Furnace Kicks On and Off and On and...

Old November 21st 04, 07:03 PM
Fleemo

Default Furnace Kicks On and Off and On and...

While working in the garage yesterday, I noticed that my furnace is
cycling on and off *constantly*. I hear the gas jets kick on and they
burn for about 15 seconds, then shut off. About 30 seconds later it
repeats the process, over and over and over again. Only occasionally
did the blower kick on where hot air was pushed through the house.

I don't know a dang thing about furnaces, but this can't be normal
functioning of the furnace, can it?

-F
Old November 21st 04, 08:55 PM
mwlogs

Nope. Not normal. If you know nothing of furnace repairs call a reputable
repair company. It could be one of several things, but most likely a bada
thermo-couple fo some sort that is causing the burner to shut down before
the blower comes on. I'd get it looked into before the really cold weather
hits!

om...

Old November 21st 04, 09:22 PM
Travis Jordan

Fleemo wrote:
While working in the garage yesterday, I noticed that my furnace is
cycling on and off *constantly*. I hear the gas jets kick on and they
burn for about 15 seconds, then shut off. About 30 seconds later it
repeats the process, over and over and over again. Only occasionally
did the blower kick on where hot air was pushed through the house.

I don't know a dang thing about furnaces, but this can't be normal
functioning of the furnace, can it?

Nope, definitely not normal. Could be a number of things (bad flame sensor
among them).

Here is some troubleshooting help -- however, gas isn't something for the
untrained DIYer to mess with. I'd recommend you call a professional.

http://toad.net/~jsmeenen/gasvalve.html

Old November 21st 04, 09:44 PM
Tony Hwang

Fleemo wrote:
While working in the garage yesterday, I noticed that my furnace is
cycling on and off *constantly*. I hear the gas jets kick on and they
burn for about 15 seconds, then shut off. About 30 seconds later it
repeats the process, over and over and over again. Only occasionally
did the blower kick on where hot air was pushed through the house.

I don't know a dang thing about furnaces, but this can't be normal
functioning of the furnace, can it?

-F

Hi,
How about starting with your furnace model?
Tony
Old November 21st 04, 11:39 PM
Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
While working in the garage yesterday, I noticed that my furnace is
cycling on and off *constantly*. I hear the gas jets kick on and they
burn for about 15 seconds, then shut off. About 30 seconds later it
repeats the process, over and over and over again. Only occasionally
did the blower kick on where hot air was pushed through the house.

I don't know a dang thing about furnaces, but this can't be normal
functioning of the furnace, can it?

-F

Not enough info to even begin to tell you where to look, but as others have
suggested, if you are not familiar with the operation and sequence of proper
events, call a company, and make sure they are licenced and insured.

Old November 22nd 04, 11:10 AM
Gary R. Lloyd

On 22 Nov 2004 09:48:25 GMT, TaskProperties
wrote:

(Fleemo) wrote in
. com:

While working in the garage yesterday, I noticed that my furnace is
cycling on and off *constantly*. I hear the gas jets kick on and they
burn for about 15 seconds, then shut off. About 30 seconds later it
repeats the process, over and over and over again. Only occasionally
did the blower kick on where hot air was pushed through the house.

I don't know a dang thing about furnaces, but this can't be normal
functioning of the furnace, can it?

-F

Mine was doing that. It was the thermostat doing it.

There is a long list of possible causes. The least likely of all of
these is the thermostat.

Gary R. Lloyd CMS
HVACR Troubleshooting Books/Software
http://www.techmethod.com

Old November 22nd 04, 12:35 PM
indago

041121 1403 - Fleemo posted:

While working in the garage yesterday, I noticed that my furnace is
cycling on and off *constantly*. I hear the gas jets kick on and they
burn for about 15 seconds, then shut off. About 30 seconds later it
repeats the process, over and over and over again. Only occasionally
did the blower kick on where hot air was pushed through the house.

I don't know a dang thing about furnaces, but this can't be normal
functioning of the furnace, can it?

In general, there are two limit switches in the furnace plenum: the fan
limit, and the gas solenoid high heat limit. It is obvious, in your case,
that the fan limit is set too high and the heat in the plenum is rising
above this setting to a point that the gas valve high limit is tripping the
gas valve closed. When it cools, it turns the gas valve back on again and
this cycle repeats. Find the fan limit and set it lower, maybe around 140
degrees and see if that will make a difference. From your description, it
is obviously not the room thermostat. If you cannot change the settings on
the fan limit switch, maybe it is broken and needs replacing.

Old November 22nd 04, 01:53 PM
Stormin Mormon

Hmm. If you rectifier, that mean you put it out? (say it slow: Wrecked the
fire)

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeatMan" wrote in message
. ..
Maybe a flame rectification problem....

om...

Old November 22nd 04, 11:49 PM
HeatMan

Boy, you ain't got a clue.

If you were truing to be funny, you missed.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Hmm. If you rectifier, that mean you put it out? (say it slow: Wrecked the
fire)

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus