DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Garage electric outlets not working (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/72836-garage-electric-outlets-not-working.html)

Basha October 11th 04 09:42 PM

Garage electric outlets not working

Hi,

I recently moved into my first house (year built 1993). After a week,
I noticed that the electric outlets in the garage not working along
with one outlet outside just adjacent to garage. I checked all the
GFCIs. I checked all the circuit breakers. They look ok. I got onto
the attique and couldn't find where those outlets are feeding from.
The grage door opener and the light bulbs in garage are working fine.
They are fed from seperate line. Is there a way that I can
troubleshoot/find out where these outlets are feeding from? Is there
anything I can do from my side or is it better to call an electrician?

Thanks for help.

Basha

Speedy Jim October 11th 04 09:45 PM

Basha wrote:

Hi,

I recently moved into my first house (year built 1993). After a week,
I noticed that the electric outlets in the garage not working along
with one outlet outside just adjacent to garage. I checked all the
GFCIs. I checked all the circuit breakers. They look ok. I got onto
the attique and couldn't find where those outlets are feeding from.
The grage door opener and the light bulbs in garage are working fine.
They are fed from seperate line. Is there a way that I can
troubleshoot/find out where these outlets are feeding from? Is there
anything I can do from my side or is it better to call an electrician?

Thanks for help.

Basha

TEST and RESET each GFCI receptacle.

Switch the GFCI circuit breaker to the OFF position and then back ON.

Sometimes they can look like they are On when not.

Jim

WORSS October 11th 04 09:49 PM

Basha,

You need to determine where you have power and where you do not. I suspect
that there is another GFCI that you are not aware of that may have
tripped....look again. If not, you need to buy a cheap circuit tester at
your local hardware store. Some only need to be close to detect power. You
then need to see where your power stops. It must either be a tripped GFCI,
a bad breaker, or a disconnected wire. Also, try turning the breaker off
and then back on...sometimes it is hard to tell when they have tripped. If
you don't know what you are doing, call an electrician.

Bill
m...

Tony Hwang October 11th 04 10:00 PM

Basha wrote:

Hi,

I recently moved into my first house (year built 1993). After a week,
I noticed that the electric outlets in the garage not working along
with one outlet outside just adjacent to garage. I checked all the
GFCIs. I checked all the circuit breakers. They look ok. I got onto
the attique and couldn't find where those outlets are feeding from.
The grage door opener and the light bulbs in garage are working fine.
They are fed from seperate line. Is there a way that I can
troubleshoot/find out where these outlets are feeding from? Is there
anything I can do from my side or is it better to call an electrician?

Thanks for help.

Basha

Hi,
Some times good looking GFCI breakers can be bad. Have a multi-meter?
Get an El Cheapo one if not, very handy for trouble-shooting.
Tony

Rich October 11th 04 10:04 PM

Get yourself a good circuit tester such as the
A.W. Sperry CS-600A to find the breaker.
Rich
http://www.garage-door-hardware.com

Rudy October 11th 04 10:08 PM

TEST and RESET each GFCI receptacle.

Switch the GFCI circuit breaker to the OFF position and then back ON.

Sometimes they can look like they are On when not.

If that doesnt work..Keep looking, theres another one

TOM October 11th 04 11:05 PM

Several replies about finding a GFCI are usually correct. Back in the
1990's, the GFCI outlets could be hidden almost anywhere - today
they are usually closer to the affected outlet.

Sneaky places the GFCI may be located:

Bathroom. Usually needed here, it may feed the garage.
Kitchen. Sometimes underneath the sink feeding the garbage
disposal, may also feed the garage.
Water heater closet. Will not feed an electric water heater,
but sometimes the closet is close to the garage, and the
GFCI may be hidden in there just because it's convient.

-- Tom

slushfund October 11th 04 11:34 PM

check the bathroom

Tekkie October 11th 04 11:45 PM

Basha posted for all of us....

Hi,

I recently moved into my first house (year built 1993). After a week,
I noticed that the electric outlets in the garage not working along
with one outlet outside just adjacent to garage. I checked all the
GFCIs. I checked all the circuit breakers. They look ok. I got onto
the attique and couldn't find where those outlets are feeding from.
The grage door opener and the light bulbs in garage are working fine.
They are fed from seperate line. Is there a way that I can
troubleshoot/find out where these outlets are feeding from? Is there
anything I can do from my side or is it better to call an electrician?

Thanks for help.

Basha

Like the other answers it's a GFCI somewhere, look for outside outlets too.
--
Tekkie

HA HA Budys Here October 12th 04 01:14 AM

From: "TOM" main

Several replies about finding a GFCI are usually correct. Back in the
1990's, the GFCI outlets could be hidden almost anywhere - today
they are usually closer to the affected outlet.

Sneaky places the GFCI may be located:

Bathroom. Usually needed here, it may feed the garage.

Kitchen. Sometimes underneath the sink feeding the garbage
disposal, may also feed the garage.

No it may not, unless some jackleg wired the circuit.

Water heater closet. Will not feed an electric water heater,
but sometimes the closet is close to the garage, and the
GFCI may be hidden in there just because it's convient.

-- Tom

Try every bathroom and lavatory, the basement, and mud room.

om...

Himanshu October 12th 04 03:51 AM

Basha wrote:

I recently moved into my first house (year built 1993). After a week,
I noticed that the electric outlets in the garage not working along
with one outlet outside just adjacent to garage. I checked all the
GFCIs. I checked all the circuit breakers. They look ok.

Even if the breakers look ok, try switching them off-and-on.

I got onto
the attique and couldn't find where those outlets are feeding from.
The grage door opener and the light bulbs in garage are working fine.
They are fed from seperate line. Is there a way that I can
troubleshoot/find out where these outlets are feeding from?

Since I was alone and kept going up-and-down from the attic to the
basement and into-and-out of several rooms, it took me a few hours to
figure out the wiring in a house that I moved into. However, it depends
on how much of your wiring is visible and/or accessible.

Correlate the wiring with circuit breakers - if you know which circuit
breaker controls which outlet/receptacle, then start from there and
trace the wiring to other outlets and receptacles till you figure out
each circuit. If you do this one circuit at a time and draw it on a few
pieces of paper, you'll have complete understanding of the wiring in
your house, which will help in the long run.

--
Himanshu

John Gilmer October 14th 04 06:05 AM

TEST and RESET each GFCI receptacle.

Switch the GFCI circuit breaker to the OFF position and then back ON.

Sometimes they can look like they are On when not.

Yep. Sometimes that "fail open."

Take the cover off and use a VOM or a neon test to see whether you have
power coming to the GFCI. If you do, REPLACE it. If you don't look "up
stream."

Jim