Joe

Default New roof shingles: Remove thin plastic strips on back of shingles before nailing down?

Putting on new shingles - IKO brand, Chateau type, single (1) tab,
architectural or "designer" style, 100% asphalt (not fiberglass).

On the back of each shingle is 3 strips (running the full length of
the shingle) near the top, the bottom, and the center. The strips are
some sort of shiny black tar, about 1" wide (but not very thick). Two
of these strips are solid, and one is intermittent (like a dashed line
- - -).

The two solid strips are covered by what seems like a very thin,
transparent release strip made of plastic. This strip resembles
"saran wrap" except it's more "crinkly" when you peel it off and
handle it.

These black tar strips seem to function as a way to bond or seal the
shingles together once they're nailed down and have been heated by the
sun. The release strip would function to prevent the shingles from
bonding to each other while bundled.

What I don't understand is that roofers don't seem to peel the release
strips off the shingles before they nail them down (I admit that it
seems to take as much time to pick away and peel these release strips
off the shingles as it does to nail the shingles down).

So, if the purpose of the black tar strips is to help the layers stick
to each other, then how can the tar strips function if the release
strips are NOT removed from each shingle?

The instructions, diagrams, and warnings printed on the wrappers of
the shingles say nothing about the black tar strip or the membrane
strip that covers them.

Should I peel these strips off before the roofers nail them down?
Travis Jordan

Joe wrote:
[...]

Joe, Joe, Joe... you gotta learn how to use Google for these kinds of
questions.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...release+strips

Cal

"Joe" wrote
Should I peel these strips off before the roofers nail them down?

Yes, if you want to void the warranty and **** the roofers off.
Cliff Hartle

The strips are there to make sure the shingles don't seal to one and other
in the bundle.

The stripes underneath the shingle line up with the strips of tar on the top
of the shingle in the bundle. The tar on top of the shingle is what is to
bond to the bottom of the row above it.

On allot of shingles "DO NOT REMOVE" is printed on the strip. For some
reason they don't want the bottom of the shingle sticking to the tar paper.

"Joe" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Nehmo Sergheyev

- Cliff Hartle -
On allot of shingles "DO NOT REMOVE" is printed on the strip. For some
reason they don't want the bottom of the shingle sticking to the tar

paper.

- Nehmo -
It wouldn't hurt anything if a shingle stuck to the underlayment . It's
already nailed or stapled to it. The "DO NOT..." is just a simple way of
saying "It's not necessary to and you wouldn't accomplish anything if
you did..."

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

Tom

Nehmo wrote:It wouldn't hurt anything if a shingle stuck to the underlayment .
It's
already nailed or stapled to it. The "DO NOT..." is just a simple way of
saying "It's not necessary to and you wouldn't accomplish anything if
you did..."

Good answer! Tom
Work at your leisure!
thunder

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 03:30:27 +0000, Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:

- Cliff Hartle -
On allot of shingles "DO NOT REMOVE" is printed on the strip. For some
reason they don't want the bottom of the shingle sticking to the tar

paper.

- Nehmo -
It wouldn't hurt anything if a shingle stuck to the underlayment . It's
already nailed or stapled to it. The "DO NOT..." is just a simple way of
saying "It's not necessary to and you wouldn't accomplish anything if you
did..."

Not exactly true. That plastic strip also happens to be the nail line, at
least in three tabs. Some manufacturers think it provides a little extra
nail holding capability.

Nehmo Sergheyev

- Nehmo -
It wouldn't hurt anything if a shingle stuck to the underlayment .

It's
already nailed or stapled to it. The "DO NOT..." is just a simple

way of
saying "It's not necessary to and you wouldn't accomplish anything

if you
did..."

- thunder -
Not exactly true. That plastic strip also happens to be the nail

line, at
least in three tabs. Some manufacturers think it provides a little

extra
nail holding capability.

- Nehmo -
The plastic strip is flimsy, and it's on the bottom of the shingle.

