coolneo

Default Plumber Work - Quote

Hello Everyone!

I have a plumber coming over in the morning to quote some work -

1) I need washer supply lines runs moved/run. The new location for the
washer is about 5 feet from the old location.

2) I also need the drain extended to reach the new location.

3) Finally, I need a gas line run about 3 feet for the dryer.

I've been reading nothing but horror stories on this and many other
forums about plumbers ripping people off, seems like the only one
defending plumbers are other plumbers. I'm a relatively new home owner
- so I wouldn't know.

Can someone give me an idea as to the price range for the work I need
done? If they plumber says $50 I'd be very surprised - if he says
$2,000 I'll leave the damn washer where it is!

Any info would be great!

Thanks,
Jay
Michael Baugh

Well, I could do the stuff for 50 dollars in parts.
You could too. A 3" pipe to receive the washer discharge,
deliver to existing sewer pipe or floor drain. For $20 you could
rent a hammer drill and cut a line in your basement floor for
a drain extension.
You could cut and extend those lines, whatever they are. Or
double the supply line lengths.
If copper, I prefer Copper-Bond for the connections, rather than a
solder job, and I did it the other way for over a quarter century.
If plastic pipe, the materials cost is extremely low.
Black pipe for gas line extension is cheap. Or a longer flexline.
Well, you get the idea. Either learn how to do these things, or
be ready for the 'ouch' when someone gives you the price.

coolneo wrote in message
om...
Hello Everyone!

I have a plumber coming over in the morning to quote some work -

1) I need washer supply lines runs moved/run. The new location for the
washer is about 5 feet from the old location.

2) I also need the drain extended to reach the new location.

3) Finally, I need a gas line run about 3 feet for the dryer.

I've been reading nothing but horror stories on this and many other
forums about plumbers ripping people off, seems like the only one
defending plumbers are other plumbers. I'm a relatively new home owner
- so I wouldn't know.

Can someone give me an idea as to the price range for the work I need
done? If they plumber says $50 I'd be very surprised - if he says
$2,000 I'll leave the damn washer where it is!

Any info would be great!

Thanks,
Jay

Speedy Jim

coolneo wrote:

Hello Everyone!

I have a plumber coming over in the morning to quote some work -

1) I need washer supply lines runs moved/run. The new location for the
washer is about 5 feet from the old location.

2) I also need the drain extended to reach the new location.

3) Finally, I need a gas line run about 3 feet for the dryer.

You can get washer hoses in the length you need.
Extending the gas line a few feet, or maybe using a flex,
shouldn't be outrageous.

Given all the variables, to do what you proposed could easily
cost 1 to 2K$ (done right).

Jim
pet

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 13:28:41 -0700, coolneo wrote:

Hello Everyone!

I have a plumber coming over in the morning to quote some work -

1) I need washer supply lines runs moved/run. The new location for the
washer is about 5 feet from the old location.

2) I also need the drain extended to reach the new location.

3) Finally, I need a gas line run about 3 feet for the dryer.

I've been reading nothing but horror stories on this and many other
forums about plumbers ripping people off, seems like the only one
defending plumbers are other plumbers. I'm a relatively new home owner
- so I wouldn't know.

Can someone give me an idea as to the price range for the work I need
done? If they plumber says $50 I'd be very surprised - if he says
$2,000 I'll leave the damn washer where it is!

Any info would be great!

Thanks,
Jay

I'd be surprised if it took more than 2 hrs + materials. Why not do it
yourself?

Paul

.. .

coolneo wrote in message
[...]

What is copper bond???

MLD

True--you could and should at least try to do a lot of the work yourself
However, fooling around with a gas installation is another thing. Any bad
problem with your gas line and you might find yourself out of luck with your
insurance company. As much as it hurts, working on gas lines requires
someone who is licensed--take a hard look at the risk/reward part of this
one.
MLD
"coolneo" wrote in message
[...]

Chet Hayes

Speedy Jim wrote in message ...
coolneo wrote:

Hello Everyone!

I have a plumber coming over in the morning to quote some work -

1) I need washer supply lines runs moved/run. The new location for the
washer is about 5 feet from the old location.

2) I also need the drain extended to reach the new location.

3) Finally, I need a gas line run about 3 feet for the dryer.

You can get washer hoses in the length you need.
Extending the gas line a few feet, or maybe using a flex,
shouldn't be outrageous.

Given all the variables, to do what you proposed could easily
cost 1 to 2K$ (done right).

Jim

If you think 1-2K$ is a typical price for this work, please call me
next time you need something done.
Speedy Jim

Chet Hayes wrote:

Speedy Jim wrote in message ...

Given all the variables, to do what you proposed could easily
cost 1 to 2K$ (done right).

Jim

If you think 1-2K$ is a typical price for this work, please call me
next time you need something done.

Look again; I didn't say "typical". Given the variables in the
situation, OP could have been looking at digging up the floor,
re-configuring vents or any number of other "horribles" in order
to meet inspection requirements.

Sure, it might be done on the cheap for $100 in some places,
but not in Chi, or NY (for example).
Jim
coolneo

pet wrote in message ...
[...]

I've never done any plumbing, so I'm a little reluctant to do this
myself. But, if the price comes in at 1-2K I will definetly try to do
part of the job myself. I may just get longer hoses to the washer. The
gas line I won't mess with though.