Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lighting recommendation to replace 4 foot fluorescent tubes

I have a four foot two tube fluorescent in a finished basement room with a failed ballast. At least, I think so. I put new tubes in, they glowed orange at the end for a second but never lit.

It's an old T12 fixture with a very old ballast.

I could:

1. replace the T12 ballast with a modern electronic one

2. replace the fixture with T8 or T5

3. replace the tubes or the fixture with LED tubes. They would have to be the kind that don't use the existing ballast.

4. something else I haven't thought of

My goals are lots of light (this is my music and DIY projects room), and long life (I'm old enough to think about jobs I won't have to do again.) I don't care much about energy efficiency as all the solutions are reasonable.

Any suggestions?

These are tube fluorescents, not CFLs, but the short life of CFLs has me a little worried about LEDs. It's always the electronic driver that fails, not the light source itself. We've found at work that with some energy savings projects, when they do fail you rip them out and start over, because after a couple of years the company is out of business and you can't get parts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/9/2017 8:46 AM, TimR wrote:
[...]

Guess it depends on replacing fixture.

I had to replace one over kitchen sink but it was only 2 feet long but I
wanted similar length fixture to replace as I would have to patch
textured ceiling which is difficult. So I replaced with similar
incandescent bulb fixture. When bulbs go I have LED replacements.

I find short life of CFL's due to switching on and off frequently. They
are no good in a bathroom where you are in and out for short periods as
thermal shock apparently wears them out. Not sure this would be as bad
in LED's but if lights left on for long periods you will get optimum
lifetime for them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/9/2017 8:46 AM, TimR wrote:
I have a four foot two tube fluorescent in a finished basement room
with a failed ballast. At least, I think so. I put new tubes in,
they glowed orange at the end for a second but never lit.

It's an old T12 fixture with a very old ballast.

I could:

3. replace the tubes or the fixture with LED tubes. They would have
to be the kind that don't use the existing ballast.

I replaced one fixture with an LED. When the others go, they will be
LED also. So far, I've had good luck with LED every place I put it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

[...]

To me it would depend on how you want it to look. In my basement I
replaced with some shop lights that were the LED kind from Home Depot at
about $ 35 each. They were what appeared to be single tube LED type and
the ones that were replaced were 2 tube T12.

In a room that I did not want to replace the whole fixture, I went to
the electronic ballast and the smaller T8 (think that is the number)
tubes. The LEDs seem to expensive at this time to replace just the old
tubes. I have started going to the LED bulbs to replace the common 40
and 60 watt bulbs. The CFLs did not seem to hold up to near the
advertised life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TimR" wrote in message
I have a four foot two tube fluorescent in a finished basement room with a
failed ballast. At least, I think so. I put new tubes in, they glowed
orange at the end for a second but never lit.

It's an old T12 fixture with a very old ballast.

I could:

2. replace the fixture with T8

Fluorescents work. LEDs? Maybe but not in my experience...installed three,
two were flickering within 4-6 months, third in less than a year. They are
now gone. Maybe a bad lot but I won't be trying them again. Fluorescents
work

Posted to alt.home.repair

Look on the internet and find out how to convert it, nitwit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR writes:

[...]

LEDs are not CFLs. Not the same technology, color, or lifetime.

I recently got tired of my 4 foot fluorescents dieing every 5 years
or so, so I bought these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very happy with the result.
I did the rewire myself, but some of the less DIY types leaving reviews
brought in a repairman. Seemed dirt simple to me, and I'm happy
with the color of the light too.

I think you will find the LED tubes ideal. I did.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/9/2017 9:44 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 6/9/2017 8:46 AM, TimR wrote:
I have a four foot two tube fluorescent in a finished basement room
with a failed ballast. At least, I think so. I put new tubes in,
they glowed orange at the end for a second but never lit.

It's an old T12 fixture with a very old ballast.

I could:

3. replace the tubes or the fixture with LED tubes. They would have
to be the kind that don't use the existing ballast.

I replaced one fixture with an LED. When the others go, they will be
LED also. So far, I've had good luck with LED every place I put it.

Just don't know how much recycle on and off they will take and still use
incandescents on bathrooms. Have enough CFL's and LED's to last me a
lifetime.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/9/2017 12:42 PM, Frank wrote:
On 6/9/2017 9:44 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I replaced one fixture with an LED. When the others go, they will be
LED also. So far, I've had good luck with LED every place I put it.

