on the copper pipe and all the soldering, etc.
Now you are living in danger, because you were too cheap to spend $5
more to do it right.

---

wrote:

I have installed a Gas stove and had to run pipe to the kitchen.

I tapped into the existing copper pipe with a copper T. Ran copper to
Black pipe which is what comes out of the floor in the Kitchen for the
Gas Stove to hookup to.

The copper fittings that I put in were soldered using standard plumbing
solder.

There have been no leaks and this has been in place a couple of months
now, but I've read somewhere that soldering is only for water and not
gas.

What are the problems with soldering for gas pipes? Is this setup
dangerous?

Greg O

"Bubba" wrote in message
\
Propane and copper...........Yes
Natural gas and copper......No

I worked with a tech for a while that had done HVAC work in SE Minnesota. He
was telling me that some cities he worked in allowed copper for natural gas.
To the point that it was common practice to run hard copper and bazed
fittings, burried in the wall!
Seemed pretty crazy to me, but he assured me it passed code in that area!
Greg

Bubba

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 20:45:13 -0600, "Greg O"
wrote:

"Bubba" wrote in message
.. .
\
Propane and copper...........Yes
Natural gas and copper......No

I worked with a tech for a while that had done HVAC work in SE Minnesota. He
was telling me that some cities he worked in allowed copper for natural gas.
To the point that it was common practice to run hard copper and bazed
fittings, burried in the wall!
Seemed pretty crazy to me, but he assured me it passed code in that area!
Greg

Ive seen a ton of it. I also like that gate valve they installed on
them for a shut off. As soon as you turn it, the stem moves and it
starts leaking. I guess they didnt know any better back then.
Bubba
Greg O

"Bubba" wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 20:45:13 -0600, "Greg O"
wrote:

"Bubba" wrote in message
.. .
\
Propane and copper...........Yes
Natural gas and copper......No

I worked with a tech for a while that had done HVAC work in SE Minnesota.

He
was telling me that some cities he worked in allowed copper for natural

gas.
To the point that it was common practice to run hard copper and bazed
fittings, burried in the wall!
Seemed pretty crazy to me, but he assured me it passed code in that area!
Greg

Ive seen a ton of it. I also like that gate valve they installed on
them for a shut off. As soon as you turn it, the stem moves and it
starts leaking. I guess they didnt know any better back then.
Bubba

Pretty freaky!
Even using SST makes me a bit nervous! Nothing like good old black pipe for
gas!
Greg

PoCambo

From: "saw

What are the problems with soldering for gas pipes? Is this setup
dangerous?

Last time i checked only black threaded pipe can be used for inside gas
lines.it will last forever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am in Brazil now and here they use cooper pipe for gas lines in buildings, if to repair a leak, how to do a repair, i hearded you need to run nitrogen gas before solder or brazing because the gas fumes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 18, 2016 at 10:23:44 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I am in Brazil now and here they use cooper pipe for gas lines in buildings, if to repair a leak, how to do a repair, i hearded you need to run nitrogen gas before solder or brazing because the gas fumes.

You run nitrogen to prevent the copper from oxidizing from the heat and forming
crud inside the pipes. It's a much bigger problem when brazing because of the
higher temps.