Leroy Mowry

Default Tree stump stuck.

A tree stump the size of Boeing engine core (3 cubic feet) is in a hole
we cannot get out. We dug dirt around the tree stump, cut all the
roots but not enough to get a manual saw comfortably in there. The
stump moves freely with no obstructions but too heavy for any men to
lift out of the hole.

Our neighbor wants our large tree cut down, stump remove. And we
spent all our last dime on a branch-trunk cutting crew. Which now
leaves us with a heavy tree stump to be put into our large van going to
a dumpsite. What are some ways that we could try to get a tree
stump onto a flat surface?

Thanks

m Ransley

You say the Neighbor wants it cut down and stump removed? Well if my
Neighbor wanted it done I would let them pay for it. Or are we missing
your point. It is your land remember, you can do as you wish and only
what you can afford. That stump is heavy and wet, your van may not
handle its weight

Kyle Boatright

"xrongor" wrote in message
put ad in paper, say free stump for firewood.

might work..

Anyone who bit on that one would either be too stupid to own a vehicle, or
would earn himself a Darwin award trying to retrieve the stump... While you
might win the $1,000 on America's Funniest Home Videos, it would just give
the victim's relatives another $1,000 reasons to sue you.

Joseph Meehan

Leroy Mowry wrote:
A tree stump the size of Boeing engine core (3 cubic feet) is in a
hole we cannot get out. We dug dirt around the tree stump, cut all the
roots but not enough to get a manual saw comfortably in there. The
stump moves freely with no obstructions but too heavy for any men to
lift out of the hole.

Our neighbor wants our large tree cut down, stump remove. And we
spent all our last dime on a branch-trunk cutting crew. Which now
leaves us with a heavy tree stump to be put into our large van going
to a dumpsite. What are some ways that we could try to get a tree
stump onto a flat surface?

Thanks

Maybe it would have been a good idea to just grind the stump and have a
large pile of mulch.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

John Harlow

What are some ways that we could try to get a tree
stump onto a flat surface?

Rent an engine lift.

xrongor

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message

"xrongor" wrote in message
put ad in paper, say free stump for firewood.

might work..

Anyone who bit on that one would either be too stupid to own a vehicle, or
would earn himself a Darwin award trying to retrieve the stump... While
you might win the $1,000 on America's Funniest Home Videos, it would just
give the victim's relatives another $1,000 reasons to sue you.

make em sign a release..

randy

TCS

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:58:43 GMT, Yenc-Post 2002 wrote:
"Leroy Mowry" wrote in
m:

A tree stump the size of Boeing engine core (3 cubic feet) is in a hole
we cannot get out. We dug dirt around the tree stump, cut all the
roots but not enough to get a manual saw comfortably in there. The
stump moves freely with no obstructions but too heavy for any men to
lift out of the hole.

Our neighbor wants our large tree cut down, stump remove. And we
spent all our last dime on a branch-trunk cutting crew. Which now
leaves us with a heavy tree stump to be put into our large van going to
a dumpsite. What are some ways that we could try to get a tree
stump onto a flat surface?

Thanks

Seems as though the tree stump has a smarter brain than you.

You too, considering the lack of anything constructive you might have
added.
Duane Bozarth

Leroy Mowry wrote:

...story about tree stump...

I'm thinking this would be a good time to contact the producers of the
Red Green show ...
Noozer

"TCS" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:58:43 GMT, Yenc-Post 2002

wrote:
"Leroy Mowry" wrote in
m:

A tree stump the size of Boeing engine core (3 cubic feet) is in a hole
we cannot get out. We dug dirt around the tree stump, cut all the
roots but not enough to get a manual saw comfortably in there. The
stump moves freely with no obstructions but too heavy for any men to
lift out of the hole.

Our neighbor wants our large tree cut down, stump remove. And we
spent all our last dime on a branch-trunk cutting crew. Which now
leaves us with a heavy tree stump to be put into our large van going to
a dumpsite. What are some ways that we could try to get a tree
stump onto a flat surface?

Seems as though the tree stump has a smarter brain than you.

You too, considering the lack of anything constructive you might have
added.

As well as your comment...

dane

"Leroy Mowry" wrote in message
.. .
A tree stump the size of Boeing engine core (3 cubic feet) is in a hole
we cannot get out. We dug dirt around the tree stump, cut all the
roots but not enough to get a manual saw comfortably in there. The
stump moves freely with no obstructions but too heavy for any men to
lift out of the hole.

Our neighbor wants our large tree cut down, stump remove. And we
spent all our last dime on a branch-trunk cutting crew. Which now
leaves us with a heavy tree stump to be put into our large van going to
a dumpsite. What are some ways that we could try to get a tree
stump onto a flat surface?

