Dennis Ballance

Default Kenmore oven won't shut off

I have a Kenmore electric range (really a Whirlpool). Today while
baking something, the top heater element in the oven basically went
into broil mode, staying energized. I could not shut it off, even
after pressing the "Cancel" button (although the display indicated the
oven was off). Eventually I got a "E2 F3" error, which appears to be a
"oven too hot" warning (solution = replace thermal sensor) according
to http://www.american-appliance.com/se...ault_codes.htm.

Ultimately, I had to turn off the circuit breaker (and if I turn it
back on, the element comes back on again!).

It sounds to me like a bad control element, rather than a thermal
sensor problem (i.e., the thermal sensor was doing its job when the
oven got too hot). Of course, I have to wait about a week to get a
repair tech out. Any DIY solutions come to mind?

Thanks!

--Dennis
Charles Spitzer

"Dennis Ballance" wrote in message
om...
[...]

pull out the element. it should just plug in somewhere. of course you lose
the broiler, but that's why god invented propane grills.

John Harlow

It sounds to me like a bad control element, rather than a thermal
sensor problem (i.e., the thermal sensor was doing its job when the
oven got too hot). Of course, I have to wait about a week to get a
repair tech out. Any DIY solutions come to mind?

I assume this has electronic controls; my guess is the driver SCR or
whatever semiconductor has shorted. IF you can get to it, determine it's
bad (very low ohm reading across it on multimeter), and find a cross
reference part number, I'd bet it'd cost less than $5 to fix. But that's a
lot of IFs

Travis Jordan

Dennis Ballance wrote:
I have a Kenmore electric range (really a Whirlpool). Today while
baking something, the top heater element in the oven basically went
into broil mode, staying energized. I could not shut it off, even
after pressing the "Cancel" button (although the display indicated the
oven was off). Eventually I got a "E2 F3" error, which appears to be a
"oven too hot" warning (solution = replace thermal sensor) according

http://www.american-appliance.com/se...ault_codes.htm.

Ultimately, I had to turn off the circuit breaker (and if I turn it
back on, the element comes back on again!).

It sounds to me like a bad control element, rather than a thermal
sensor problem (i.e., the thermal sensor was doing its job when the
oven got too hot). Of course, I have to wait about a week to get a
repair tech out. Any DIY solutions come to mind?

Sounds like an open thermal sensor to me. A common failure.

jeff

(Dennis Ballance) wrote in message . com...

Hi,

I have a Kenmore electric range (really a Whirlpool).

Model#??

Today while
baking something, the top heater element in the oven basically went
into broil mode, staying energized. I could not shut it off, even
after pressing the "Cancel" button (although the display indicated the
oven was off). Eventually I got a "E2 F3" error, which appears to be a
"oven too hot" warning (solution = replace thermal sensor) according
http://www.american-appliance.com/se...ault_codes.htm.

Ultimately, I had to turn off the circuit breaker (and if I turn it
back on, the element comes back on again!).

It sounds to me like a bad control element, rather than a thermal
sensor problem (i.e., the thermal sensor was doing its job when the
oven got too hot). Of course, I have to wait about a week to get a
repair tech out. Any DIY solutions come to mind?

Certainly *sounds* like a bad control or possibly a melted wire
bypassing the control....but we may learn more once we see what
style/model yours is.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Well..here's the skinny. I had two problems. The broiler element had a
short, which is why it would come on as soon as power was applied. But
that short was probably secondary to a relay failure on the control
board, which would "stick" in a closed position once it was closed
(meaning, the broiler wouldn't shut off after the preheat phase). It
would open after power was removed from the stove. But it did make for
an interesting diagnostic challenge, as I thought I had the problem
fixed when I replaced the broiler.

Thanks for the tips!

--Dennis