Duane Mills

Default Is this wire Legal?

I have some 14 gauge "BX" or Armoured cable that I want to use in my Garage
for some more outlets etc. but I am not sure if it is OK to use. Why I am
not sure is that there is no ground wire in it. There is only a black, and a
white wire in it with the paper wrap, then the armoured sheathing. I believe
that the jacket is used as the ground, but I am not sure if that is legal,
or safe.
I live in Ontario Canada if that matters.
Thanks for any help I may get.

Duane

zxcvbob

Duane Mills wrote:
I have some 14 gauge "BX" or Armoured cable that I want to use in my Garage
for some more outlets etc. but I am not sure if it is OK to use. Why I am
not sure is that there is no ground wire in it. There is only a black, and a
white wire in it with the paper wrap, then the armoured sheathing. I believe
that the jacket is used as the ground, but I am not sure if that is legal,
or safe.
I live in Ontario Canada if that matters.
Thanks for any help I may get.

Duane

If I had it, I would use it -- with a GFCI upstream. Use the armor for
a ground, and the GFCI will trip if there's a fault.

I don't know for sure if that would be legal, but it is safe and it
should be legal. Without the GFCI there would be a fire risk if there
were a short from hot to ground if it didn't quickly draw enough current
to trip the breaker.

Best regards,
Bob
frank-in-toronto

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 19:34:47 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

Duane Mills wrote:
I have some 14 gauge "BX" or Armoured cable that I want to use in my Garage
for some more outlets etc. but I am not sure if it is OK to use. Why I am
not sure is that there is no ground wire in it. There is only a black, and a
white wire in it with the paper wrap, then the armoured sheathing. I believe
that the jacket is used as the ground, but I am not sure if that is legal,
or safe.
I live in Ontario Canada if that matters.
Thanks for any help I may get.

Duane

If I had it, I would use it

wait till you have to pull out a receptacle to change it
or check it and the steel jacket which you attached
(with great difficulty) to the ground screw breaks off.
and ends up too short to use so you have to pig-tail it.
you'' soon figure out that saving 10 bucks wasn't worth it.
....thehick
Hagrinas Mivali

"Duane Mills" wrote in message
I have some 14 gauge "BX" or Armoured cable that I want to use in my

Garage
for some more outlets etc. but I am not sure if it is OK to use. Why I am
not sure is that there is no ground wire in it. There is only a black, and

white wire in it with the paper wrap, then the armoured sheathing. I

believe
that the jacket is used as the ground, but I am not sure if that is legal,
or safe.
I live in Ontario Canada if that matters.
Thanks for any help I may get.

I have no idea about Canadian laws, but in some (very few) parts of the US,
it is used and Romex type wire is illegal. It's safer too because if
somebody drills or hammers through it, they will hit the shield first.

You need to know how to use it, though. It should be used with metal
junction boxes exclusively. No plastic. It should be cut with a BX cutter,
or a hacksaw (you have to know how, but you cut just one small piece and the
whole thing untwists. It's hard to describe but easy to show.) You also
need to put a plastic bushing at each end.

It's harder to knock the cable out of the connector than it is to knock a
wire off a ground screw, so safety is not the issue if you do it properly.
Incidentally, where I grew up, it was required inside walls, unless you
wanted to use solid conduit. It was not allowed on exposed walls or
ceilings.

I'm assuming that the wire you would normally use is cheap enough that it
should not be a major issue though, unless Canadian wire is vastly different
from what most of the US uses.

zxcvbob

wrote:

Duane Mills wrote:

[...]

The steel jacket gets clamped to the metal box; the receptacle gets
grounded to the metal box. I don't see a problem (as long as he
protects the circuit with a GFCI, which I said in my previous message
and you trimmed it off.)

Bob
Noozer

If I had it, I would use it

wait till you have to pull out a receptacle to change it
or check it and the steel jacket which you attached
(with great difficulty) to the ground screw breaks off.
and ends up too short to use so you have to pig-tail it.
you'' soon figure out that saving 10 bucks wasn't worth it.
...thehick

The steel jacket gets clamped to the metal box; the receptacle gets
grounded to the metal box. I don't see a problem (as long as he
protects the circuit with a GFCI, which I said in my previous message
and you trimmed it off.)

