Default home depot unfinished hardwood floor inferior?

HI,

I was looking for unfinished red-oak select or better hardwood floors
in a MA home depot store. Noticed that the stuff they claim to be
select is actually marked as #1 common by the manufacture. The
manufacture is Harris Tarkett. Also, the floor does not have NORMA
stamping on the back.

This made me wonder if home depot has its own definition of select and
actually making #1 common grade as select grade. When I asked the
workers there, they said that is select with no further explanations.

Anyone else has experience with home depot's unfinished hardwood
flooring?

Thanks
-eve

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
HI,

I was looking for unfinished red-oak select or better hardwood floors
in a MA home depot store.

Since you are in MA, it is not all that far to go to CT. You may want to
check out the flooring at CT Hardwood Group in Enfield CT. They do have a
web page showing what they make. I don't know about cost, but you can be
sure the quality is better.

Shannon Pate

The guys at Home Depot, and most of the general public, think hardwood is
hardwood. Sure, they know theres oak, cherry, and others, but that it.

They don't know theres Red Oak or White Oak...

They don't know the difference between #1 & #2

Nor do they realize the benefit of select over common.

My guess is the boards are exactly as marked. #1 Common, which by the way,
makes a very pretty floor.

Shannon Pate