Mick

Default Basement Insulation

Our house has an unfinished basement, which I use as a workshop. There is
pink insulation between the basement and first floor. Is there any reason
(health-wise) why this insulation should be covered with anything? Right
now, it's exposed. I know there's debate about how harmful it may or may
not be to work with, but if it's just sitting there between the joists
undisturbed, is there anything to be concerned about? TIA.

---Mick

Edwin Pawlowski

"Mick" wrote in message
Our house has an unfinished basement, which I use as a workshop. There is
pink insulation between the basement and first floor. Is there any reason
(health-wise) why this insulation should be covered with anything? Right
now, it's exposed. I know there's debate about how harmful it may or may
not be to work with, but if it's just sitting there between the joists
undisturbed, is there anything to be concerned about? TIA.

---Mick

Nope, it is Owens Cornings brand of extruded polystyrene foam plastic. Same
material used in the meat packing trays and take out food containers. It is
treated with bromides to retard burning. There is no outgassing of any
chemicals.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

I can't think of any direct health problems.
It might collect dust.
White painted gypsum board would reflect light better.

TB

Speedy Jim

Mick wrote:
Our house has an unfinished basement, which I use as a workshop. There is
pink insulation between the basement and first floor. Is there any reason
(health-wise) why this insulation should be covered with anything? Right
now, it's exposed. I know there's debate about how harmful it may or may
not be to work with, but if it's just sitting there between the joists
undisturbed, is there anything to be concerned about? TIA.

---Mick

It probably gets disturbed every time someone walks on the floor upstairs.

I know the jury is still out on fiberglass exposure, but I personally
would feel "uncomfortable" with a source directly overhead.

Jim
Joseph Meehan

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Mick" wrote in message
Our house has an unfinished basement, which I use as a workshop. There is
pink insulation between the basement and first floor. Is
there any reason (health-wise) why this insulation should be covered
with anything? Right now, it's exposed. I know there's debate
about how harmful it may or may not be to work with, but if it's
just sitting there between the joists undisturbed, is there anything
to be concerned about? TIA. ---Mick

Nope, it is Owens Cornings brand of extruded polystyrene foam
plastic. Same material used in the meat packing trays and take out
food containers. It is treated with bromides to retard burning. There is
no outgassing of any chemicals.

Ed, that wacky tobacco is getting to you again. :-)

Mick,

There is some unconfirmed concern about the glass fibers, but I don't
think you have much to worry about. Personally I would likely cover it if
it were mine, just to keep things cleaner and neater.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Art

Considering that cheap furnace filters are made out of similar materials and
if you open an portable or whole house ac unit you will see similar material
in the cabinet, I would not worry about it. If you were going to die from
it it is already too late.

"Mick" wrote in message
Our house has an unfinished basement, which I use as a workshop. There is
pink insulation between the basement and first floor. Is there any reason
(health-wise) why this insulation should be covered with anything? Right
now, it's exposed. I know there's debate about how harmful it may or may
not be to work with, but if it's just sitting there between the joists
undisturbed, is there anything to be concerned about? TIA.

---Mick

Edwin Pawlowski

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Ed, that wacky tobacco is getting to you again. :-)

Mick,

There is some unconfirmed concern about the glass fibers, but I don't
think you have much to worry about. Personally I would likely cover it if
it were mine, just to keep things cleaner and neater.

--
Joseph Meehan

Duh, I was thinking of the pink foam plastic sheets, not the plain old
fiberglass.

Joseph Meehan

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Ed, that wacky tobacco is getting to you again. :-)

Mick,

There is some unconfirmed concern about the glass fibers, but I
don't think you have much to worry about. Personally I would likely
cover it if it were mine, just to keep things cleaner and neater.

--
Joseph Meehan

Duh, I was thinking of the pink foam plastic sheets, not the plain old
fiberglass.

Oh. I see. That is different. I seem to remember that it is OK for
use without a fire barier, but I would check that. Other than that I don't
see a problem. I don't think I would bother covering it.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Stormin Mormon

The problem that came to my mind. If he was to staple some plastic under the
floor, then the vapor barrier would be on the wrong (unheated) side of the
fiberglass.

--

Christopher A. Young
Keep Jesus Christ in CHRISTmas

Loft insulation David Hearn UK diy 26 November 10th 03 08:17 PM
Advice needed on new basement - sump hole higher than rest of basement Doug Swetland Home Ownership 1 September 24th 03 06:09 PM