Just don't know how much recycle on and off they will take and still use
incandescents on bathrooms. Have enough CFL's and LED's to last me a
lifetime.

Each of our bathrooms has 3 60W equivalent bulbs. Four years now, they
are still good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/9/2017 11:20 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"TimR" wrote in message
I have a four foot two tube fluorescent in a finished basement room with a
failed ballast. At least, I think so. I put new tubes in, they glowed
orange at the end for a second but never lit.

It's an old T12 fixture with a very old ballast.

I could:

2. replace the fixture with T8

Fluorescents work. LEDs? Maybe but not in my experience...installed three,
two were flickering within 4-6 months, third in less than a year. They are
now gone. Maybe a bad lot but I won't be trying them again. Fluorescents
work

Brand name plays a key role. Many cheaper LEDs use cheaper drivers and
thus, they will not last long. Brands such as Cree and Philips use
better drivers and can last to their advertised life span or longer. Far
too many people simply think and LED is the same as any other LED and
that's not the case. When they buy a cheaper brand and it doesn't last,
they fail to believe the hype about them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/9/2017 8:46 AM, TimR wrote:
[...]

Regardless what you do, I suggest ridding of the T12s.

I'm a advocate for LEDs and that would be my final suggestion. THere are
a greater selection of light outputs and color with LEDs allowing you to
choose what you like for your basement. You can easily purchase 4 foot
LED lamps, remove the ballast and hardwire directly to power and be
done. Some LEDs now offer a direct plug and play with T8 ballasts but
they cost a bit more and in your case, you'd need a T8 ballast but that
would defeat the purpose.

You may be able to find cheaper LED fixtures but you'll get what you
paid for. Cheaper LEDs mean cheaper parts and mainly, the drive which is
the heart of the LED. Therefore, it is easiest to insert LED lamps in
existing fixture and remove ballast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TimR" wrote in message
[...]

The 4 LED tubes I installed aren't flickering they are working great.
Got them Jan 11, installed them right away and they are still perfect.
So, 6 months, no issues.
Florescent bulbs were never so trouble free.
Can't say anything about other brands, these Jasoren are fine.
I always read the Amazon reviews. No one else reported any other
problems.

One interesting thing for me, flourescent tubes are powered by
running electricity from one end of the tube to the other.
The LED tubes only need power at one end. My fixture had one
tube holder that wasn't in good shape, I considered replacing
the holder but then I thought, all it has to do is hold the tube
in, it doesn't have to make any electrical contact. So, just
avoided using the one holder that was dodgy for power.
Worked fine.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR wrote:

I have a four foot two tube fluorescent in a finished basement room with a failed ballast. At least, I think so. I put new tubes in, they glowed orange at the end for a second but never lit. ...

LED shop lights, tons of light for 42watts
about $35 each at your favorite big box store.

we replaced several old (almost 20yrs out of
them) CFL shop lights that we use for reflected
light off the white painted ceiling. very nice
and bright (don't look directly at them).

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/9/2017 2:33 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/9/2017 12:42 PM, Frank wrote:
On 6/9/2017 9:44 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I replaced one fixture with an LED. When the others go, they will be
LED also. So far, I've had good luck with LED every place I put it.

Just don't know how much recycle on and off they will take and still
use incandescents on bathrooms. Have enough CFL's and LED's to last
me a lifetime.

Each of our bathrooms has 3 60W equivalent bulbs. Four years now, they
are still good.

Good to know.

Might mention in thread, I wanted to replace funny based halogen bulbs
in range hood but noted there would be a color difference and wife might
object. I had bought some CFL's years ago that light was too white for
indoors and they now reside outside as porch lights. I also noticed a
lot of CFL's emit an annoying hum.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Update:

Direct wire (no ballast) LED T8s were on sale half price, for $15 I got two..

Rewiring was a 5 minute job because the T12s were Rapid Start so the tombstones already had unshunted contacts. (I didn't know that until I took them apart and looked, and checked each one with a meter, so it took longer than 5 minutes, but it COULD have been a 5 minute job).

The new lights look fine and they are much quieter, no annoying buzz.

How long they will last is another story, I'm skeptical, but they claim a 5 year warranty.