And what do you attach to the GREEN screw on the receptacle? Nothing
connected? It's not safe. PERIOD. You can't depend on the dogears of the
receptacle grounding to the box.

zxcvbob

Noozer wrote:
If I had it, I would use it

wait till you have to pull out a receptacle to change it
or check it and the steel jacket which you attached
(with great difficulty) to the ground screw breaks off.
and ends up too short to use so you have to pig-tail it.
you'' soon figure out that saving 10 bucks wasn't worth it.
...thehick

The steel jacket gets clamped to the metal box; the receptacle gets
grounded to the metal box. I don't see a problem (as long as he
protects the circuit with a GFCI, which I said in my previous message
and you trimmed it off.)

And what do you attach to the GREEN screw on the receptacle? Nothing
connected? It's not safe. PERIOD. You can't depend on the dogears of the
receptacle grounding to the box.

A pigtail to a grounding screw on the box. Or use a self-grounding
receptacle. Really, it's not that hard...

Bob
xrongor

"Noozer" wrote in message
newszIDd.6000$6l.696@pd7tw2no...
If I had it, I would use it

wait till you have to pull out a receptacle to change it
or check it and the steel jacket which you attached
(with great difficulty) to the ground screw breaks off.
and ends up too short to use so you have to pig-tail it.
you'' soon figure out that saving 10 bucks wasn't worth it.
...thehick

The steel jacket gets clamped to the metal box; the receptacle gets
grounded to the metal box. I don't see a problem (as long as he
protects the circuit with a GFCI, which I said in my previous message
and you trimmed it off.)

And what do you attach to the GREEN screw on the receptacle? Nothing
connected? It's not safe. PERIOD. You can't depend on the dogears of the
receptacle grounding to the box.

first off, i agree, this isnt the place to save 10 bucks and it would
probably be better/easier to use more 'proper' wire. not for safety issues
so much as its going to be a pain in the butt.

however... you simply attach a wire from the green screw on the receptacle
to a green(ground) screw on the metal box.

randy

Greg

And what do you attach to the GREEN screw on the receptacle? Nothing
connected? It's not safe. PERIOD. You can't depend on the dogears of the
receptacle grounding to the box.

It depends on what receptacle he uses. If it is "self grounding" you don't need
to connect anything to the green screw.

I-zheet M'drurz

Noozer wrote:

You can't depend on
the dogears of the receptacle grounding to the box.

uhhh, they have continuity with the ground pin, they are attached
permanently, they are held in connection to the box via screws.

In other words: Yes you *CAN*, you nitpicking idiot.

--
The real Tom Pendergast [ So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
aka I-zheet M'drurz [ have some sympathy, and some taste.
Noozer

"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote in message
Noozer wrote:

You can't depend on
the dogears of the receptacle grounding to the box.

uhhh, they have continuity with the ground pin, they are attached
permanently, they are held in connection to the box via screws.

In other words: Yes you *CAN*, you nitpicking idiot.

If this is so, why won't it pass electrical inspection (at least here in
Calgary)?

....and I agree, a wire between the box and green screw is fine if the box is
grounded. Not sure if I'd be happy using the sheathing but it would work.

bill a

You can't depend on metal sheathing to have continuity. The most kosher
way, and would probably meet most codes,
would be to run a green wire (THN, whatever) alongside the bx. The ends of
this wire would be connected just like
the bare wire in 12-2WG. Unless it's a fairly long run, I don't know that
it would be worth the trouble, though.
Bill

"Duane Mills" wrote in message
I have some 14 gauge "BX" or Armoured cable that I want to use in my Garage
for some more outlets etc. but I am not sure if it is OK to use. Why I am
not sure is that there is no ground wire in it. There is only a black, and
white wire in it with the paper wrap, then the armoured sheathing. I
believe
that the jacket is used as the ground, but I am not sure if that is legal,
or safe.
I live in Ontario Canada if that matters.
Thanks for any help I may get.

Duane

zxcvbob

bill a wrote:
[...]

