Lee Bray

Default Question regarding roofing felt and drip cap!!

I am outside now stripping the roof of shingles. Question came to mind
is the drip cap installed first and then the felt laid over or the other
way around. Reason for asking is as I stripped the roof the first
couple of rows of felt the felt was underneath and the last ones the
felt is over the drip cap, which is right? Thanks for any assistance.
Of course the felt would be easier to trim if over drip cap. I just
want to do it right, figure it is the last time I will ever need it at
my advanced age! Not to confident hanging on a roof.

Lee
Joe Bobst

first couple of rows of felt the felt was underneath and the last ones the
felt is over the drip cap, which is right?

If you get a leak (Heaven forbid) you don't want the water to run under the
drip edge and down the fascia. So lay the felt over the drip edge the easy way
and nobody's going to see it anyway.
And be careful up there. Good luck.

Joe

Lee Bray

OK Thanks Joe

Probably another dumb question, as I have stripped one side of the
roof of shingles the paper (felt) looks OK other than the holes from the
roofing nails, after I clean up the nails and ready it for new felt is
there anything wrong with leaving the old paper up there and laying the
new felt over it? or should I just take it to bare wood? As I laid the
new felt I thought I would take out the old felt nails as I went just to
make it a little cleaner this is a roof of about 26 x 22 feet (my junk
shop). I sort of thought it might save time? But then since I don't
know for sure figured I could ask! Thanks again Joe for the speedy
response. At 65 I am no longer as agile as I used to be but here in
Florida roofing crews are way behind and will be lucky to get a roofer
in 2 years.

Lee

Joe Bobst wrote:

first couple of rows of felt the felt was underneath and the last ones the
felt is over the drip cap, which is right?

If you get a leak (Heaven forbid) you don't want the water to run under the
drip edge and down the fascia. So lay the felt over the drip edge the easy way
and nobody's going to see it anyway.
And be careful up there. Good luck.

Joe

Eric Tonks

How did you get the old shingles off without pulling the felt off with them?
I would have ripped it all off to get a good flat surface to work on, and to
check the decking for problems before starting with the new.

Joe Bobst wrote:

first couple of rows of felt the felt was underneath and the last

ones the
felt is over the drip cap, which is right?

If you get a leak (Heaven forbid) you don't want the water to run under

the
drip edge and down the fascia. So lay the felt over the drip edge the

easy way
and nobody's going to see it anyway.
And be careful up there. Good luck.

Joe

Lee Bray

Hi Eric

All I did was shove a flat blade shovel underneath the shingles and
pry up and off the shingles
came and the Felt more or less stayed. Looks generally good but will
follow advice and pull it
all up then. It is just in a shop and I can see all the wood from
inside. Rafters and plywood no
insulation or nothing else. Thanks for the reply!!

Lee

Eric Tonks wrote:

How did you get the old shingles off without pulling the felt off with them?
I would have ripped it all off to get a good flat surface to work on, and to
check the decking for problems before starting with the new.

Dan

Eric Tonks wrote:

How did you get the old shingles off without pulling the felt off with them?
I would have ripped it all off to get a good flat surface to work on, and to
check the decking for problems before starting with the new.

Actually, the felt should be under the drip on the rakes and under on
the eaves. You always want the water to be on top of something
besides the sheathing. It probably wont really make a difference,
though.

Dan