pray4surf

Default CATV - Cable Signal Leak

Cable provider stopped by in my absence yesterday and slapped me with a
"Call for Service" tag indicating I have a Cable Signal Leak. I've scheduled
a service call for tomorrow (mid-day PST). But wanted to get schooled on
exactly what a Cable Signal Leak is. I've googled both this NG and
alt.cable-tv and followed up on various suggestions posted in the past...

A little background info -

A year ago as we begun a remodel, the h2o line that the cable ground was
terminated at was relocated and the ground never re-connected. All this time
cable service was not affected.

The cabling setup / schematic has the feed cable that enters a three-way
splitter that feeds to outlets and another three-way splitter which then
feed three more outlets. I'd try a ASCII diagram, but I'd prolly screw that
up also..

As of this posting, only the two feeds coming from the first splitter
provide a clear picture....

I've replaced both splitters to no avail. I've replaced the cable from the
first splitter to the other to no avail.

I've reconnected the ground, to no avail...

So I'm stuck until the service tech arrives tomorrow...

Any advice? I haven't eliminated the chance that any of the replacement
parts are defective. I do have a multi-tester but no idea on how this might
be used...

TIA

Rick
--
Computer recommends - Hard drinking calypso poet

Tony Hwang

pray4surf wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Do you use all the output connectors on splitters? If any one is unused,
is it terminated with terminator plug? They sell them at the RS.
Tony
pray4surf

: Hi,
: Do you use all the output connectors on splitters? If any one is unused,
: is it terminated with terminator plug? They sell them at the RS.
: Tony

No, but that's never 'seemed' to matter in the past...

Would a terminator plug be needed on 'unused' wall outlets?

On a side note, would the individual splitters require their own ground?

Thanks!!!

Now my suspicious side speaking... Could the cable co have 'done' anything
from the outside of my house?

Rick

Playintennis5274

But wanted to get schooled on
exactly what a Cable Signal Leak is.

it means that somewhere in your house' cable wires, you are" leaking" the
cable signal out into the atmosphere where it can and does interfere w/ other
communicatin equipment. Like airplanes , or your next door neighbor who still
uses an antenna. Anyways, the fcc can fine cable co.s for any signal leaks they
find. Now. . ." your leak" will be 1 of 2 things. . i'd bet it's the 1st. If
you have any splitters in your house that have an open/unused port / guess what
? ? ? that is a leak. any unused outlets that are active must be "terminated"
little attatchments that block any signal from escaping. You can get cheap
ones at radio shack. But your cable tech will have them for no $. The 2nd poss
cause is a damaged line somewhere on your property, but if tha is the cause,
you would have some channels that are real crappy. hope that helped you out
pray4surf

With Tony also chiming in indicating terminators, I'll bet your guess will
be correct.

I did have add'l questions in my reply to Tony... ;-)

Hope you two have a great holiday! And many thanks for the advice....

Rick

G. Morgan

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 06:14:31 GMT "pray4surf"
used 19 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

: Hi,
: Do you use all the output connectors on splitters? If any one is unused,
: is it terminated with terminator plug? They sell them at the RS.
: Tony

No, but that's never 'seemed' to matter in the past...

Would a terminator plug be needed on 'unused' wall outlets?

no. see below , you halfwit

On a side note, would the individual splitters require their own ground?

no. geeezus-- scroll down.....

The cable should be grounded at the "ground block" at the service entrance.
Since you're obviously stealing service ---- you missed that.....

Thanks!!!

Now my suspicious side speaking... Could the cable co have 'done' anything
from the outside of my ho

Here's my suspicious side. You made your own ****ty fittings, with the pussy
hair hanging out of them and stingers 2" long. They look like they're made up by
a retard, right? Next time, make sure you know what the **** you're doing. Use
real fittings instead of Crap-Shack ones, and learn how to make them up, you
nincompoop.

And don't install cheap-ass splitters all over... You only install the exact
amount of splitter outputs you'll use. Then, you won't need 75 ohm terminators
the other ****wits told you to get.

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
pray4surf

Thanks! Graham

???

Rick

Paul Franklin

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 05:17:54 GMT, "pray4surf"
wrote:

[...]

