Astro

Default Cold Climate heat pump

Anybody had any experience with the Nyle "cold climate heat pump"? This is
a standard, air-source heat pump that claims effective heating down to 0F.

http://www.nyletherm.com/spaceheating.htm

Reading the blurb, it looks like it's just a two stage compressor system.
So I'd guess in their example, that what they're selling as a 3-ton unit
is something more like a 6-ton two stage which runs at 3+-tons until some
critical temperature (around 30F?) then kicks in the second stage for
extra output. Nothing revolutionary. But it does seem to get around the
standard complaint of normal heat pumps not being able to keep up with
load requirements at low temps.

The reason this caught my eye is that I'm looking at replacing a heat pump
in one of my rental properties and I'd like to put in something "eco
friendly". Geothermal is not an option, and I was planning on putting in a
high efficiency Carrier or Lennox HP or maybe a York Stealth. This Nyle
unit showed up as an added option but I'm a little loathe to get a unit
that nobody's ever heard of.

Any thoughts?
Red Neckerson

"Astro" wrote in message
newspshte04v1v1dc2q@athlon2600...
Anybody had any experience with the Nyle "cold climate heat pump"? This is
a standard, air-source heat pump that claims effective heating down to 0F.

http://www.nyletherm.com/spaceheating.htm

Maybe it's just me, but methinks it's a crock.

I don't care if you have a system with 6 compressors. You still only extract
'X' amount of heat from 0 degree air. Plus I don't see how they can claim
that it is "270% effiecient at 17 degrees".......

Joseph Meehan

Astro wrote:
Anybody had any experience with the Nyle "cold climate heat pump"? This is
a standard, air-source heat pump that claims effective heating down to 0F.

http://www.nyletherm.com/spaceheating.htm

Reading the blurb, it looks like it's just a two stage compressor system.
So I'd guess in their example, that what they're selling as a 3-ton unit
is something more like a 6-ton two stage which runs at 3+-tons until some
critical temperature (around 30F?) then kicks in the second stage for
extra output. Nothing revolutionary. But it does seem to get around the
standard complaint of normal heat pumps not being able to keep up with
load requirements at low temps.

The real design problem is not being able to keep up, but rather the
expense. The lower the design temperature the more expensive the unit and
not matter what unit you have, the greater the difference in temperature the
less efficient it will run.

The standard units available with electric resistance heating supplement
are going to be the best and cheapest (which means eco friendly) over all
cost almost all the time.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"Astro" wrote in message
[...]

Its BS...and its not a 6 ton with a dual stage comp....its a dual stage comp
alright, but the capacity is not even close to 4 tons.
You can only get a COP of so much...once that is passed, you WILL have a
form of secondary heat needed....period.

If you are looking at the Stealth, (soon to be discontinued) You might want
to spend the extra $200 and get an Affinity by York.
Lennox parts are impossible to get and Carrier designs are not static.

Gary R. Lloyd

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:01:15 -0500, "Steve@carolinabreezehvac"
wrote:

"Astro" wrote in message
[...]

Seems I recall some years back reading about a heat pump with a small
gas burner in the outdoor unit which added just enough heat to prevent
the coil from freezing in subzero temps.

I wonder whatever happened to those?

_______________________________

Liberals are thieves and dictators, unlike
conservatives who are dictators and thieves.

Steve@carolinabreezehvac

wrote:

"Astro" wrote in message
[...]

York used to have a nat gas powered heat pump...it had a Briggs and Stratton
engine that powered the compressor and the heat generated by the engine was
removed by the refrigerant and sent back into the system..
Called the Triathlon...it was a failure due to several reasons...lack of
trained installers...lack of service by owners....it just didnt fly.
It would have been great had it been marketed right....

You can get ammonia units still, Arkel, that use a gas burner for AC and
heating....but unless you want a huge fuel bill, its best to simply go with
a gas furnace.

Greg O

"Gary R. Lloyd" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:01:15 -0500, "Steve@carolinabreezehvac"

Seems I recall some years back reading about a heat pump with a small
gas burner in the outdoor unit which added just enough heat to prevent
the coil from freezing in subzero temps.

I wonder whatever happened to those?

_______________________________

Sanyo still makes a HP with a gas burner in it.
Greg

Greg O

"Astro" wrote in message
newspshte04v1v1dc2q@athlon2600...
Anybody had any experience with the Nyle "cold climate heat pump"? This is
a standard, air-source heat pump that claims effective heating down to 0F.

http://www.nyletherm.com/spaceheating.htm

I know of a couple in this area, the electric utility was pushing them at
one time. I do not know how dependable they are. We also have a cusomer that
has been trying to get one. It has been ordered for many months, but it
seems like it is lost in limbo some where.

I have a sneaking suspicion Nyles is having trouble with them and not
shipping till it gets figured out!

Myself, I would shy away for now, give them a couple more years and they may
getit figured out!
Greg

Greg O

"Astro" wrote in message
newspshte04v1v1dc2q@athlon2600...

