DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Flue Damper on double-wall chimney pipe?? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/78031-flue-damper-double-wall-chimney-pipe.html)

[email protected] November 21st 04 11:58 PM

Flue Damper on double-wall chimney pipe??

I'm connecting a woodstove to a DuraVent triple-wall chimney using the
double wall duravent pipe from the stove to the thimble in the ceiling.

But nothing in the instruct, pictures, etc makes any mention 9of
where/how to install a flue damper in this pipe. You know ... the
handle on the pipe you turn to control the draft through the chimney.
Do I just drill it like normal single wall pipe? Is there some sort of
adaptor section for this? Of course the dealer I bought it from is
closed on Sundays :/
Thanks
Eric

willshak November 22nd 04 10:07 AM

On 11/22/2004 6:51 AM US(ET), Nick Hull took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

In article ,
wrote:

I'm connecting a woodstove to a DuraVent triple-wall chimney using the
double wall duravent pipe from the stove to the thimble in the ceiling.

But nothing in the instruct, pictures, etc makes any mention 9of
where/how to install a flue damper in this pipe. You know ... the
handle on the pipe you turn to control the draft through the chimney.
Do I just drill it like normal single wall pipe? Is there some sort of
adaptor section for this? Of course the dealer I bought it from is
closed on Sundays :/
Thanks
Eric

Why are you using insulated pipe between the stove & ceiling when you
can get lots of free heat from an uninsulated single wall section?

Probably because it is required by code in many jurisdictions.

Nick Hull November 22nd 04 12:51 PM

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

[email protected] November 22nd 04 03:30 PM

Nick Hull wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

I'm connecting a woodstove to a DuraVent triple-wall chimney using the
double wall duravent pipe from the stove to the thimble in the ceiling.

But nothing in the instruct, pictures, etc makes any mention 9of
where/how to install a flue damper in this pipe. You know ... the
handle on the pipe you turn to control the draft through the chimney.
Do I just drill it like normal single wall pipe? Is there some sort of
adaptor section for this? Of course the dealer I bought it from is
closed on Sundays :/
Thanks
Eric

Why are you using insulated pipe between the stove & ceiling when you
can get lots of free heat from an uninsulated single wall section?

You need 18" clearance from single-wall pipe, and I don't have it. Only
need 6" with the double wall.

Nick Hull November 24th 04 12:09 AM

In article ,
wrote:

Nick Hull wrote:
In article ,

wrote:

I'm connecting a woodstove to a DuraVent triple-wall chimney using the
double wall duravent pipe from the stove to the thimble in the ceiling.

But nothing in the instruct, pictures, etc makes any mention 9of
where/how to install a flue damper in this pipe. You know ... the
handle on the pipe you turn to control the draft through the chimney.
Do I just drill it like normal single wall pipe? Is there some sort of
adaptor section for this? Of course the dealer I bought it from is
closed on Sundays :/
Thanks
Eric

Why are you using insulated pipe between the stove & ceiling when you
can get lots of free heat from an uninsulated single wall section?

You need 18" clearance from single-wall pipe, and I don't have it. Only
need 6" with the double wall.

Sometimes you can put up a metal section and still meet code with a
single wall.

Harry K November 25th 04 04:33 AM

wrote in message ...
I'm connecting a woodstove to a DuraVent triple-wall chimney using the
double wall duravent pipe from the stove to the thimble in the ceiling.

But nothing in the instruct, pictures, etc makes any mention 9of
where/how to install a flue damper in this pipe. You know ... the
handle on the pipe you turn to control the draft through the chimney.
Do I just drill it like normal single wall pipe? Is there some sort of
adaptor section for this? Of course the dealer I bought it from is
closed on Sundays :/
Thanks
Eric

No-one seems to have answered your question. The answer AFAIK is you
do not use a flue damper with an airtight stove, you control the draft
with the stove controls. Your stove is almost assuredly an airtight.

Harry K

John Galbreath Jr. November 26th 04 05:51 PM

Look here on my commercial site:

http://www.FireLogs.com/DuraVentBlackPipe.htm

Part number is 8679 (6") or 8879 (8"). Both are in stock and I can ship
immediately.