Went through this a couple of years ago.

Not having a terminator on won't leak enough signal to bring the cable
police down on you, you need a pretty big leak before they sweat it,
at least around here.

Mine turned out to be a place where those pesky mice chewed through
the outer jacket, shield, and inner insulation on a 2" section of
cable inside a wall, leaving the center conductor bare for 2". When
the cable guy brought his directional signal sniffer in, he was able
to isolate the particular length by disconnecting feeds from the
splitter while monitoring the leak. He left it disconnected, told me
to fix it, and left. No biggie. I assume they did a double check at
some later time to make sure I hadn't just reconnected it.

We live in the woods, and there's no way to keep the mice out when it
turns cold; best I can do is trap them when they get in, but sometimes
it takes a while to get them all.

Paul

Jim Yanik

"pray4surf" wrote in
:

[...]

Common sources of leaks or EMI sources are improperly tightened F
connectors,corroded connectors,open ports on splitters,cuts in the coax
shield.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
BOB URZ

pray4surf wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a partial DIY JOB. Did you use the PROPER HF
coax? RG-58 won't cut it. Proper RG-6 or better will.
Did you have a proper crimp tool when you made the connections?
Or did you use screw on ones? Did you have cheap splitters?

Your cable company will painfully point out these items if there
not the way they should be. Don't surprised if they swap out your splitters and
put new ends on your cables. Or disconnect any improper cable buried in the
walls.

Bob.

pray4surf

: Cable provider stopped by in my absence yesterday and slapped me with a
: "Call for Service" tag indicating I have a Cable Signal Leak.

thanks all...

Cable co was out. Replaced the primary 'feed/service' cable and problem
solved. Did recommend that I replace the 'old' cable with new. Looks like I
have my p.m. project ahead of me, chasing new cable down the walls...

Rick
--
Computer recommends - Hard drinking calypso poet

Jim Yanik

"pray4surf" wrote in
:

: Cable provider stopped by in my absence yesterday and slapped me with
: a "Call for Service" tag indicating I have a Cable Signal Leak.

thanks all...

Cable co was out. Replaced the primary 'feed/service' cable and
problem solved. Did recommend that I replace the 'old' cable with new.
Looks like I have my p.m. project ahead of me, chasing new cable down
the walls...

Rick

So the problem was in their drop?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
pray4surf

:
: So the problem was in their drop?
:
:
Yes...

Bob Urz

Jim Yanik wrote:

"pray4surf" wrote in
:

: Cable provider stopped by in my absence yesterday and slapped me with
: a "Call for Service" tag indicating I have a Cable Signal Leak.

thanks all...

Cable co was out. Replaced the primary 'feed/service' cable and
problem solved. Did recommend that I replace the 'old' cable with new.
Looks like I have my p.m. project ahead of me, chasing new cable down
the walls...

Rick

So the problem was in their drop?

Dam squirrels stealing CATV signals. They should be shot......

Bob

MC

Was my problem at one time, Squirrels chewed into the drop cable where
enters the house!
They also like christmas lights, the colored ones, At leaset until Im left
them plugged in all the time for a while

"Bob Urz" wrote in message

Jim Yanik wrote:

"pray4surf" wrote in
:

: Cable provider stopped by in my absence yesterday and slapped me with
: a "Call for Service" tag indicating I have a Cable Signal Leak.

thanks all...

Cable co was out. Replaced the primary 'feed/service' cable and
problem solved. Did recommend that I replace the 'old' cable with new.
Looks like I have my p.m. project ahead of me, chasing new cable down
the walls...

Rick

So the problem was in their drop?

Dam squirrels stealing CATV signals. They should be shot......

Bob

==----------
-----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers

=-----

Jim Yanik

"MC" wrote in
:

Was my problem at one time, Squirrels chewed into the drop cable where
enters the house!
They also like christmas lights, the colored ones, At leaset until Im
left them plugged in all the time for a while

According to cable industry magazines,number one EMI problem is bad
connectors;either improperly installed,corroded,or loose.

(I used to work for companies that made and serviced cable test equipment.)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net