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

Lee Bray

Hi John

After reading all of this I am still confused. The shingles that I
just finished installing on my shop roof had those strips also. But we
did strip them off as I understood it would make the shingles adhere
better. Between the substance on top and bottom of the shingles I would
think make the shingle adhere better to the roof surface. If not needed
why would the manufacture it that way as they could save money by not
even putting the substance on it at all. The substance appears to be
the same top and bottom of the shingle. I would imagine most roofers
would not waste their time stripping the stuff off as it would consume
too much time.

BTW I am not a roofer either but try to learn from the newsgroups so
this is just my personal opinion not one of an experienced roofer. I
figure it could not hurt so I removed all of the tape prior to installation.

Lee

John Willis wrote:

Those strips are there not to cover up anything that is underneath
them, but if you look carefully, they are positioned such that when
the shingles are in their packaging the strips are over the factory
applied sealant and they keep that from sticking the shingles
together.

To repeat what others have said, it is not necessary to remove those
strips. If you feel compelled, I suppose it will do no harm, but then
again you will gain nothing by doing so. I suppose everyone needs a
hobby, which is what you will have if you insist on removing them!:~)

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

willshak

On 11/22/2004 9:23 AM US(ET), Lee Bray took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

[...]

All the manufacturers say that it is not necessary because the adhesive
used will stick through the strips (perhaps after being baked in the
sun). The only reason for the strips is to prevent the shingles from
sticking to each other while packaged. I suppose that if you left the
package out in the sun for a long period, they could stick to each other
in the package, but, not being a roofer, I have no knowledge or proof of
this.

Lee

John Willis wrote:

Those strips are there not to cover up anything that is underneath
them, but if you look carefully, they are positioned such that when
the shingles are in their packaging the strips are over the factory
applied sealant and they keep that from sticking the shingles
together.

To repeat what others have said, it is not necessary to remove those
strips. If you feel compelled, I suppose it will do no harm, but then
again you will gain nothing by doing so. I suppose everyone needs a
hobby, which is what you will have if you insist on removing them!:~)

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

Harry K

thunder wrote in message ...
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 03:30:27 +0000, Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:

- Cliff Hartle -
On allot of shingles "DO NOT REMOVE" is printed on the strip. For some
reason they don't want the bottom of the shingle sticking to the tar

paper.

- Nehmo -
It wouldn't hurt anything if a shingle stuck to the underlayment . It's
already nailed or stapled to it. The "DO NOT..." is just a simple way of
saying "It's not necessary to and you wouldn't accomplish anything if you
did..."

Not exactly true. That plastic strip also happens to be the nail line, at
least in three tabs. Some manufacturers think it provides a little extra
nail holding capability.

Have a cite for that? How would it add any holding capability as the
holding capability is in the wood deck, not the shingle. That thin
strip will also not add anything to keep the nail from pulling through
the shingle.

Harry K
Robert Allison

Lee Bray wrote:

[...]

Let me give this a try. The strip is there to prevent the asphalt
sealant on the shingle underneath this shingle to NOT adhere to it
while in the bundle. The strip has nothing under it. It is a
shield against the sealant on the other shingles.

John Willis wrote:

Those strips are there not to cover up anything that is underneath
them, but if you look carefully, they are positioned such that when
the shingles are in their packaging the strips are over the factory
applied sealant and they keep that from sticking the shingles
together.

To repeat what others have said, it is not necessary to remove those
strips. If you feel compelled, I suppose it will do no harm, but then
again you will gain nothing by doing so. I suppose everyone needs a
hobby, which is what you will have if you insist on removing them!:~)

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Georgetown, TX
Nehmo Sergheyev

- Joe -
But getting back to the IKO answer above - it doesn't explain what
these strips are covering up.

Their logic is that the tape is there to keep the shingles from
sticking to each other. Which means that what-ever is UNDER the tape
is sticky and shouldn't come into contact with other shingles while
bundled. So why put this stuff on the shingles in the first place?

- Nehmo -
Picture the shingle correctly oriented with the granular surface up.
What's UNDER the tape on the bottom of the shingle is the next shingle.
While in a package, the tape is above the adhesive spots of the next
shingle. While installed on the roof, the tape is above a part of the
next shingle where there is no adhesive because each shingle is offset
from the next shingle. Thus, the tape serves a function while the
shingle is in a package, but serves no function after the shingle is
installed.