Outlets in the garage should probably be GFCI protected anyway. The
armour will protect the wires, and it should provide a good enough
ground to trip the GFCI in case of a fault.

Bob

wrote:

Duane Mills wrote:
I have some 14 gauge "BX" or Armoured cable that I want to use in my Garage
for some more outlets etc. but I am not sure if it is OK to use. Why I am
not sure is that there is no ground wire in it. There is only a black, and a
white wire in it with the paper wrap, then the armoured sheathing. I believe
that the jacket is used as the ground, but I am not sure if that is legal,
or safe.

If you garage isn't a place of assembly or capable of being so(that
would be a good size garage), the US's NEC allows you to use it.
But..... You need to check with local codes, and figure out if the
cable can be exposed to physical damage.

I live in Ontario Canada if that matters.
Thanks for any help I may get.

Duane

If I had it, I would use it -- with a GFCI upstream. Use the armor for
a ground, and the GFCI will trip if there's a fault.

It being a garage he needs to use gfci's in the US.

I don't know for sure if that would be legal, but it is safe and it
should be legal. Without the GFCI there would be a fire risk if there
were a short from hot to ground if it didn't quickly draw enough current
to trip the breaker.

Good ground would quickly trip the breaker, but being that he's asking
about the cable, he's probly already in violation of the NEC. Only
qualified people to work with electricity. :-P

Best regards,
Bob

later,

tom @ www.ChopURL.com

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 03:36:52 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

If I had it, I would use it

wait till you have to pull out a receptacle to change it
or check it and the steel jacket which you attached
(with great difficulty) to the ground screw breaks off.
and ends up too short to use so you have to pig-tail it.
you'' soon figure out that saving 10 bucks wasn't worth it.
...thehick

The steel jacket gets clamped to the metal box; the receptacle gets
grounded to the metal box. I don't see a problem (as long as he
protects the circuit with a GFCI, which I said in my previous message
and you trimmed it off.)

And what do you attach to the GREEN screw on the receptacle? Nothing
connected? It's not safe. PERIOD. You can't depend on the dogears of the
receptacle grounding to the box.

First if you have nothing to goto the ground screw on the recept you
attach nothing. In this case, he has a few options.

If the box is properly grouned, run a bare copper conductor(solid)
between the ground on the box and recept.

Another option is to removed those little cardboard pieces, and if the
box is metalic and grounded, the yoke 'auto-grounds' to the box, I
don't remember where this is 'allowed' if anyone can refresh my memory
please do.

Now here is where you run into problems, if the recept's manufacture
states a ground must be installed, then you only have one option, or
you violate US NEC. Labels and listing.

Remember only qualified personnel should work on electrical systems.

later,

tom @ www.URLBee.com

HorneTD

I-zheet M'drurz wrote:
Noozer wrote:

You can't depend on
the dogears of the receptacle grounding to the box.

uhhh, they have continuity with the ground pin, they are attached
permanently, they are held in connection to the box via screws.

In other words: Yes you *CAN*, you nitpicking idiot.

Underwriters Laboratory of Canada has researched this topic and found
that connections to ground of ordinary receptacles using only the
mounting screws are unreliable. That is why they apply an additional
test for grounding continuity to receptacles that they then list as self
grounding. Self grounding receptacles have a spring in the yoke that
maintains contact with the mounting screw. The screws shipped with
those receptacles are plated to resist corrosion.

If you search I-zheet M'drurz other postings you will see he has no
respect for the safety codes of any craft and that includes electricity.
He knows more than everyone else, just ask him and he will tell you
that anyone who disagrees with him is an idiot. But since our man Tom P
says that ULC is full of hooey I guess that settles it. It's your home
friend so you choose which advice you want to follow. It both cases the
advise is legally worth exactly what you payed for it.