Thanks

Use a chain saw, steel wedges and a sledgehammer to divide the stump into
pieces small enough to remove. It was hard work, but it worked for me.

someone

Leroy Mowry wrote:
A tree stump the size of Boeing engine core (3 cubic feet) is in a hole
we cannot get out. We dug dirt around the tree stump, cut all the
roots but not enough to get a manual saw comfortably in there. The
stump moves freely with no obstructions but too heavy for any men to
lift out of the hole.

Our neighbor wants our large tree cut down, stump remove. And we
spent all our last dime on a branch-trunk cutting crew. Which now
leaves us with a heavy tree stump to be put into our large van going to
a dumpsite. What are some ways that we could try to get a tree
stump onto a flat surface?

Thanks

I would guess a 3 cubic feet stump wouldn't weigh more than a couple
hundred pounds. Not like a 3 cubic feet metal.

Remember how do you get your 20" TV home? It is more than the size of
the stump!
JerryMouse

Leroy Mowry wrote:
A tree stump the size of Boeing engine core (3 cubic feet) is in a
hole we cannot get out. We dug dirt around the tree stump, cut all the
roots but not enough to get a manual saw comfortably in there. The
stump moves freely with no obstructions but too heavy for any men to
lift out of the hole.

Our neighbor wants our large tree cut down, stump remove. And we
spent all our last dime on a branch-trunk cutting crew. Which now
leaves us with a heavy tree stump to be put into our large van going
to a dumpsite. What are some ways that we could try to get a tree
stump onto a flat surface?

Thanks

First principles:

1. Get the stump out in one piece.
a. Boeing engine hydraulic lifting device
b. Big truck and chain
c. Kitty-cat, harness, and big-ass whip.

2. Get the stump out in multiple, smaller, pieces.
a. Chain saw. Try to sculp something obscene. Time will fly.

Arthur Shapiro

In article , "Leroy Mowry" wrote:
A tree stump the size of Boeing engine core (3 cubic feet) is in a hole
we cannot get out.

Are you sure you aren't being victimized by a "tap root" (a root growing
vertically downwards from the stump)? The stump will seem to be loose, and
jiggle around freely in the pit you've dug, but can't be raised until you
tunnel underneath it and cut the last root or roots.

I know what you're going through - A few years ago, after having a couple
trees taken down, I spent a few weeks gradually getting out the stumps as
time permitted. It wasn't fun.

Art

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 11:13:37 -0500, someone wrote:

Use a chain saw, steel wedges and a sledgehammer to divide the stump into
pieces small enough to remove. It was hard work, but it worked for me.

How many chains did you ruin?

Normally nobody in their right mind chainsaws an actual stump (in the
ground) because the smallest amount of earth dulls the chain in
seconds, and the stump is quite dirty.

And normally plastic wedges are used while chainsawing. Steel is for
spitting already sawn firewood.

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:33:41 GMT, someone wrote:

A tree stump the size of Boeing engine core (3 cubic feet) is in a hole
we cannot get out. We dug dirt around the tree stump, cut all the
roots but not enough to get a manual saw comfortably in there. The
stump moves freely with no obstructions but too heavy for any men to
lift out of the hole.

Your string of posts makes your projects sound like the 3 Stooges or
worse. You must be underestimating the size since 3 cubic feet of
water weighs less than 200 lbs and wood would normally weigh less than
water (it floats) for the same volume. Either that or you need more
and bigger (make that stronger) men.

When you say it "moves freely" - what do you really mean, that you can
rock it back and forth, spin it around a few degrees? A small fibrous
root underneath can be strong as a rope, the stump will rock but can't
be lifted because it is tied down.

Otherwise, chains, come-alongs (ratchet pullers), jacks, tripod,
vehicle, etc. etc. For someone on a "pioneering" project you don't
seem very resourceful. Why do you have to remove the stump anyway?
How is the neighbor the boss of you?

-v.

Mark and Kim Smith

Leroy Mowry wrote:

A tree stump the size of Boeing engine core (3 cubic feet) is in a hole
we cannot get out. We dug dirt around the tree stump, cut all the
roots but not enough to get a manual saw comfortably in there. The
stump moves freely with no obstructions but too heavy for any men to
lift out of the hole.

Our neighbor wants our large tree cut down, stump remove. And we
spent all our last dime on a branch-trunk cutting crew. Which now
leaves us with a heavy tree stump to be put into our large van going to
a dumpsite. What are some ways that we could try to get a tree
stump onto a flat surface?

