Water got into formica countertop bevel seam.

Old December 17th 04, 03:27 AM
Greg G

Default Water got into formica countertop bevel seam.

We got a couple of custom formica countertops made about three years
ago, but they've only been in use two years. They have a bevel on the
front edge. So the beveled part is made up of a piece of formica maybe
3/8" wide.

At one edge, near the sink naturally, the seam has widened. Presumably
water got into the seam and swelled the plywood underneath. Is there
any way to undo the damage, i.e. UN-swell it? Failing that, can I
"seal" it somehow so it doesn't get worse? It's not that noticeable
yet, so if I could seal it and color in the slight split to nearly
match the formica I think it might be OK.

Ideas?

Greg Guarino
Old December 17th 04, 03:31 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Greg G" wrote in message

Failing that, can I
"seal" it somehow so it doesn't get worse? It's not that noticeable
yet, so if I could seal it and color in the slight split to nearly
match the formica I think it might be OK.

I'd use a colored stain or paint to give it the color and they coat it with
a marine or spar urethane to seal it. Perhaps there is an epoxy sealer that
would work better.

Old December 17th 04, 04:04 AM
Chris Perdue

From: Greg G

Is there
any way to undo the damage, i.e. UN-swell it? Failing that, can I
"seal" it somehow so it doesn't get worse? It's not that noticeable
yet, so if I could seal it and color in the slight split to nearly
match the formica I think it might be OK.

you won't "unswell" the wood, and itis actually quite common for a fabricated
top(custom edging) to "separate" a bit ...(they are affected by
humidity)....either go to the shop that fabricated the top or find your local
"laminate and plastics" supply house and buy some "seamfill"...it is colored
paste type material that dries like plastic...it is what laminate manufacturers
reccommend for sealing seams....

need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Why do gas water heaters fail? I-zheet M'drurz Home Repair 40 January 12th 04 09:59 PM
Why is this a bad idea? Mike Hibbert UK diy 18 August 28th 03 11:59 PM