Noah Vail

Default Termites

My significant other is absolutely right about almost everything. So much
so, that I am almost doubting myself on this issue.

Here is the problem...

When I bring firewood into the house, I first make a small pile, of about
four logs, by my back door. I make this little stack by the door so that I
can have quick access to the logs when the fire requires replenishing. It
saves me the time of putting on my shoes to walk the extra 10 steps to the
wood pile and pulling back the tarp that covers the wood. The trouble, as
my S.O. sees it, is that the logs leave crumbs of wood on the asphalt
driveway which connects to the concrete foundation outside my back door,
will cause termites to invade our house. The only wooden part of my house
that is close to it is a painted wooden door frame.

Now granted, you aren't supposed to store wood or have mulch close to your
house, but it is my belief is that these little pieces of wood are
absolutely and positively no danger of "attracting" termites. Heck, the
wood pile is ten steps away! Why wood... errr... would they bother with
these little bits of dry wood when they have so many other sources of moist
wood all around us? Heck... I live in the forest! sigh

Anyway... do any of you see any harm from leaving crumbs of wood... or even
a log of wood outside my back door?

TIA
Noah

Roger

My significant other is absolutely right about almost everything.

Not this time. You win, but correct her with great humility!

Anyway... do any of you see any harm from leaving crumbs of wood... or
even a log of wood outside my back door?

I leave a day's worth of logs on the redwood deck against my house all the
time, and the deck structure and siding are both wood. No, termites don't
get "attracted" by a few crumbs. It is however a good idea to keep
sufficient space between the woodpile and any structure it sits next to. My
main woodpile is under 3-foot eaves, sitting on brick path, and held off the
ground by cross- pieces, with a 6" air gap between the wall next to it.
Also, keep wood on a dry, well-drained spot. I also criss-cross the wood to
hasten seasoning and keep it dry and well drained. Continuously wet wood
will eventually begin to rot, and in that state it becomes very attractive
to termites.

TURTLE

"Noah Vail" wrote in message
[...]

This is Turtle.

Termites don't like wood off the ground or not enclosed which will leave them
expossed to other insects or birds. If they have to go into a open space before
going back in the gound . they will not do it for it's too dangerous to do so.

A few pieces of wood on a drive way has no bearing on termites to be drown to
it.

If termites are in your area. What you do with the fire wood has very little
bearing if you keep it off the ground and the termites have to come out in the
opening to get to it. If you live in a forest your odds are very good of not
getting them for they eat moist wood and if your house wood is dry. Your not a
very good meal for them. Now after I tell you this the termites will change
their mine and start eating dry wood of your home. they will eat pine ,
hardwood, or others but one wood they don't like and that is what we call rich
liter pine. The pine trees that the old old house was made out of. If you go in
your attic and see sap dripping out of the rafters. They will not touch it. Most
houses built over 80 years ago will have this liter pine in them.

Now there is one type of termite that has hit the U.S.A. now days and started in
Florida and has been seen as far as Louisiana and they are Non-Ground type
termites and never have to go to the ground everyday to go back to the nest.
They will go to your attic and just stay there and never go back to the ground.
They fly into your attic or home and are not ground type termites. I'm not clear
on them for my bug man who sprays my house was telling me about them and he said
they have not got the pattern they like as of not to get rid of them.

I'm not a termite expert at all but i listen to my termite / Roach pest control
man. He has them pegged when keeping them out of my house and I have fire wood
everywhere around my house. He says keep it off the ground.

TURTLE

Lar

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 23:54:48 -0500, "Noah Vail"
wrote:

Now granted, you aren't supposed to store wood or have mulch close to your
house, but it is my belief is that these little pieces of wood are
absolutely and positively no danger of "attracting" termites. Heck, the
wood pile is ten steps away! Why wood... errr... would they bother with
these little bits of dry wood when they have so many other sources of moist
wood all around us? Heck... I live in the forest! sigh

Anyway... do any of you see any harm from leaving crumbs of wood... or even
a log of wood outside my back door?

The only concern would be if you kept thewood there year round. The
colony will have many spots around the yard they will feed at. The
same colony can be feeding on the wood pile, getting into your home,
feeding off of mulch in your neighbor's flowerbed and any "little"
pieces of wood they may come across.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Dancing dog is back!
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/smartdog.wmv

Norminn

clipped
will cause termites to invade our house. The only wooden part of my house
that is close to it is a painted wooden door frame.

