WHoME?

Default is there a difference from tv cable to my computer?

stupid question here........ i already have a cable hook up for my tv in
another bedroom of mine, i want to put my computer in there, is the cable i
already have for my pc (in another room) different from the tv cable?

if so, then i'd need to run a cable from the one from my pc to my other
bedroom (where i want to move my pc).

good gravy, i hope i wasn't too muddy. lol

WHoME?

I assume you're talking about a cable modem. It's the same.
You could extend the cable from the old PC location using a "barrel" type
connector. Or if the new location is closer to the TV use a cable

splitter.
-Graham

just so i understand you right (i'm thick headed), i can move my pc into
another room (along with my cable modem), and connect my modem up with the
cable that USED to be hooked up to a tv and my pc will work?

G. Morgan

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:32:18 -0800 "WHoME?"
used 10 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

Depends what you are trying to do.

If you want to hook up a cable modem. The cable will go from the wall
into the cable modem. Then you will use an RJ45 network cable to
connect the cable modem to the PC

If you are using a TV tuner card for a media PC, you will plug the
cable right into your Video tunner card.

Hope this helps

WHoME?

Hi,
If you're talking about cable hook up(Internet using cable modem and
TV), it's same.
Just install two way splitter and feed the PC cable modem and TV.
|- | TV
| |

cable |_ | PC cable modem

splitter

Tony

ah ha! that's it, thanks Tony :-)

G. Morgan

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:42:15 -0800 "WHoME?"
used 13 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

I assume you're talking about a cable modem. It's the same.
You could extend the cable from the old PC location using a "barrel" type
connector. Or if the new location is closer to the TV use a cable

splitter.
-Graham

just so i understand you right (i'm thick headed), i can move my pc into
another room (along with my cable modem), and connect my modem up with the
cable that USED to be hooked up to a tv and my pc will work?

That is correct. ;-))

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
RBM

All the above are correct,except for one possible glitch. The cable modem
needs a better signal to work than the TV. If the bandwidth is to low due to
multiple splitters,etc. you may need a dedicated line from the main
splitter, but it doesn't hurt to try
"WHoME?" wrote in message
news
stupid question here........ i already have a cable hook up for my tv in
another bedroom of mine, i want to put my computer in there, is the cable
already have for my pc (in another room) different from the tv cable?

if so, then i'd need to run a cable from the one from my pc to my other
bedroom (where i want to move my pc).

good gravy, i hope i wasn't too muddy. lol

WHoME?

All the above are correct,except for one possible glitch. The cable modem
needs a better signal to work than the TV. If the bandwidth is to low due

multiple splitters,etc. you may need a dedicated line from the main
splitter, but it doesn't hurt to try

it worked :-)

thanks everyone

AB

um yup and you can put a splitter on it too and have both tv and
pc....coooooooooooooool

Noozer

I assume you're talking about a cable modem. It's the same.
You could extend the cable from the old PC location using a "barrel"

type
connector. Or if the new location is closer to the TV use a cable

splitter.
-Graham

just so i understand you right (i'm thick headed), i can move my pc into
another room (along with my cable modem), and connect my modem up with the
cable that USED to be hooked up to a tv and my pc will work?

Yes, your PC will work... But your modem might not.

wayne

It sounds like you already have a cable modem in one room and want to move
it to another?
If so you may have a problem some cable companies put a filter to reduce the
possibility of interference on the side that the cable modem is not on as
the cable is usually split at the cable box for the computer and TV side.
If you don't have a cable modem now then any TV cable outlet can be used
for the computer. Don't worry about where the cable is vs. where the
computer is. With the wireless routers that are out you can pt the computer
wherever you want and the router provides greater security.

Wayne

"WHoME?" wrote in message
news
stupid question here........ i already have a cable hook up for my tv in
another bedroom of mine, i want to put my computer in there, is the cable
already have for my pc (in another room) different from the tv cable?

if so, then i'd need to run a cable from the one from my pc to my other
bedroom (where i want to move my pc).

good gravy, i hope i wasn't too muddy. lol

willshak

On 12/12/2004 7:32 PM US(ET), WHoME? took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

stupid question here........ i already have a cable hook up for my tv in
another bedroom of mine, i want to put my computer in there, is the cable i
already have for my pc (in another room) different from the tv cable?

No. You can use any TV cable outlet in the house for the cable modem.
The only problem you may have is in how the cable is routed through your
house to that room. When I signed up for my cable internet access, I
installed the modem in one bedroom. Unfortunately, that cable outlet was
near the end of the cable run and was inadequate to get a good signal
for the modem (TV worked OK, however). I moved the modem to another room
which had a more direct run to the cable splitter, and used it there for
a while until I could install another direct cable run from the splitter
to the first room. After that was done, I moved the cable modem back to
the first room. It's been there for about 3 years now, and since then, I
have installed cat5 cable to three other locations and now have 4 PCs
networked to the cable broadband.
To any one else reading this, don't even suggest that I should have used
wireless rather than hardwiring the network. I had wireless before
running the cat5. I was too lazy to run cat5 through 150 feet of walls,
ceilings, and floors, so I went with wireless. Wireless sucked in my
house. Too many walls, floors, and other interference causing factors
between the router and the adapter. I was constantly repositioning the
adapter at various and numerous times of the day to get a signal better
than Low or Very Low, and in many cases, to get any signal at all.
Dropouts were constant. Fortunately, I had a USB external adapter, so I
only had to move the adapter around rather than moving the whole PC,
which I would have had to do with a card adapter. I even had to extend
the USB cable to 12' in order to find more places in the room to get a
signal.
I lived with that for about three months before I trashed the wireless
adapter in favor of hardwire..