The *other* adhesive on the bottom of a shingle that holds the tape on
only does that.

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

John Willis

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:46:09 -0500, willshak
scribbled this interesting note:

All the manufacturers say that it is not necessary because the adhesive
used will stick through the strips (perhaps after being baked in the
sun).

No it doesn't. After tearing off thousands upon thousands of roofs in
the North Texas area, with the extreme summer heat we can get here,
I've never seen any shingle with these plastic strips (some
manufacturers still use paper strips. In point of fact, earlier
shingles all used paper in this area as opposed to plastic) that has
sealed through the plastic. Not one.

The plastic strips are ONLY there to prevent the shingles from
sticking together while packaged. There is no other reason for them
and they serve no other purpose whatsoever. Removing them is only
something you need to do if you feel compelled to do so or are in
search of a hobby!:~)

The adhesive that seals the shingles together is positioned, on every
shingle I've ever seen that had sealant on it, such that it adheres to
the lower portion of the shingle above or below it. Some manufacturers
place the sealant on the middle portion of the front of the shingle,
some position it on the lower portion of the back of the shingle.
Those little troublesome pieces of plastic only serve to keep the
shingles from adhering to each other while still packaged up. To be
crystal clear, these plastic strips serve no other purpose and the
adhesive under them serves no other purpose than to keep the strips in
place. None. At all.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Lee Bray

Hi Robert

I don't know what kind of shingles you are using but the plastic
strip covers the same blobs of sealant that is on the other side of the
shingle here in Florida. I can understand it is a preventative for sure
as here in Florida the heat would bond them together but if you take the
strip off there is the same bonding agent under the tape or at least the
ones I bought!

Lee

Robert Allison wrote:

Let me give this a try. The strip is there to prevent the asphalt
sealant on the shingle underneath this shingle to NOT adhere to it
while in the bundle. The strip has nothing under it. It is a
shield against the sealant on the other shingles.

John Willis

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 02:24:55 -0500, thunder
scribbled this interesting note:

Not exactly true. That plastic strip also happens to be the nail line, at
least in three tabs.

One reason to nail where the manufacturer says is so you are nailing
not only through the shingle you are currently working with, but also
through the top of the shingle below it-think of it as a kind of
double protection. Another reason is that if wind does get under a
shingle, you want the nails as low as you can get them and still have
them water proof since the more surface area the wind can grab the
more likely it is to remove a shingle for you.

The plastic strips serve no other purpose than the keep the shingles
from sticking together while packaged up. No other reason at all.
None. I've never seen any statement from any shingle manufacturer
we've worked with in over twenty five years of working with roofing
materials that says otherwise.

Of course I could be mistaken, just sharing what I've seen while on
the job, while reading web sites, what I've seen in warranty
statements, etc.
--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Grandpa Koca

Lee Bray wrote:
Hi Robert

I don't know what kind of shingles you are using but the plastic
strip covers the same blobs of sealant that is on the other side of the
shingle here in Florida. I can understand it is a preventative for sure
as here in Florida the heat would bond them together but if you take the
strip off there is the same bonding agent under the tape or at least the
ones I bought!

Lee

And why wouldn't there be? I mean from a manufacturing standpoint, why
stock two different types of adhesives when only one will do? The
important part of the adhesive is on the top of the shingle, in the
package stack, even if there was no adhesive on the bottom, they would
stick together due to heat a pressure. One way is to put paper between
each shingle, but that's too wasteful nowadays. The plastic strip needs
to be held in place on the bottom of the shingle, so they just use the
same adhesive to hold it there.

--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD of 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked. It is price
competitive. If you like, I'll trade for one of yours.
Cal

"John Willis" wrote
The plastic strips are ONLY there to prevent the shingles from
sticking together while packaged. There is no other reason for them
and they serve no other purpose whatsoever.

I think you know better than this John. If the OP felt compelled to remove
the strips, then stack them back up. They would still stick together while
out of the package.

Can you imagine going to a job, to find out a HomeOwner did this? Would you
be livid or what?