The reason this caught my eye is that I'm looking at replacing a heat pump
in one of my rental properties and I'd like to put in something "eco
friendly". Geothermal is not an option, and I was planning on putting in a
high efficiency Carrier or Lennox HP or maybe a York Stealth. This Nyle
unit showed up as an added option but I'm a little loathe to get a unit
that nobody's ever heard of.

Any thoughts?

What kind of slum lord are you??
Most rental property owners want the cheapest piece of crap they can find,
screw the operating costs, let the renters pay the fuel bill!
Greg

Astro

:-)
I'm one of the good guys, I like to think.
my first thought was "get a cheap, 10-seer heat pump", but I realized that
would make me a complete hypocrite. I've been preaching to my friends and
family about reduced energy load, cutting out fossile fuel use and using
various solar and geothermal designs. So for me to put in a cheapo system
in my rentals would not cut it.

What's a couple months of rent in the big picture?

thanks to all for your feedback. I think I'll go with one of the high
efficiency units suggested in a previous post.

Best,

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 12:00:07 -0600, Greg O wrote:

"Astro" wrote in message
newspshte04v1v1dc2q@athlon2600...

The reason this caught my eye is that I'm looking at replacing a heat
pump
in one of my rental properties and I'd like to put in something "eco
friendly". Geothermal is not an option, and I was planning on putting
in a
high efficiency Carrier or Lennox HP or maybe a York Stealth. This Nyle
unit showed up as an added option but I'm a little loathe to get a unit
that nobody's ever heard of.

Any thoughts?

What kind of slum lord are you??
Most rental property owners want the cheapest piece of crap they can
find,
screw the operating costs, let the renters pay the fuel bill!
Greg

Stormin Mormon

Seems like if you had natural gas available, you'd get a furnace?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Gary R. Lloyd" wrote in message
Seems I recall some years back reading about a heat pump with a small
gas burner in the outdoor unit which added just enough heat to prevent
the coil from freezing in subzero temps.

I wonder whatever happened to those?

_______________________________

Liberals are thieves and dictators, unlike
conservatives who are dictators and thieves.

TURTLE

wrote:

"Astro" wrote in message
[...]

This is Turtle.

They brought the gas burner inside and called it a gas furnace.

TURTLE

Tekkie

Red Neckerson posted for all of us....

"Astro" wrote in message
newspshte04v1v1dc2q@athlon2600...
Anybody had any experience with the Nyle "cold climate heat pump"? This is
a standard, air-source heat pump that claims effective heating down to 0F.

http://www.nyletherm.com/spaceheating.htm

Maybe it's just me, but methinks it's a crock.

I don't care if you have a system with 6 compressors. You still only extract
'X' amount of heat from 0 degree air. Plus I don't see how they can claim
that it is "270% effiecient at 17 degrees".......

How does one get more than 100% efficiency out of anything?

BZZZZZZZ next perpetual motion claim.
--
Tekkie
Old Fangled

Tekkie wrote in
:

How does one get more than 100% efficiency out of anything?

Heat pumps are measured several ways, but for heating, an interesting
number if the COP, or Coefficient of Performance. Heat pumps can provide 2
to 4 BTUs of heat for every BTU of electrical energy used:

http://tva.apogee.net/res/rehpeff.asp

BZZZZZZZ next perpetual motion claim.

It's not a perpetual motion claim, nor does it break any laws of
thermodynamics. A heat pump isn't creating heat from the electrical
energy, it is merely pumping it from one place to another.
Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"Astro" wrote in message
newspshte04v1v1dc2q@athlon2600...
Anybody had any experience with the Nyle "cold climate heat pump"?

This is
a standard, air-source heat pump that claims effective heating down to

0F.

http://www.nyletherm.com/spaceheating.htm

Maybe it's just me, but methinks it's a crock.

I don't care if you have a system with 6 compressors. You still only

extract
'X' amount of heat from 0 degree air. Plus I don't see how they can

claim
that it is "270% effiecient at 17 degrees".......

How does one get more than 100% efficiency out of anything?

Heat pumps, ANY heat pumps made in the last few years, can be more than 100%
....how much heat can you get for the same buck?
Higher the outdoor temps, the higher the percentage.
How well the outdoor coil can gather heat, and how well the indoor coil can
release it...the higher the percentage.

\

BZZZZZZZ next perpetual motion claim.
--
Tekkie

Tekkie

Steve@carolinabreezehvac posted for all of us....

"Astro" wrote in message
[...]

Ok, I'll accept what you say, but I don't understand it.

--
Tekkie
Steve@carolinabreezehvac

t...

"Astro" wrote in message
[...]

Ok...then you are familiar with why heat pumps require a 2nd stage of heat
form right?

You are also familiar with the use of an outdoor stat to keep the strips, or
whatever 2nd stage is from coming on if the temps outside are high
enough...I know you have seen us talk about it in the other group.

You might also recall some conversations about an outdoor stat that will
keep the heat pump OFF if the temps drop low enough, and only run the
strips...

the lower the temps, the lower the output of the unit....higher the temps,
the higher the output of the unit..

Look up,
Coefficient of performance
HSPF ratings.

--
Tekkie

Tekkie

Steve@carolinabreezehvac posted for all of us....

Ok, I'll accept what you say, but I don't understand it.