As to what qualifies me to give advice on this topic I'm an electrician
with over thirty years in my craft and I have thirty five years of
service as a volunteer fire fighter all of that in fairly busy suburban
companies. I have carried out the dead several times and some of those
were killed by fires of electrical origin.
--
Tom H
HorneTD

Duane Mills wrote:
I have some 14 gauge "BX" or Armoured cable that I want to use in my Garage
for some more outlets etc. but I am not sure if it is OK to use. Why I am
not sure is that there is no ground wire in it. There is only a black, and a
white wire in it with the paper wrap, then the armoured sheathing. I believe
that the jacket is used as the ground, but I am not sure if that is legal,
or safe.
I live in Ontario Canada if that matters.
Thanks for any help I may get.

Duane

If the cable has a bonding strip inside the armor it is listed by
electrical testing laboratories as suitable to serve as an Equipment
Grounding Conductor (EGC). You do need to use the connectors that are
listed for use with type AC cable. Those connectors must be made up
tight enough to bond to the metal box. Do not try to use the bonding
strip as a conductor within the box. There are regional preferences for
how to treat the bonding strip at the cut end of the cable armor but
testing done by Underwriters Laboratories showed that the different
techniques had no effect on the impedance of the EGC pathway. You can
cut the bonding strip off flush with the cable end, fold it back over
the end, or wrap it around the end after installing the anti short
bushing so that it holds the bushing in place. Which one you do is a
matter of personal preference.

Since the cable has been tested and found adequate as an EGC there is no
need for Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) protection of the cable
run but GFCI protection may be required for receptacle outlets in a
garage under the locally adopted electric code.

If the receptacles you use are not listed as self grounding by an
electrical testing laboratory then you must bond the green screw of the
receptacle to the box with a short piece of wire by using a machine
screw into a tapped hole in the box. Sheet metal screws may not be used
for that purpose. Alternatively you can use a listed grounding clip
that you force onto the lip of the box after scraping away any non
conductive coatings such as paint or plaster.
--
Tom H
Stormin Mormon

Isn't the shield (casing) the ground?

--

Christopher A. Young
This space intentionally left blank

"Doobielicious" wrote in message
you should have a ground wire in it.

"Duane Mills" wrote in message
I have some 14 gauge "BX" or Armoured cable that I want to use in my

Garage
for some more outlets etc. but I am not sure if it is OK to use. Why I am
not sure is that there is no ground wire in it. There is only a black, and

white wire in it with the paper wrap, then the armoured sheathing. I

believe
that the jacket is used as the ground, but I am not sure if that is legal,
or safe.
I live in Ontario Canada if that matters.
Thanks for any help I may get.

Duane

Hagrinas Mivali

Noozer wrote:

You can't depend on
the dogears of the receptacle grounding to the box.

uhhh, they have continuity with the ground pin, they are attached
permanently, they are held in connection to the box via screws.

In other words: Yes you *CAN*, you nitpicking idiot.

If this is so, why won't it pass electrical inspection (at least here
in Calgary)?

Probably because shielded cable and metal boxes are not required in Calgary,
so without insisting on a ground screw connected to a ground wire, there's
no assurance that things are done properly.

...and I agree, a wire between the box and green screw is fine if the
box is grounded. Not sure if I'd be happy using the sheathing but it
would work.

I-zheet M'drurz

HorneTD wrote:

If the cable has a bonding strip inside the armor it is listed
by electrical testing laboratories as suitable to serve as an
Equipment Grounding Conductor (EGC).

Do not try to use the bonding strip as a conductor within
the box. There are regional preferences for how to treat the
bonding strip at the cut end of the cable armor but testing done
by Underwriters Laboratories showed that the different
techniques had no effect on the impedance of the EGC pathway.

Thank you for contradicting your own pearls of wisdom, right in
your own reply. It just goes to show that you Codebots (who
haven't a *SOLITARY CLUE* about common sense) are destined to
drown in your own anal-retentive hand wringing.

There is a 100% solid ground connection when you have BX in a
metalic connector of a metalic box and you have a receptacle in
that box where the ears are mechanically attached to the ground
screw. To aregue any different is to admit that you defy the
truth sitting in front of your face. Keep it up, the rest of us
will accept the *FACT* of what we see with our own eyes.

Meanwhile, anybody who speaks of "impedence" while talking of a
60 Hz circuit is a bigger fool than you were the day you were
born. HINT: "Impedence" means *NOTHING* at sub-RF frequencies.
For *ALL* intents and purposes, the "impedence" of a 60 Hz AC
circuit is identical to the resistance. Nice try at attempting
to muddy the waters with meaningless information, moron.

