standard sizes for window panes???

Old December 21st 04, 09:16 AM
mike hide

Default standard sizes for window panes???

I am thinking of making my own replacement windows, replacing the existing
single pane windows with double pane ones. If possible i would like the
glass to be sealed low "e" glass [preferrably with krypton gas].

is there such an animal ???? mjh

Old December 21st 04, 08:14 PM
William W. Plummer

mike hide wrote:
I am thinking of making my own replacement windows, replacing the existing
single pane windows with double pane ones. If possible i would like the
glass to be sealed low "e" glass [preferrably with krypton gas].

is there such an animal ???? mjh

That sounds like a lot of work. I just ripped out a couple of vinyl
windows and put in Anderson windows. I had to use new-construction
units because that's all Andersen makes. So there was a bit of
carpentry to do, but it has to be easier than building your own window!
Old December 21st 04, 09:04 PM
Joe Bobst

I am thinking of making my own replacement windows,

Call some glass shops to find one that repairs double pane windows. They can
tell you what sizes are common and you can go from there.
Seems to me that this project will be really time consuming, but if you enjoy
doing it, go ahead. Some people do their own dental work, so, hey, I'm not
going to be critical. Good luck.

Joe

Old December 22nd 04, 01:03 AM
Duane Bozarth

PAUL100 wrote:

There is no standard sizes on insulated glass windows. They will make any size
you want on the 16th of an inch. you also need to know the thickness of the
unit. Usually this runs anywhere from 3/8" to 1". getting lowe and argon gas
will be easy. Trying to find Krypton might be hard since not a lot of companys
are using it yet.

Handling the extra thickness will probably by the most challenging
portion of making them. You'll have to start w/ 1-3/4 stock rather than
1-1/8 and most window sash cutter sets aren't designed for a rabbet
deeper than standard single glaze. This can be compensated for, but
will take a little extra initial set up.