Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repairing gas dryer

Im a long time DIY repair guy... Will tackle anything inckuding gas lines, stove, furnace, etc. But hesitate to work on a gas dryer the first time. Burner stopped lighting. If its the igniter, what the chance of me replacing it ok without screwing up and risking a fire later?

Thx.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2019 8:58 AM, WGUV wrote:
Im a long time DIY repair guy... Will tackle anything inckuding gas lines, stove, furnace, etc. But hesitate to work on a gas dryer the first time. Burner stopped lighting. If its the igniter, what the chance of me replacing it ok without screwing up and risking a fire later?

Thx.

Don't know but after an experience screwing up an oven I learned to look
on line first and see what advice was given. Maybe even find diagrams
and videos on making the repair you need.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 20, 2019 at 9:18:35 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On 12/20/2019 8:58 AM, WGUV wrote:
Im a long time DIY repair guy... Will tackle anything inckuding gas lines, stove, furnace, etc. But hesitate to work on a gas dryer the first time.. Burner stopped lighting. If its the igniter, what the chance of me replacing it ok without screwing up and risking a fire later?

Thx.

Don't know but after an experience screwing up an oven I learned to look
on line first and see what advice was given. Maybe even find diagrams
and videos on making the repair you need.

Especially videos. Good chance there is a Youtube video that shows
diagnosing and repairing a similar model.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You may find the information you need at www.repairclinic.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2019 8:58 AM, WGUV wrote:
Im a long time DIY repair guy... Will tackle anything inckuding gas lines, stove, furnace, etc. But hesitate to work on a gas dryer the first time. Burner stopped lighting. If its the igniter, what the chance of me replacing it ok without screwing up and risking a fire later?

Thx.

As a DIYer, I'm surprised at your hesitance but somewhat understand
since I will do most work on my car if needed, but I won't touch the AC
system.

IMO, the dryer is nothing if you've worked with the gas line directly.
Installing an igniter is no different than replacing any other part on
an appliance or vehicle. There isn't an abundance of gas seeping out
that will cause a major explosion when a spark hits. You have a greater
chance of a fire from a lint clogged vent than an igniter.

Overall, first consider what the real problem may be. If other
components malfunction, the igniter won't function. You need to check
the thermostat. fuses, flame sensors, solenoid, coils, etc. If any of
those parts malfunction, the igniter won't do it's job. If the issue of
troubleshooting is more than you can handle or want to handle, then I
suggest a repair person, otherwise, get going.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Open the top control panel. There may be a diy manual in there. There was for my washer transmission and everthing else. I was surprised.