--
The real Tom Pendergast [ So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
aka I-zheet M'drurz [ have some sympathy, and some taste.
Accept no substitutes! [ Use all your well-learned politesse,
$1 to Mick for the .sig ---[ or I'll lay your soul to waste.
Noozer

There is a 100% solid ground connection when you have BX in a
metalic connector of a metalic box and you have a receptacle in
that box where the ears are mechanically attached to the ground
screw.

You forgot a part...

....where you cannot guarantee that the ears will have proper contact to the
metal box...

....hence the reason the manufacturer puts the screw on the receptacle in the
first place. The ears on the receptacle are NOT grounding point and should
NOT be relied on as such.

I-zheet M'drurz

Noozer wrote:

There is a 100% solid ground connection when you have BX in
a metalic connector of a metalic box and you have a
receptacle in that box where the ears are mechanically
attached to the ground screw.

You forgot a part...

...where you cannot guarantee that the ears will have proper
contact to the metal box...

...hence the reason the manufacturer puts the screw on the
receptacle in the first place. The ears on the receptacle are
NOT grounding point and should NOT be relied on as such.

That would fall under the "**** poor workmanship" clause. If you
don't do work good enough to make sure your fixture is mounted
securely in the box, then you *DESERVE* to get shocked from the
lack of a ground on that receptacle.

Come on, in all honesty, you're talking about some moron who would
let the duplex receptacle *HANG* *OUT* of the box, and be
satisfied with that type of installation.

Code protects idiots who don't have a clue. Some of us are a bit
above that, thank you.

--
The real Tom Pendergast [ So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
aka I-zheet M'drurz [ have some sympathy, and some taste.
Accept no substitutes! [ Use all your well-learned politesse,
$1 to Mick for the .sig ---[ or I'll lay your soul to waste.
I-zheet M'drurz

Noozer wrote:

There is a 100% solid ground connection when you have BX in
a metalic connector of a metalic box and you have a
receptacle in that box where the ears are mechanically
attached to the ground screw.

You forgot a part...

...where you cannot guarantee that the ears will have proper
contact to the metal box...

...hence the reason the manufacturer puts the screw on the
receptacle in the first place. The ears on the receptacle are
NOT grounding point and should NOT be relied on as such.

PS: I always thought the manufacturer put the screw on the
receptacle was that there was no guarantee it was going into
a metal box. !.

--
The real Tom Pendergast [ So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
aka I-zheet M'drurz [ have some sympathy, and some taste.
Accept no substitutes! [ Use all your well-learned politesse,
$1 to Mick for the .sig ---[ or I'll lay your soul to waste.
HorneTD

I-zheet M'drurz wrote:
HorneTD wrote:

[...]

Meanwhile, Nice try at attempting
to muddy the waters with meaningless information, moron.

As predicted anyone who disagrees with you is a moron and you now better
than Underwriters Laboratories. The lab must have been in league with
the manufacturers of self grounding receptacles when they tested the
effectiveness of mounting screws alone as the Equipment Grounding
Conductor pathway for receptacles and found them to be inadequate.
Because if they disagree with the all knowing Tom Pendergast they cannot
be correct. They must be a "code bot." When you have crawled down long
snotty hallways looking for other peoples relatives for a couple of
years I may have some respect for your opinion on public safety issues
but until then I will not be the least bit concerned about disagreeing
with you. You see I have held the dead child in my arms who died in a
fire of electrical origin that was caused by a fault in a lighting
outlet supplied by the older BX cable that you have alleged is adequate
for grounding even without the bonding strip that modern AC cable has
because "anybody who speaks of "impedence" while talking of a 60 Hz
circuit is a bigger fool than you were the day you were born. HINT:
"Impedance" means *NOTHING* at sub-RF frequencies. For *ALL* intents
and purposes, the "impedence" of a 60 Hz AC circuit is identical to the
resistance."

