dmorgan-with-suffixed-\1\-ATdslextreme.com

Default lighting Okeefe&Merritt gas oven

How can I get my gas oven to light?

I have an old O'Keefe & Merritt stove (similar to those shown at
http://www.antiquegasstoves.com/pages/okeefe.html). The oven pilot is
burning continuously.

In order to light the oven, instructions on the door tell me I'm
supposed to hold the red button on a safety valve under the stove top
for 45 seconds. While I hold the red button and turn the oven's gas
control on the front of the stove, gas flows and the oven lights and
heats up. But as soon as I release the button the gas stops flowing
and the oven goes off. Even if I make a point of holding in the button
for longer than 45 seconds.

What isn't working? I think the oven has a safety mechanism that makes
sure the pilot is on before it will let gas flow. It needs to detect
heat from the pilot. My red button is overriding that. In that case, I
think the safety mechanism heat isn't operating right. It doesn't
figure out that the pilot is on OK. But by inspection, I don't see
such a mechanism. I'm not sure what to do next. What should I look
for.

Any suggestions?
Joe Fabeitz

Most "standing pilot" arrangements have the flame from the pilot light heat
a sensor (thermocouple) which then 1) allows gas to the pilot to continue
flowing and 2) enables the main gas valve to operate. You are probably
correct in thinking this thermocouple is "hosed" or out of place.

To describe it: picture a thin piece if tubing, like the tube inside a ball
point pen. The end that gets heated is a little thicker and the other end
connects to the gas valve.

Look closely near the pilot light nozzle for this device. When it fails,
there no fixin it, just replacin it.

dmorgan-with-suffixed-"1"-ATdslextreme.com wrote in message
[...]

Thank you. Can you tell from photos of my oven if my problem is indeed
a missing thermocouple? Please see the photos at

http://members.dslextreme.com/~dmorgan1/oven/

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 07:56:31 -0400, "Joe Fabeitz"
wrote:

Most "standing pilot" arrangements have the flame from the pilot light heat
a sensor (thermocouple) which then 1) allows gas to the pilot to continue
flowing and 2) enables the main gas valve to operate. You are probably
correct in thinking this thermocouple is "hosed" or out of place.

To describe it: picture a thin piece if tubing, like the tube inside a ball
point pen. The end that gets heated is a little thicker and the other end
connects to the gas valve.

Look closely near the pilot light nozzle for this device. When it fails,
there no fixin it, just replacin it.

m Ransley

its a space freighter going into orbit

m Ransley

It still looks like an Alien freighter , But unless some homegrownfood
comes out of it its Alien

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to dmorgan-with-suffixed-"1"-AT, Shannon2000 wrote:
Should the red button be pressed down in order to light the pilot light for
even cause mine won't go down?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...en-562515-.htm