Jim

Default Toilet not flushing 'Hard enough"

Is there a website for troubleshooting toilets?
I'll ask here first ...maybe someone can help.
I replaced all the internal working mechanisms in my toilet that had been
flushing fine (good strong flushes) with no problems. I had to replace all
the working mechanism due to a sudden break down of a part that was no
longer available. After replacing all the guts and doing everything the
instructions said, I now have a weak flush. The water level in the tank
comes right up to where the old water level stopped at. We have to stand
and hold the lever down while watching a flush or the toilet will not
totally clear leaving a specimen for the next user to look at. Lots of times
a person has to flush twice.

So if you have some constructive sugestions i would appreciate a few
tips...If not.... a website would be fine....thanks and happy
holidays.........Jim

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Jim wrote:
Is there a website for troubleshooting toilets?
I'll ask here first ...maybe someone can help.
I replaced all the internal working mechanisms in my toilet that had been
flushing fine (good strong flushes) with no problems. I had to replace all
the working mechanism due to a sudden break down of a part that was no
longer available. After replacing all the guts and doing everything the
instructions said, I now have a weak flush. The water level in the tank
comes right up to where the old water level stopped at. We have to stand
and hold the lever down while watching a flush or the toilet will not
totally clear leaving a specimen for the next user to look at. Lots of times
a person has to flush twice.

I'm suspicious that someone didn't try to flush something they shouldn't have.
The possibility exists that there's now a blockage that needs to be cleared.
Get one of those more elaborate plumber's helpers and fill the bell with water.
Try to flip it over into the toilet without spilling it as much as possible.
Water is incompressible and the helper will have much more effect full of water
rather than air. Do this as many times as you have to until things flush like
they used to.

Waste pipes run from smaller to larger, so if you can pop the blockage free, it
will wash into a larger pipe, eliminating (pardon the pun) the problem.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

willshak

On 12/7/2004 10:56 PM US(ET), Jim took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

[...]

Try adjusting the flapper valve chain. There should be very little slack
in the chain. Too much slack and the flapper will not lift enough for
the water to rush between the flapper and hole fast enough to hold the
flapper open.

What kind of toilet is it? I had the same problem with my Eljer one
piece toilet. I had to replace the flapper but apparantly every
aftermarket flapper I purchased did not work. Once I bought the OEM
flapper, it worked fine. My flapper has a piece of styrofoam attached
to it so it can stay open longer. A plumber told me sometimes the
aftermarket stuff will not work well.

I had this same problem and it turned out to be that the places where
the water comes from at the bottom was clogged. I shipped it away with
a screwdriver and it worked much better afterwards.

Michael Baugh

Easier to accomplish by pouring white vinegar down the
overflow tube, letting it set for a few hours, then cleaning
the rim holes with a .22 caliber gun cleaning brush.

A question for the OP. What kind of flush do you get with a
5 gallon bucket of water?

And is a "disinfectant" tablet being used?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I had this same problem and it turned out to be that the places where
the water comes from at the bottom was clogged. I shipped it away with
a screwdriver and it worked much better afterwards.

frank-in-toronto

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 21:30:10 -0500, "Michael Baugh"
wrote:

And is a "disinfectant" tablet being used?

my first thought!! i learned the hard way.
who'dathunk it.
....thehick
Pelorus

Blue Goo problem perhaps----http://www.toiletology.com/blue-goo.shtml

I went through some of the same problems only to solve the problem by
ridding the tank of "blue goo." I never would have thought of it-- still
makes me chuckle a bit.

"Jim" jim wrote in message ...

[...]

Peter Bogiatzidis

Jim,