Thanks

http://www.bunchobikes.com/tree.htm
dane

"v" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 11:13:37 -0500, someone wrote:

Use a chain saw, steel wedges and a sledgehammer to divide the stump into
pieces small enough to remove. It was hard work, but it worked for me.

How many chains did you ruin?

Normally nobody in their right mind chainsaws an actual stump (in the
ground) because the smallest amount of earth dulls the chain in
seconds, and the stump is quite dirty.

And normally plastic wedges are used while chainsawing. Steel is for
spitting already sawn firewood.

I didn't ruin any chains, but I did have to sharpen it once. You are allowed
to clean the earth off the outside of the stump first. The vast majority of
the cutting was on the interior of the stump.

The steel wedges were what I had available and were not left in the stump
while the chainsaw was being used. Iterations of cutting and splitting got
the stump removed. It wasn't easy work, but the stump is gone.

The best way is to pay a professional to take the stump away.

Retiredff

Leroy Mowry wrote:
Our neighbor wants our large tree cut down, stump remove.

All the replies, but didn't anyone think this part was a little odd?

dadiOH

Leroy Mowry wrote:
A tree stump the size of Boeing engine core (3 cubic feet) is in a
hole we cannot get out. We dug dirt around the tree stump, cut all the
roots but not enough to get a manual saw comfortably in there. The
stump moves freely with no obstructions but too heavy for any men to
lift out of the hole.

Our neighbor wants our large tree cut down, stump remove. And we
spent all our last dime on a branch-trunk cutting crew. Which now
leaves us with a heavy tree stump to be put into our large van going
to a dumpsite. What are some ways that we could try to get a tree
stump onto a flat surface?

Thanks

Don't y'all just miss dynamite like crazy?

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

Andy Hill

"Leroy Mowry" wrote:
A tree stump the size of Boeing engine core (3 cubic feet) is in a hole
we cannot get out. We dug dirt around the tree stump, cut all the
roots but not enough to get a manual saw comfortably in there. The
stump moves freely with no obstructions but too heavy for any men to
lift out of the hole.

3 cu ft shouldn't much of a problem. I assume you mean 3 ft cubed (27 cu ft).
Even assuming you've chopped the side / tap roots, that bad boy weighs well over
half a ton. You're either going to have to take it out in chunks, or find
someone with a flatbed and a lift (like you'd use for hauling big landscaping
rocks).
Just Dad

"Leroy Mowry" wrote
A tree stump the size of Boeing engine core (3 cubic feet) is in a hole
we cannot get out. We dug dirt around the tree stump, cut all the
roots but not enough to get a manual saw comfortably in there. The
stump moves freely with no obstructions but too heavy for any men to
lift out of the hole.

Our neighbor wants our large tree cut down, stump remove. And we
spent all our last dime on a branch-trunk cutting crew. Which now
leaves us with a heavy tree stump to be put into our large van going to
a dumpsite. What are some ways that we could try to get a tree
stump onto a flat surface?

Thanks

A long chain hooked to your neighbors car.

Jeff Wisnia

dadiOH wrote:
Leroy Mowry wrote:

A tree stump the size of Boeing engine core (3 cubic feet) is in a
hole we cannot get out. We dug dirt around the tree stump, cut all the
roots but not enough to get a manual saw comfortably in there. The
stump moves freely with no obstructions but too heavy for any men to
lift out of the hole.

Our neighbor wants our large tree cut down, stump remove. And we
spent all our last dime on a branch-trunk cutting crew. Which now
leaves us with a heavy tree stump to be put into our large van going
to a dumpsite. What are some ways that we could try to get a tree
stump onto a flat surface?

Thanks

Don't y'all just miss dynamite like crazy?

You beat me too it. I still fondly remember watching a stump arching
right over the roof of my parents summer home in Woiodside, California
circa 1943. That was sure the easy way to get them out, providing the
trajectory cooperated.

Happy Holidays guys,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
TCS

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:46:50 GMT, Just Dad wrote:

"Leroy Mowry" wrote
A tree stump the size of Boeing engine core (3 cubic feet) is in a hole
we cannot get out. We dug dirt around the tree stump, cut all the
roots but not enough to get a manual saw comfortably in there. The
stump moves freely with no obstructions but too heavy for any men to
lift out of the hole.

Our neighbor wants our large tree cut down, stump remove. And we
spent all our last dime on a branch-trunk cutting crew. Which now
leaves us with a heavy tree stump to be put into our large van going to
a dumpsite. What are some ways that we could try to get a tree
stump onto a flat surface?

Thanks

A long chain hooked to your neighbors car.

Aren't those the same instructions for how to remove the bumper off your
neighbor's car?

