Installing security lights in eaves

Old December 29th 04, 02:05 AM
[email protected]

Default Installing security lights in eaves

Hello-

I have a single-floor ranch style house and would like to install a
couple of security lights on the front and back of the house. Most of
the instructions I read for installing security lights begin with the
words "Remove the existing fixture" which I do not have. Anyway, I went
up to the roof and unless I shrink down to my size at roughly age 6,
there is no way I am going to get any wiring box between the roof and
the eave top from the roof side.

Right now I'm thinking my best option is to cut out a roughly 1'x2'
section of the eave from the *BOTTOM*, nail a ceiling fixture box to
one of the exposed studs (with the appropriate amount of wire
attached), cut the appropriate hole and reattach the eave to the studs.

Question:
Is there a patently obvious and easier way to do this that I am
missing? Has anyone tried this before and found an easier way?
Thanks and Regards,

Roger

Old December 29th 04, 05:45 PM
Jag Man

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I'm not an electrician, but I did mine myself on a So. California
ranch style.
I drilled through from the outside, then poked a length of steel
electrical
conduit (not flex) from the outside. It was long enough to reach a
place in
the attic that I could work. I pulled wires up through the wall from
an
existing light switch, and fed through the conduit after applying a
little
lubricant made for wire pulling. The outside end of the conduit is
attached to a junction box, mounted on the outside where the conduit
comes through. There is then a short waterproof flex conduit that goes
the light fixture. The conduit end in the attic is fastened to a
rafter (or is
it a joist?). I guess I should have attached a junction box at that
point,
but didn't see the point. I did remove the sharp edge so the wire
would
not chafe.

Ed

Old January 7th 05, 09:49 PM
CR

wrote in message
[...]

You can use a "3" cut-in box". You use a 3 5/8" hole saw from the outside,
in-between your rafters or studs (the box does not attach to them) . As
stated before, you then run your wires to the hole that you cut. Run them
into the box and then pound the box into the hole. The box has spring steel
ears on it that pop behind your siding or eave material. You then tighten
two screws that are inside the box from the outside of your house and it
pulls the ears tight to the inside. I don't think the Home Depot type stores
carry them. May have to go to a electrical supply house. Should be about
$2 - $3 apiece

CR