You are right of coarse about my being a moron. Why else would I crawl
into the buildings that all the intelligent people like yourself have
already run out of. Why else would I work to educate the public on
public safety issues based on consensus safety code rather than on my
personal opinion. And to top it all off if I disagree with the
omniscient Tom Pendergast what else could I be.
--
Tom H

Ron

Check with your inspector. I don't think this is legal in the US any longer.
The older BX used to have a third soft non-ground wire that ran through it
and which was folded over the cable at the terminal ends to provide
continuity though the metal armor.
Ron

"Duane Mills" wrote in message
I have some 14 gauge "BX" or Armoured cable that I want to use in my

Garage
for some more outlets etc. but I am not sure if it is OK to use. Why I am
not sure is that there is no ground wire in it. There is only a black, and

white wire in it with the paper wrap, then the armoured sheathing. I

believe
that the jacket is used as the ground, but I am not sure if that is legal,
or safe.
I live in Ontario Canada if that matters.
Thanks for any help I may get.

Duane

Noozer

...where you cannot guarantee that the ears will have proper
contact to the metal box...

...hence the reason the manufacturer puts the screw on the
receptacle in the first place. The ears on the receptacle are
NOT grounding point and should NOT be relied on as such.

Too bad you've never actually installed a receptacle. You might want to
notice the little plastic/cardboard squares the put on the screws so they
don't fall out of the recepticle during shipping. If you don't remove them
(and nobody does) they make great insulators. As for the rest of the ear?
It's resting on drywall if you know anything about how to cut it open for
the box, so they won't hit the box either.

Code protects idiots who don't have a clue. Some of us are a bit
above that, thank you.

Too bad you aren't.

I-zheet M'drurz

Noozer wrote:

Too bad you've never actually installed a receptacle.

BWA HA HA HA HAA! That's precious!

You might
want to notice the little plastic/cardboard squares the put on
the screws so they don't fall out of the recepticle during
shipping. If you don't remove them (and nobody does)

You assume everybody has your poor workmanship habits! Wrong,
loser.

they make
great insulators. As for the rest of the ear? It's resting on
drywall if you know anything about how to cut it open for the
box, so they won't hit the box either.

Don't forget about the screw itself, moron!

Code protects idiots who don't have a clue. Some of us are
a bit above that, thank you.

Too bad you aren't.

Whatever. Try a quick continuity check, Einstein.

--
The real Tom Pendergast [ So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
aka I-zheet M'drurz [ have some sympathy, and some taste.
Accept no substitutes! [ Use all your well-learned politesse,
$1 to Mick for the .sig ---[ or I'll lay your soul to waste.
zxcvbob

I-zheet M'drurz wrote:
Noozer wrote:

Too bad you've never actually installed a receptacle.

BWA HA HA HA HAA! That's precious!

You might
want to notice the little plastic/cardboard squares the put on
the screws so they don't fall out of the recepticle during
shipping. If you don't remove them (and nobody does)

You assume everybody has your poor workmanship habits! Wrong,
loser.

they make
great insulators. As for the rest of the ear? It's resting on
drywall if you know anything about how to cut it open for the
box, so they won't hit the box either.

Don't forget about the screw itself, moron!

Code protects idiots who don't have a clue. Some of us are
a bit above that, thank you.

Too bad you aren't.

Whatever. Try a quick continuity check, Einstein.

It may have continuity, but what about the impedance? ;;-)

Best regards,
Bob
Doug Miller

In article aNmEd.39955$Xk.15629@pd7tw3no, "Noozer" wrote:

Too bad you've never actually installed a receptacle. You might want to
notice the little plastic/cardboard squares the put on the screws so they
don't fall out of the recepticle during shipping. If you don't remove them
(and nobody does) they make great insulators. As for the rest of the ear?
It's resting on drywall if you know anything about how to cut it open for
the box, so they won't hit the box either.

Didja notice the *metal* mounting screws that are in direct contact with the
*metal* device yoke, that are also in direct contact with the *metal* box?

Doug Miller

In article , "George E. Cawthon" wrote:

BTW, both the grounded and the grounding wire,
at least in many receptacle, are connected to that metal
strap that ends in the ears.

Like hell they are.