Now granted, you aren't supposed to store wood or have mulch close to your
house, but it is my belief is that these little pieces of wood are
absolutely and positively no danger of "attracting" termites. Heck, the

They aren't like ants, following a trail of crumbs for food. The risk
is in establishing a new colony connecting to your house. The doorway
may have a teeny, tiny gap between two pieces of wood, which lets in a
little moisture and a few termites. Wood already infested which is
stored in close proximity to wood parts of the house and which blocks
the view of their entry is risky. If you need to keep it at the door,
keep it in a covered plastic tub. They don't like daylight, so don't go
crawling over your driveway looking for "scraps". They do swarm, during
mating season, and look for entry to the right conditions. Whether a
dead limb or your house in not a matter of concern. If their path
leads, unobstructed, to your house they will dine. Kind of like keeping
teenagers out of the fridge - if you block up the kitchen door, they
will open the window )

It's kind of funny to see discussion of "attracting" termites. They are
everywhere there is wood/cellulose in the outdoors and have a benefit in
nature. Just don't want them, hippos, or cobras inside the house )

wood pile is ten steps away! Why wood... errr... would they bother with
these little bits of dry wood when they have so many other sources of moist
wood all around us? Heck... I live in the forest! sigh

Anyway... do any of you see any harm from leaving crumbs of wood... or even
a log of wood outside my back door?

I doubt that crumbs are a threat. But a nice big oak with a dead limb
hanging over your shaded, not-too-healthy roof is a threat. Should keep
a clear path around the house that keeps wood, vegetation, mulch and the
soil at least 6-8" distance from any wood, and inspect inside and
outside of foundation regularly.

TIA
Noah

Norminn

clipped

Now there is one type of termite that has hit the U.S.A. now days and started in
Florida and has been seen as far as Louisiana and they are Non-Ground type
termites and never have to go to the ground everyday to go back to the nest.

Three major types of termites live here - dry-wood, damp-wood, and
subterranean. Many varieties within each group, and different varieties
in different areas of the country. Dry wood and subterranean have very
different methods of control. All have swarmers, which are mating
couples flying off to establish new colonies. Subs do the most
structural damage in Florida, and the infamous Formosans in New Orleans
are a type of sub. Dry wood terms don't need to leave the wood to get
moisture. Subs build mud tubes to get from colony in ground into your
wood; they also like entries like openings for pipes and the inside of
crawlspaces. Anyone with wood parts on their house should be familiar
with the methods of detection and prevention. We have annual
inspections, but I've never had a termite inspector ask to open the
plumbing access panel to look. I do that myself.

Our condo has had neglected areas, including an exterior panel that had
sprinklers blasting it for years. Big hole. Rotted 2x4's. Section of
1x12 with nothing left of it but the paint. Very interesting clue: they
do not eat paint.

They will go to your attic and just stay there and never go back to the ground.
They fly into your attic or home and are not ground type termites. I'm not clear
on them for my bug man who sprays my house was telling me about them and he said
they have not got the pattern they like as of not to get rid of them.

I'm not a termite expert at all but i listen to my termite / Roach pest control
man. He has them pegged when keeping them out of my house and I have fire wood
everywhere around my house. He says keep it off the ground.

TURTLE

Phisherman

wrote:

[...]

There's little concern. But to keep your S.O. happy agree to sweep up
the crumbs once in awhile. I suspect a deeper problem than wood
crumbs.
TURTLE

"Norminn" wrote in message
clipped

[...]

What is the name of the termite that lives in the attic and does not have to go
the ground to get a drink of water ? My bug man was suppose to get with me to
give me the name but he can't pronounce it and did not have his books to look it
up and forgot to call me back.

TURTLE

indago

041216 1937 - TURTLE posted:

"Norminn" wrote in message
clipped

[...]

I think his name is Mergatroyd...

Lar

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:37:33 -0600, "TURTLE"
wrote:

This is Turtle.

What is the name of the termite that lives in the attic and does not have to go
the ground to get a drink of water ? My bug man was suppose to get with me to
give me the name but he can't pronounce it and did not have his books to look it
up and forgot to call me back.

Dry wood termites. Formosan termites in their nesting habits can
live extended time out of the ground, but they are a type of
subterranean termites.