Oh_Jeeze

Default ceiling drywall

So I tackled a project to fix a spare bedroom in my home over the
christmas break. The short story is... The room looked and smelled
horrible. I removed the balerina wall paper and painted the walls and
I removed the old dingy carpet. After removing the carpet I realized
that I would have to replace several pieces of plywood on the floor
becuase they have been treated with cat pee. In the process of
replacing the flooring I tripped over the shop vac, stepped on one of
those nail strips that are used to hold down carpet and fell between
and opening in the floor, through my ceiling, and into the livingroom.
My wife nearly had a heart attack and I quiet simply have never been so
embarressed in my entire life. Anyhow, after my wife got tired of
screaming at me I started repairing the the hole in the ceiling. I cut
a 6ft rectangle into the ceiling and I screwed in a 6ft peice of
drywall into the hole. Then I buttered the seams, added the drywall
tape, and put a layer of joint compound over the tape. I have not yet
put the third layer of joint compound on the seams because the tape is
puffing out in the center and it is still visible. What do I do? I
have never fixed a hole that big before. Nor have I ever fixed a hole
in ceiling drywall. Any tips.

Matt

They make a mesh type joint tape you might want to use, made out of
some sort of fiberglass or plastic. Self adhesive as well. I've always
found it to work better than standard paper joint tape.

John Harlow

A small piece of duct tape would have covered the "screaming" wife's mouth
rather inexpensively.

Personally, I don't even use drywall tape. Just taper the spackling
and sand. Works for me.

John Grabowski

You should have waited for the first coat of mud under the tape to dry
completely before applying the second coat on top. The only fix that I know
of is to pull off the tape and start over. Always wait for the spackle to
dry completely in between coats.

What did you decide to do about the bathroom fan?

"Oh_Jeeze" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Mikepier

If the puffing is not that bad, cut the bubble with a utility knife and
try to get some spackle underneath the bubble and go over it with the
spackle knife making it flat. Wait a day for it to completely dry
before going over it.

Pop

John Harlow wrote:
A small piece of duct tape would have covered the "screaming"
wife's
mouth rather inexpensively.

Wow, while her arms and legs were still free? No thanks; I'm
just dumb, not stupid!

LoL