JennP

"Leroy Mowry" wrote in message
.. .
A tree stump the size of Boeing engine core (3 cubic feet) is in a hole
we cannot get out. We dug dirt around the tree stump, cut all the
roots but not enough to get a manual saw comfortably in there. The
stump moves freely with no obstructions but too heavy for any men to
lift out of the hole.

Why don't you fill the dirt back in around it and just grind it?

JennP.

JennP.

Just Dad

"TCS" wrote
"Leroy Mowry" wrote in message
Our neighbor wants our large tree cut down, stump remove. And we
spent all our last dime on a branch-trunk cutting crew. Which now

Aren't those the same instructions for how to remove the bumper off your
neighbor's car?

Exactly, especially since it's the neighbor that wants the stump removed.
)

William W. Plummer

JennP wrote:
"Leroy Mowry" wrote in message
.. .

A tree stump the size of Boeing engine core (3 cubic feet) is in a hole
we cannot get out. We dug dirt around the tree stump, cut all the
roots but not enough to get a manual saw comfortably in there. The
stump moves freely with no obstructions but too heavy for any men to
lift out of the hole.

Start stacking rocks under the stump. Use a heavy prybar to lift the
stump up an inch or so and then stuff more rocks in. It takes awhile
but I have moved rocks 2' in diameter up and out of a hole.
Kyle Boatright

"xrongor" wrote in message
put ad in paper, say free stump for firewood.

might work..

Anyone who bit on that one would either be too stupid to own a vehicle,
or would earn himself a Darwin award trying to retrieve the stump...
While you might win the $1,000 on America's Funniest Home Videos, it
would just give the victim's relatives another $1,000 reasons to sue you.

make em sign a release..

randy

A victim can't sign away his/her relatives' right to sue you. S/he can only
sign away his or her right to sue you. This is one of the problems with
releases...

You ask, if the victim signed a release, why can his kids/wife sue? Because
they lost the utility of having the poor SOB around (lost wages, etc.).

Jeff Wisnia

Leroy Mowry wrote:

A tree stump the size of Boeing engine core (3 cubic feet) is in a hole
we cannot get out. We dug dirt around the tree stump, cut all the
roots but not enough to get a manual saw comfortably in there. The
stump moves freely with no obstructions but too heavy for any men to
lift out of the hole.

Our neighbor wants our large tree cut down, stump remove. And we
spent all our last dime on a branch-trunk cutting crew. Which now
leaves us with a heavy tree stump to be put into our large van going to
a dumpsite. What are some ways that we could try to get a tree
stump onto a flat surface?

Thanks

As long as you've got a lot of it exposed, how about pouring some
charcoal lighter, kero or mineral spirits onto it, getting some hot dogs
and marshmallows for the kids to roast and burning it out?

Maybe a little dry scrap wood around it could help with the combustion

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

SteveB

"TCS" wrote

Aren't those the same instructions for how to remove the bumper off your
neighbor's car?

Anyone recall that video on the net about a year ago where some teenagers
were trying to get a car unstuck out of some snow, and pulled their bumper
off?

Steve

xrongor

put ad in paper, say free stump for firewood.

might work..

Anyone who bit on that one would either be too stupid to own a vehicle,
or would earn himself a Darwin award trying to retrieve the stump...
While you might win the $1,000 on America's Funniest Home Videos, it
would just give the victim's relatives another $1,000 reasons to sue
you.

make em sign a release..

randy

A victim can't sign away his/her relatives' right to sue you. S/he can
only sign away his or her right to sue you. This is one of the problems
with releases...

You ask, if the victim signed a release, why can his kids/wife sue?
Because they lost the utility of having the poor SOB around (lost wages,
etc.).

jesus. its christmans. go find something else to do besides dog me with
you hypothetical legal mumbo jumbo. go watch some more tv and scare
yourself into a frenzy so you're afraid to do anything for fear of lawsuit.

randy

effi

metal tripod
$200

pulleys, chains, & ropes $150

camcorder to record entire setup collapsing $200

knowing others who would suggest such a thing PRICELESS

the idea of cutting it into smaller pieces sounds like a winner, rent a mo
powerfuller chainsaw to do it quicker, unless you can swing getting a stump
grinder

"Leroy Mowry" wrote in message
.. .
A tree stump the size of Boeing engine core (3 cubic feet) is in a hole
we cannot get out. We dug dirt around the tree stump, cut all the
roots but not enough to get a manual saw comfortably in there. The
stump moves freely with no obstructions but too heavy for any men to
lift out of the hole.

