Dave Solly

Default ? about paint and drywall mud

I'm just about finished striping the wallpaper from our kitchen wall. We
want to texture the wall and paint it. I thought I saw on some TV show
someone adding the paint to the drywall mud, and therefore skipped the
steps of priming and painting. The added benefit would be that if a spot
got chipped, you wouldn't have a white spot.

Anyone know how to do this? Do you use powered drywall and mix the paint
in, or can you do it with ready mixed drywall mud?

Thanks.

Dave

m Ransley

First you dont know if there was any grease on the walls before it was
papered, so prime it. adding mud to paint probably wont look finished
and it will need repainting to get an even color. Prime and use texture
paint. Kitchens need good prep because cooking leaves residue on walls.

John Hines

Dave Solly wrote:

Anyone know how to do this? Do you use powered drywall and mix the paint
in, or can you do it with ready mixed drywall mud?

You have to seal up the mud once it dries, or it will turn back to mud
if it gets wet.

I don't think you could put in enough paint to seal it, w/o affecting
the mud in a negative way.

Even if you wall paper, you want to prime and paint, otherwise the wall
paper & glue will stick to the drywall paper, and you could never remove
it.
Grandpa Koca

Dave Solly wrote:
I'm just about finished striping the wallpaper from our kitchen wall. We
want to texture the wall and paint it. I thought I saw on some TV show
someone adding the paint to the drywall mud, and therefore skipped the
steps of priming and painting. The added benefit would be that if a spot
got chipped, you wouldn't have a white spot.

Anyone know how to do this? Do you use powered drywall and mix the paint
in, or can you do it with ready mixed drywall mud?

Thanks.

Dave

From my experience, there is only one thing worse than textured walls
in a kitchen, and that's a popcorn ceiling. If at all possible, I would
recommend that you make the walls as smooth as possible and paint with a
good washable enamel. Makes keeping the kitchen clean a whole lot easier.
But if you are going to texture it, then don't dilute the ready mix with
paint. Get a dry bag, and a large bucket. Substitute a gallon of latex
paint for a gallon of the recommended water amount and mix. Consistent
texturing over a large area is tricky if you're not experienced or
"artistic."

--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked. It is price
competitive. If you like, I'll trade for one of yours.

m Ransley

You may find it still has to be repainted since the mud will absorbe
the paint and need sealing, it is possibly worth a try.
But texture paint is ready to go and mixed properly , can be bought in
different grades and insures future touch ups will have the right
texture.

DanG

This is not done to skip the prime and paint. I use this method
for "roller stipple" texture. It adds more body to the texture
and makes the texture stand up. It also pre-colors the texture if
you use the intended wall color.

I mix 1 box of premixed mud to a gallon or two of paint applied
with a long nap roller (3/4 or more). It does demand that you
give the walls a uniform application and really watch the texture
you are leaving.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Dave Solly" wrote in message
I'm just about finished striping the wallpaper from our kitchen
wall. We
want to texture the wall and paint it. I thought I saw on some
TV show
someone adding the paint to the drywall mud, and therefore
skipped the
steps of priming and painting. The added benefit would be that
if a spot
got chipped, you wouldn't have a white spot.

Anyone know how to do this? Do you use powered drywall and mix
the paint
in, or can you do it with ready mixed drywall mud?

Thanks.

Dave

Kyle Boatright

From my experience, there is only one thing worse than textured walls in a
kitchen, and that's a popcorn ceiling. If at all possible, I would
recommend that you make the walls as smooth as possible and paint with a
good washable enamel. Makes keeping the kitchen clean a whole lot easier.
But if you are going to texture it, then don't dilute the ready mix with
paint. Get a dry bag, and a large bucket. Substitute a gallon of latex
paint for a gallon of the recommended water amount and mix. Consistent
texturing over a large area is tricky if you're not experienced or
"artistic."

--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten

Excellent advise. You ever try to repair a ding in a popcorn ceiling or a
textured wall? It is nearly impossible to make a repair that doesn't stick
out like a sore thumb. With smooth walls and ceilings, you can fix any
damage to the point where it is invisible...

Sunflower

"Dave Solly" wrote in message
I'm just about finished striping the wallpaper from our kitchen wall. We
want to texture the wall and paint it. I thought I saw on some TV show
someone adding the paint to the drywall mud, and therefore skipped the
steps of priming and painting. The added benefit would be that if a spot
got chipped, you wouldn't have a white spot.

Anyone know how to do this? Do you use powered drywall and mix the paint
in, or can you do it with ready mixed drywall mud?

Thanks.

Dave

This must be your first kitchen. Otherwise you'd already know that
"texture" is a bad thing in a kitchen. That is, if you ever do more cooking
than heating up a box dinner in a microwave. Textures trap grease, which
traps dirt, and it all turns to this really sticky mung that's incredibly
hard to remove down deep in the crevices. That's why I hate even cabinets
with too much molding to them. Too many places for grease and dirt to hide
and not be gotten to easily. The perfect surface for kitchen walls and
ceiling would be stainless steel or porcelain, which a lot of commercial
kitchens have. At least a nice semi gloss painted flat surface is more
easily scrubbable. Stick with that.

And if you're gonna experiment with applying a texture to a surface, then do
so in a second bedroom or laundry room or some place you won't stare at the
imperfections each and every day. Because it takes a lot of skill to do
right, and even lots of experienced painters don't do so hot a job at it.
And it's even harder to remove than wallpaper is. So don't curse yourself
with "individuality". You can still put your stamp on your home without
ruining it's practical aspects. Besides, textured walls in anything other
than a genuine adobe or hundred year old falling down wreck are an
affectation and look kinda stupid.