John Willis

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:56:07 GMT, "Cal" scribbled
this interesting note:

"John Willis" wrote
The plastic strips are ONLY there to prevent the shingles from
sticking together while packaged. There is no other reason for them
and they serve no other purpose whatsoever.

I think you know better than this John. If the OP felt compelled to remove
the strips, then stack them back up. They would still stick together while
out of the package.

Can you imagine going to a job, to find out a HomeOwner did this? Would you
be livid or what?

Must have been a pretty small job...

Doing this to even just one pallet of shingles would take more than a
day. Doing it to two, three, or more pallets? Like I said, this fellow
must be in search of a new hobby!:~)

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
R&D

On one of the IKO web pages there is a description on how shingles are made.
From what I understand, the plastic is applied to the back of each shingle
so that it does not stick to the machine that is making them. Therefore, I
conclude that the shingles are probably being propelled between two rollers,
one on top and bottom. The one on top applies the tar to the shingle, but
as the shingle moves off the rollers the tar from the top roller can get on
the bottom one. This causes tar to get on the bottom of the shingle and the
plastic is applied to prevent the tar from getting on the other parts of the
machine and stops the shingles from sticking. Seems reasonable to me
anyway. Cheers, R
"Nehmo Sergheyev" wrote in message
news
[...]

Tom

Sigh....
Work at your leisure!
Nehmo Sergheyev

- R&D -
On one of the IKO web pages there is a description on how shingles are

made.

- Nehmo -
Please link.

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to willshak, Stephanperi49 wrote:
I had shingles sitting the the sun for years and finally used them.. They were
not stuck together even aftet all that time.. So i do think that they also
serve for that purpose..

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...sh-569529-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Has anything changed in the 12 years since the OP?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 7 May 2016 08:33:16 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Has anything changed in the 12 years since the OP?

Yes
Google started giving people a portal to 12 year old posts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 7, 2016 at 11:35:14 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 7 May 2016 08:33:16 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Has anything changed in the 12 years since the OP?

Yes
Google started giving people a portal to 12 year old posts.

The poster came from the HomeOwnersHub portal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 7 May 2016 08:43:42 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Saturday, May 7, 2016 at 11:35:14 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 7 May 2016 08:33:16 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Has anything changed in the 12 years since the OP?

Yes
Google started giving people a portal to 12 year old posts.

The poster came from the HomeOwnersHub portal.

Isn't that a google spawn?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/7/2016 11:33 AM, wrote:
Has anything changed in the 12 years since the OP?

More Mexican roofers in the USA.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/7/2016 11:43 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, May 7, 2016 at 11:35:14 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 7 May 2016 08:33:16 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Has anything changed in the 12 years since the OP?

Yes
Google started giving people a portal to 12 year old posts.

The poster came from the HomeOwnersHub portal.

Most likely reading off Google archives?

See you all in twelve years.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Saturday, May 7, 2016 at 11:35:14 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 7 May 2016 08:33:16 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Has anything changed in the 12 years since the OP?

Yes
Google started giving people a portal to 12 year old posts.

The poster came from the HomeOwnersHub portal.

Isn't that a google spawn?

I see no evidence that it's part of Google or has anything to do with
Google. Just looks like a web portal that someone set up on their own.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/7/2016 3:27 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 7 May 2016 11:22:05 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

Give me a bank account number and I'll wire you your $.00001 fee.

Oh joy. I'll be waiting when the bank opens, with bells on, kicking
up boots, shootin' pistols on the air.

In today's climate, that is likely to result
in minimum of 72 hour mental hygiene arrest,
and more likely 15 to 30 years for bank
robbery.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to John Willis, Scott wrote:
If your slow then yeah... Lazy people these days I swear. I did my 2 car
detached garage in one day and I peeled off all of the tape.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...sh-569529-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

The tape on shingles is not meant to be removed. Read the instructions.

Painting roof shingles twfsa Home Repair 3 October 23rd 04 01:33 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 22nd 04 12:58 AM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 03:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 03:43 PM
Plastic strip on the back of Shingles... Abdullah Eyles UK diy 2 November 24th 03 10:11 PM