Our neighbor wants our large tree cut down, stump remove. And we
spent all our last dime on a branch-trunk cutting crew. Which now
leaves us with a heavy tree stump to be put into our large van going to
a dumpsite. What are some ways that we could try to get a tree
stump onto a flat surface?

Thanks

Chris Lewis

According to effi :
metal tripod
$200

pulleys, chains, & ropes $150

camcorder to record entire setup collapsing $200

knowing others who would suggest such a thing PRICELESS

Three 8' 4x4s, a long 3/4" bolt, and a "come-along" - modern implementation
of what farmers have been doing for 100s of years. About $50 total.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
TCS

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:23:10 -0800, SteveB wrote:

"TCS" wrote

Aren't those the same instructions for how to remove the bumper off your
neighbor's car?

Anyone recall that video on the net about a year ago where some teenagers
were trying to get a car unstuck out of some snow, and pulled their bumper
off?

I heard a similar dumb-criminal story where the idiots tried to pull yank out
an ATM and ended up leaving behind their bumper...

license plate and all.

Frank

"Leroy Mowry" wrote in message
.. .
A tree stump the size of Boeing engine core (3 cubic feet) is in a hole
we cannot get out. We dug dirt around the tree stump, cut all the
roots but not enough to get a manual saw comfortably in there. The
stump moves freely with no obstructions but too heavy for any men to
lift out of the hole.

Our neighbor wants our large tree cut down, stump remove. And we
spent all our last dime on a branch-trunk cutting crew. Which now
leaves us with a heavy tree stump to be put into our large van going to
a dumpsite. What are some ways that we could try to get a tree
stump onto a flat surface?

Thanks

3 cubic foot would be easy but I assume you mean 3 cubic yard - that's
another story. I've removed many stumps but none close to 3 cy. That would
be about 4,000 lbs including the dirt stuck to the root ball and getting
this sucker out of the hole would be a major bitch. I've broken a 3 ton and
a 4 ton come along, broken a 2 ton engine hoist and worn out a few chains
and a new chainsaw on a much smaller stump. I ended up digging down to form
a ram, using steel plates as skits and with a come along pulling it out.
Good luck.

Leroy Mowry

"v" wrote
When you say it "moves freely" - what do you really mean, that you can
rock it back and forth, spin it around a few degrees? Why do you have
to remove the stump anyway? How is the neighbor the boss of you?

Thanks all for the intelligent, proven ideas. The neighbor complains that
the roots are damaging their plumbing and that the branches scraping their
bedroom roof are just too dangerous. I just got a call from the city saying
that they'll take the stump for free if it's pushed to the curbside. I will
inspect for the fibrous root underneath again, which we suspect are gone
since we rock the stump from side to side (2'). But first we'll move the
stump upward a inches or so to get a good view down there. I apologize
for the size, as a few posters notice. It's actually nearly 3 ft cubed (27 cu ft)
but not 3 cu ft. Thankfully, another poster (Mark) posted photographs
identical to my problem. The same driveway, location, fences,
dirt, and tools. The only difference is that the stump and dug hole are
almost about "two or three times" as great compared to these pictures.
http://www.bunchobikes.com/tree.htm

I assume a neighbor may complain if the tree is within a certain
distance from their property. Or if the roots of a line tree or
neighboring tree cause problems, an owner can abate the nuisance.
Civil Code Section 3502. Can anyone advise if I'm interpreting the
law correctly? Thanks.

bumtracks

I sort of went through this with a neighboring home sale once, purchaser
making stipulations on the purchase offer.

if a neighbor points out your tree is in poor health and a hazard to his
property and it then damages them or their property they can make you pay -
however, if this tree is a healthy tree that's been existing for some time
the neighbor is responsible for trimming to keep it away from his roof ...
not sure about the roots, but would think he would be responsible for his
old sewer line that probably needs replaced with PVC anyhow.

[...]

Sexytom976

If you want to do it the half assed
way....

Either make a good old fashion cocktail
of napolm (spelling is probabbly off) or
just use explosives.

Its ALWAYS more entertaining watching it
either blow up or burn down...

Just remember to drill a hole first in the
center, place the charge and scream...

FIRE IN THE HOLE!

Tom

JerryMouse wrote:
Leroy Mowry wrote:
[...]

Explosives: Tree stump removal Crafty Home Repair 73 May 5th 06 05:40 PM
Tree Stump m Ransley Home Repair 23 August 26th 04 02:46 PM
unfortunate Lazarus Long Woodworking 32 April 20th 04 02:44 PM
Tree stump removal Brian UK diy 46 April 6th 04 12:57 PM
Tree stump removal with rock salt? Arthur Davis Home Repair 19 February 24th 04 05:41 PM