Ok...then you are familiar with why heat pumps require a 2nd stage of heat
form right?

You are also familiar with the use of an outdoor stat to keep the strips, or
whatever 2nd stage is from coming on if the temps outside are high
enough...I know you have seen us talk about it in the other group.

You might also recall some conversations about an outdoor stat that will
keep the heat pump OFF if the temps drop low enough, and only run the
strips...

the lower the temps, the lower the output of the unit....higher the temps,
the higher the output of the unit..

Look up,
Coefficient of performance
HSPF ratings.

Thanks, Steve,

Ok, I understand what the function is of the outside stats. I will look up
your references, just having major brain block. I can't get it through my
thick skull how running a heat pump at say 50 deg & extracting the heat out
of it can be more than 100% efficient. Let me do a little more research and
thinking so I get back on track. Am I confusing efficiency with COP?
--
Tekkie
Greg O

"Tekkie" wrote in message
t...
Steve@carolinabreezehvac posted for all of us....

Thanks, Steve,

Ok, I understand what the function is of the outside stats. I will look

up
your references, just having major brain block. I can't get it through my
thick skull how running a heat pump at say 50 deg & extracting the heat

out
of it can be more than 100% efficient. Let me do a little more research

and
thinking so I get back on track. Am I confusing efficiency with COP?
--
Tekkie

How can you cool the home with 90 degree outside air? Same thing, only
backwards.

It is confusing! But as long as the money spent to get heat through a heat
pump is less per BTU than any other energy source what differance does it
make?
A heat pump will produce heat into very low temps, most will still see some
heat even as low as 50F. The problem arises when the cost to get this heat
costs more than electric resistance heat, of fossil fuel. Also it is much
harder, more costly, to recover this heat as the outdoor air temps fall.
Greg

Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Tekkie" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Its in the 40s here right now, and the electric strips havent been on
yet...and wont for a while...

Greg O

"Steve@carolinabreezehvac" wrote
in message ...

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Tekkie" wrote in message
t...
[...]

I meant to type 0F, 50F slipped in there from Tekkie's post somehow! ;-)
Greg

TEKKIE=TROLL

Tekkie writes:
Ok, I understand what the function is of the outside stats. I will look up
your references, just having major brain block. I can't get it through my
thick skull how running a heat pump at say 50 deg & extracting the heat out
of it can be more than 100% efficient. Let me do a little more research and
thinking so I get back on track. Am I confusing efficiency with COP?
--
Tekkie

You call yourself an HVAC expert but don't even have the foggiest clue
how a heat pump works even after it has been explained to you????

Kind of like an electrician thinking that a circuit breaker resetting
is magic or a plumber scratching his head at how water moves uphill in
a siphon.

I remember learning how a heat pump works back in Freshman
physics... no rocket science, just an air conditioner in reverse!

Maybe instead of filling the newsgroup with so much useless drivel and
venom, you should just slink away and learn something before talking
and posting.

You are not only a 1st degree troll, but a quack as well . God help
the poor soul who pays you to do their HVAC work. Maybe in Louisiana
you just need a pulse to get an HVAC license... (and even then you
probably had to cheat on the exam)

Tekkie

jeffy cowski posted for all of us....

Tekkie writes:
Ok, I understand what the function is of the outside stats. I will look up
your references, just having major brain block. I can't get it through my
thick skull how running a heat pump at say 50 deg & extracting the heat out
of it can be more than 100% efficient. Let me do a little more research and
thinking so I get back on track. Am I confusing efficiency with COP?
--
Tekkie

You call yourself an HVAC expert but don't even have the foggiest clue
how a heat pump works even after it has been explained to you????

Never called myself an HVAC expert. Maybe that is a large part of problem
there jessy your reading comprehension is about third grade while logic and
cognetive ability are K-.

Yes jerky, I understand how a heat pump works. Do you understand how a
search engine works-no evidence of that.

Kind of like an electrician thinking that a circuit breaker resetting
is magic or a plumber scratching his head at how water moves uphill in
a siphon.

Water is being siphoned because your lips are wrapped a tube...

I remember learning how a heat pump works back in Freshman
physics... no rocket science, just an air conditioner in reverse!

Wow a freakin genius. Guess you answered all your OWN HVAC questions you
posted. I get the impression you take the window shakers out in the winter
and turn them around, put them back in on a couple stolen milk crates;
jiffys idea of a heat pump.

Maybe instead of filling the newsgroup with so much useless drivel and
venom, you should just slink away and learn something before talking
and posting.

He he he look in ther mirror there jizzy: you fill this newsgroup with
drivel, you learn nothing, you research nothing, you are nothing.

You are not only a 1st degree troll, but a quack as well . God help
the poor soul who pays you to do their HVAC work. Maybe in Louisiana
you just need a pulse to get an HVAC license... (and even then you
probably had to cheat on the exam)

I say again for the fifth time** I don't work in HVAC. If you knew ANYTHING
about me you would know I don't live in Louisiana. Shows how little you know
there jazzy.

Now juzzy did you read my post to you concerning your need for mental health
assistance? Was the diagnosis bipolar? Not that we care...
Tekkie
blueman

\|||/
(o o)